Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford is giving its F-Series Super Duty trucks some upgrades for 2015, and we're happy to say that one of them is an improved Power Stroke diesel V8. Also, Ford is strengthening the top-of-the-line F-450 to handle more abuse. And if wild west-style luxury is your thing, the automaker has performed minor cosmetic updates to its King Ranch Edition trucks, as well.

The turbocharged 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 is currently rated at 400 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque, and Ford only tells us the new and improved Power Stroke can "produce power beyond today's" engine. What, then, did Ford actually improve upon? First, the Blue Oval swapped in a new, larger turbocharger. The new Garrett GT37 turbine unit is 72.5 millimeters in diameter, eclipsing the old GT32's 64-mm diameter piece. Ford states output increases with the new turbo setup, but since the new turbocharger operates at a lower peak pressure than the old one, the automaker was able to eliminate the wastegate system and reduce the engine's complexity. Ford even redesigned the turbo's oil and cooling lines to make the powerplant simpler. A byproduct of the larger turbo is better engine exhaust braking, which is controlled manually by a button on the dashboard.
More at this link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/26/ford-f-series-super-duty-power-stroke-king-ranch/

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any guesses on power?
Current is 400 HP and 800 lb-ft

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah, I've looked for any hint at the power improvements all day, haven't found any numbers yet.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Well, we know it will be king.
And American engineered, unlike the Japanese engineered GM engine.
Racist much?

The GM engines are engineered by GM and Isuzu who incidentally are pretty well known for their heavy duty commercial trucks. Those commercial trucks tend to be no better than their power trains and Isuzu builds some durable and powerful engines. Nothing wrong with that mash up IMO.

As for Duramax vs. Cummins, vs. Power Stroke I don't think there is a bad diesel among the heavy duty pick up builders.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Racist much?

The GM engines are engineered by GM and Isuzu who incidentally are pretty well known for their heavy duty commercial trucks. Those commercial trucks tend to be no better than their power trains and Isuzu builds some durable and powerful engines. Nothing wrong with that mash up IMO.

As for Duramax vs. Cummins, vs. Power Stroke I don't think there is a bad diesel among the heavy duty pick up builders.
soooooo mentioning the Japanese makes me racist?
What the **** is wrong with you?

And I know who engineered the thing, it was Isuzu engineers, who are Japanese mostly. GM engineers watched, pointed a lot and nodded their heads.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I see them making some good improvements on things that can go wrong when hauling heavy loads or stressing the vehicle. This makes for a more dependable and cheaper to maintain work truck.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
soooooo mentioning the Japanese makes me racist?
No. However suggesting that the Ford will be king and then using the nationalities of those who developed the engines as your reason reeks of racism. And for the record, I understood it was really your homerism that led you to make that comment.

What the **** is wrong with you?
I lost my rose colored glasses?

And I know who engineered the thing, it was Isuzu engineers, who are Japanese mostly. GM engineers watched, pointed a lot and nodded their heads.
So now your inside information extends to other companies? How would it matter if the engineers were "Japanese mostly"? Would it make a well designed engine less good?

It is ironic that you think Ford better qualified to design heavy duty diesel engines than a company for whom heavy duty commercial trucks powered by heavy duty diesel engines is their primary business. I'm not saying Ford hasn't excelled, but to be dismissive of Isuzu because they're Japanese in inane.

If there is a single segment of the auto industry that is well designed and built across all manufactures it is full size trucks, both light and heavy duty. Brand loyalty tends to be the driving factor in purchases in that segment, but you will not end up with anything less than an exceptional vehicle if you choose Ford, GM, or Ram.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
No. However suggesting that the Ford will be king and then using the nationalities of those who developed the engines as your reason reeks of racism. And for the record, I understood it was really your homerism that led you to make that comment.

I lost my rose colored glasses?

So now your inside information extends to other companies? How would it matter if the engineers were "Japanese mostly"? Would it make a well designed engine less good?

It is ironic that you think Ford better qualified to design heavy duty diesel engines than a company for whom heavy duty commercial trucks powered by heavy duty diesel engines is their primary business. I'm not saying Ford hasn't excelled, but to be dismissive of Isuzu because they're Japanese in inane.

If there is a single segment of the auto industry that is well designed and built across all manufactures it is full size trucks, both light and heavy duty. Brand loyalty tends to be the driving factor in purchases in that segment, but you will not end up with anything less than an exceptional vehicle if you choose Ford, GM, or Ram.

Back on topic,

In another forum I predicted the following numbers will be announced, although I actually have no idea, I made an educated guess from the announced improvements.

425hp
810ftlbs

And yeah, sorry that offends some here enough to throw racial insults, but that does in fact make it “King”

·
Registered
54 Posts
Back on topic,

In another forum I predicted the following numbers will be announced, although I actually have no idea, I made an educated guess from the announced improvements.

425hp
810ftlbs

And yeah, sorry that offends some here enough to throw racial insults, but that does in fact make it “King”
FYI, Dodge / Cummins is now 385 hp & 850ft/LB - so yes, HP they would be king at those numbers, but still lagging in the part we all know that matters - "Torque"

From their web site.....

"when eqipped with the available 6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine. When mated to the available AISIN automatic transmission, it generates Best-in-Class 850 pound-feet of maximum torque+, with a maximum towing capacity of 30,000 pounds"

And No, I'm not bashing, just informing.... I bleed blue

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Oh ****, being a price isn't as good as being king, but it's a **** of a lot better than being the frog!!

Is that some sort of frog racism?

Like I said, we shall see where the numbers fall for being King of power, in addition to already being King by a long shot where it really matters -- sales.

And just like pavlov's law, when I now see your name, I will get a hankering for some Japanese sushi.

:thumb:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Is that some sort of frog racism?
Tastes like chicken, who could hate that?

Like I said, we shall see where the numbers fall for being King of power, in addition to already being King by a long shot where it really matters -- sales.
In reality they've all gone so far beyond what 98% of heavy duty truck buyers actually need it's ridiculous!! If you're in that 2% then this power war is awesome, if you're in the other 98% you would probably be happier with a smaller, less expensive, more economical diesel in the 300hp/600lbs range. I think the escalation in power has opened up a market for just such an engine, but I'm sure development of two engines would likely out weight the benefits to Ford.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
^

You think the mega Diesel race has opened up a market for less powerful Diesels?
You must be referring to the EcoDiesel that just now is hitting the streets. Not exactly a market yet, so can't say I agree there.

Ford is watching closely to see what happens to the Diesel market. In cars, it is mostly offered by players who have no skin in the hybrid game. Trucks could motivate them, except for the fact they have several solutions in the works that might be more attractive.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^

You think the mega Diesel race has opened up a market for less powerful Diesels?
You must be referring to the EcoDiesel that just now is hitting the streets. Not exactly a market yet, so can't say I agree there.

Ford is watching closely to see what happens to the Diesel market. In cars, it is mostly offered by players who have no skin in the hybrid game. Trucks could motivate them, except for the fact they have several solutions in the works that might be more attractive.
The 6.2 sits at 405ftlbs and the Power Stroke at 800, soon to be more as you've said. That is an immense gap! You don't think there is a market for the benefits of diesel engines but not in need of 800+ in the torque category? I would bet that the majority of non commercial F-350 owners are using them to pull boats, car trailers, and campers that in most cases have no need of that 800+. IMO the only issue is if a diesel that fits between the 6.2 and 6.7 (power wise) can be built to satisfy that market while still offering enough of a lower price/improved efficiency from the 6.7 to be viable.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Perhaps someone with their very blue, and oval glasses has forgotten about the 6 Leaker Power Broke engine debacle?
I certainly did not forget about the once great Navistar union with Ford that went sour due to their lack of quality control.

That is exactly what motivated Ford to build their own, far better Diesel engine.

If that was yet another diss Ford attempt by you, well, par for your course. Reach deeper son. Ford owns the large Diesel market, and if they one day choose to own the mid power Diesel market, then I am pretty sure they can handle that too.

So in the meantime, far more capable turbo motors in much lighter trucks with more gears getting far better fuel economy and less money than Diesels.......is one plan. Luckily, they have another plan in the works too.

But I know, ragging on Ford is completely noble, yet talking them up is a bad thing.

Shame on me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd be happy with a Econo/Power switch... Once gives me 400ft/lbs and 25+ mpg the other gives me the King of the Hill 800 Ft/lbs.... Provide that and you'd certainly have a winner IMO

1 - 20 of 44 Posts