Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Fusion jumps thanks to Flat Rock
Ford Inside News
October 1, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

Ford announced this morning an increase of six percent for the US market during September 2013. The increase allowed Ford to gain market share and was also the best September since 2006. September 2013 had two less selling days than September 2012.

The expansion of Fusion production to Flat Rock helped the model increase 62 percent compared to a year ago. Retail sales were up 59 percent in the same period. The facelift to the Fiesta also allowed an increase of 29 percent overall with a 41 percent increase in retail sales.

Ford F-Series sales increased 10 percent to over 60,000 units marking the fifth straight month above that figure.

Other Ford brand increases came from the Taurus PI with 57 percent, Flex with a 9.4 percent, and Explorer PI with a 120 percent.

The Lincoln MkZ saw a September record as sales increased 12 percent.

Tables -or- Tables

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
MKX took a hard hit down 25 percent. Lincoln overall down 5.1 percent. New product is needed asap, the new MKZ has not stopped the bleeding, I hope the MKC will do that but I fear for the MKX, the C will eat into its sales.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Both the MKX and Edge were down considerably, which is not surprising because those are coming due for a refresh. I expect a further decline for the next year until the new models hit dealer lots. MKC will certainly steal MKX sales for the first 6-12 months until the all-new MKX is out, then things should correct themselves a bit.

It's surprising to note how consistent Navigator sales have been despite it being long overdue for a refresh. It is still solidly the #3 product for Lincoln, ahead of the MKS and MKT which were both refreshed last year. The upcoming refresh should provide a further boost to Lincoln's continually sagging numbers.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I wonder why Ford is allowing it's passenger car sales to slide.

- Focus sales are down again this month to 16,733 or -15%(lowest sales since Jan 2013).

- Fiesta at 5043 had it's lowest sales since Feb 2013 at 5015.

- C-Max at 2182 had it's lowest sales month since it's launch month of just 969 units in Sept 2012.

- Fusion moving from 12,300(it's lowest sales month of 2012), up to just 19,972(the lowest sales month since Dec 2012) is not a good sign.

- Edge at 8548 had it's lowest sales since Oct 2012 at 8406

It seems all the media hype about Ford charging more for their cars, has sent consumers to where they know they can get the lower price they were looking for.

Ford is getting it's butt kicked by Toyota, Honda and Nissan on passenger cars, with their Zero Down and Zero Drive Off lease plans.

It's time for Ford to get into the game.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Some of the sagging sales are also the result of incentive cycles drying up with the 2014 MY cars now on lots, that may be the case with Edge and MKX in particular.

The new MKZ is not a blockbuster by any means, sales are pretty mediocre for its segment, but it's more expensive and less incentivized than before which is something to consider. The MKZ is probably not cannibalizing Lincoln as much as people think, they are probably adding new Lincoln customers while the old customers are going away at great speed. It's going to take more new stuff before they stop the slide. The MKC will almost certainly cannibalize MKX sales for the year before the next-MKX launches, but it will likely add allot more customers than Lincoln is loosing right now.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
the link is not working...it´s good to see the that the MKZ is selling better tan last year, but Lincoln needs more new vehicles and also to sell more MKZ, at least 4000 per month

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The Focus down 15%... is a fail in USA. Why??? I think is about the cramped and busy interior. USA customers needs more room and a less overdesigned interior in this segment. A hit in Europe and China, a fail in USA. "One Ford" filosophy in problems?? This segment is very important in volume for Ford. And needs attention.
The MK Z is a fail. Lincoln needs to sell 5000 MK Z to vigorizate the brand. Is a big fail. Mark Wolff needs to revise why the Fusion is atracting entry level luxury sedan's customers, that the MKZ had to attract. Is the exterior style the problem? Is the interior the problem? Is time to analize what happen with this car, not to repite the mistake with the upcoming products.
The Edge is losing sales to the Explorer... i think
The rest of the line is doing it OK.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Ford is up 6%, while the industry is down 5% for a net difference of 11%....and everyone here is worried.

Oh, and Ford is within 2k sales of GM for the month.

So there is that...........
I'm not worried... i'm happy to see Ford gaining market share, again. I'm worried about some details of the sales charts and the performance of some cars in the Ford line up. If Ford can fix the problems, can sell more vehicles... The Focus and the MK Z are critical for Ford and Lincoln. So, is important to know why are not selling as well as expected.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The Focus down 15%... is a fail in USA. Why??? I think is about the cramped and busy interior. USA customers needs more room and a less overdesigned interior in this segment. A hit in Europe and China, a fail in USA. "One Ford" filosophy in problems?? This segment is very important in volume for Ford. And needs attention.
Ford has over 30k Focus units in inventory on a daily basis. So it's not a production issue. It's clearly a pricing issue. Honda offers $0 Down and $210/mo lease on the Civic LX. Ford was offering $170/mo but $2500 down. Or about $240/mo. Which means the young person had to have $2500 cash with Ford or Zero cash and get a new Civic. Which is why Honda moved 39k Civics to Ford's 16k Focus.

This same cycle played out with the Fusion also. Where Toyota and Honda offered Zero Down lease deals, and sold 44k or 38k to Ford at 19k Fusions.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
September and October are bad months to look at because of the transition to new MY inventories, and the heavy incentivizing that goes along with it.

The MKZ is doing quite well for Lincoln, the nameplate is outselling the ATS, XTS, and CTS for example, despite being a very inexpensively developed luxury car with similar pricing. Of course, I understand Caddy way outsells Lincoln collectively with higher ATPs, and the MKZ is hardly an engineering marvel to be celebrated, but it's a start and even if the MKZ is a little disingenuous, it's still attracting more customers than before which means Lincoln isn't a waste of time. It's hard to imagine Lincoln won't grow with MKC, but it's going to take a new MKS, MKX, and MKT to really grow. And we don't yet know how the market will react to those products, it could be very successful or it may do very little. In either case, it likely won't be the fault of their current strategy of reusing Ford platforms because if they can't stabilize or grow by being a better than before, why give them more money to fail bigger? It's still amateur hour at Lincoln, they have allot to learn before they can spend real money on Lincoln exclusives. And Lincoln simply doesn't have a captive audience to begin with, you can't make cars without customers who want them. Lincoln still has a relevancy problem and I don't think we are any closer to fixing that one yet, especially with the failed MKZ launch and marketing blitz.

I honestly believe Lincoln has a pretty good chance at staying in business with a leadership that is heavily invested and strategic about their plans for Lincoln. But it remains to be seen if their is enough enthusiasm at Ford in the longterm, they tend to have short attention spans when they change leadership.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Why the worry on the Focus, year to date sales is ahead of last year and on its way to beat last years overall sales numbers.
This One Ford Focus also beats the previous North American Focus sales history. Previous Focus sales had yearly decreases from 2002 to 2011.
This One Ford failure has increased its yearly sales and on track again to increase this year.

And I believe for the USA market the midsize car segment (Fusion) is "the" important volume segment for Ford N.A.
Hence the decision for Ford N.A. to be the lead in producing the new Fusion and Europe being the lead on the small car segments (Fiesta & Focus)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Is it impossible for one to perhaps take a closer look at Ford sales without an accusatory tone being used? Bloggin has very valid commentary in regards to Ford's car sales, and there are areas that justify closer scrutiny.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts