Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Will Unveil Chevrolet Bolt Competitor This Year
Automobile

Ford will unveil a 200-plus-mile capable electric vehicle designed to compete with the Chevrolet Bolt later this year, AUTOMOBILE has learned. Scant details are available, and it is unclear whether Ford will bring a long-range full electric to market by 2017, the year General Motors plans to launch the Chevy Bolt. But the Ford competitor serves as reassurance that the age-old rivalry between the two mainstream American brands goes beyond pony cars and pickup trucks, and extends to green cars.

With this car, Ford also will be ready to compete with Tesla, which has promised an “affordable” pure electric called the Model 3 for under $40,000 after its oft-delayed Model X debut, as well as with potential rivals from Google and Apple. Last year, Google unveiled its own fully autonomous, electric prototypes, assembled by Roush, a close and longtime supplier to Ford Motor Company. Apple has hired away engineers from Ford Motor Company and is rumored to be working on a car of its own.

There’s no indication that the Ford electric car will be ready for the New York International Auto Show this April. Instead, a debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November seems likely – after all, California’s electric car mandate has pushed development of the technology. Ford cannot afford to slip behind the competition in developing its own battery chemistry. The Chevy Bolt, which premiered in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, is scheduled to begin production in 2017 at General Motors’ Orion, Michigan, assembly plant.

Ford's official word is that the story is not accurate.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As we already know, the new C2 platform is set to launch a new dedicated hybrid in 2017 for MY2018, where the Focus riding on a version of the same platform will offer more body styles as well. Along with a new C-Max. This 200 mile EV seems to be same schedule. The current Focus Electric is also testing Combo Fast Charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am positive they are working on electric car(s) for that time frame but this article is short on actual news...
Ford is not pushing for a 150kw spec for the Combo Fast Charger just for fun along with comments some execs have made...

·
Registered
528 Posts
BTW ... I know I have made this same mistake before, but C2 is the current platform, isn't it? So the next one should be C3? But if they take the all-new platform and build a good electric (or plug-in) on it .... I think the C-Max was a bit of a mis-step, I think Ford needs a proper ground-up high-efficiency body / model.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The title is factually in error - this Ford was conceived before the Bolt, therefore Chevrolet is unveiling a competitor to the Ford. Just because Chevrolet brought out something to get them attention before Ford did, that does not make the Ford a competitor of the Bolt. Ford is the standard in this segment for the domestics and Chevrolet has failed miserably in anything that is beyond a mild hybrid.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW ... I know I have made this same mistake before, but C2 is the current platform, isn't it? So the next one should be C3? But if they take the all-new platform and build a good electric (or plug-in) on it .... I think the C-Max was a bit of a mis-step, I think Ford needs a proper ground-up high-efficiency body / model.
The platform remains C2, but for instance the hybrid platform gets the C240 name. So maybe the EV will be C250 and Focus C220. But it's still a C2 platform. And yes, the C-Max should also get a ground up rebuild, that much lighter and better able to handle the various battery packs/drive trains, along with AWD.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I.O.U. :thumb:s
&
Welcome to the forum, UptheIrons :joyous:

&
-- a LOT can (make that WILL) change by 2017
-- of course I hope Lincoln gets BEVs FIRST and
-- "A.M.P" (as well as Lincoln) gets an assortment of plug-ins
-- imho, just a C-electric-ish or TEN won't make anybody a rival to Tesla
-- and if the Bolt is B-segment, imho, NObody should care about it

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Innnnteresting, when I get to my next car purchase I think I'd like an electric, and while I quite like the Focus, a unique vehicle would appeal more to me. I am a big fan of the Bolt, so if Ford comes up with an interesting design for their small electric, I would pay close attention...

·
Registered
528 Posts
The platform remains C2, but for instance the hybrid platform gets the C240 name. So maybe the EV will be C250 and Focus C220. But it's still a C2 platform. And yes, the C-Max should also get a ground up rebuild, that much lighter and better able to handle the various battery packs/drive trains, along with AWD.
hmm ... that is actually quite worrisome.

The current platform dates back to 2004 Focus / 2004 Mazda3 / 2004 S40. The next gen was to be a ground-up rebuild on new bones. If they are keeping the C2XX codes, I am worried they will do a third generation of top-hats on the same old platform. The C2 is a fine platform, but it's aging fast. The Mazda Skyactiv is running circles around it, and I expect the new VW MQB (new Golf, new A3) will begin coming out ahead in comparisons as well. the Focus needs a thorough redesign, lower weight, take out some of the visual bloat and make the car ready for the next 10 years. Am I missing something?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I don't trust calling anything "C2" yet, let alone "C3". As far as I'm concerned the current platform is C1.5 at best**
& I don't care what FoMoCo calls it ( imho there's deliberate confusion about this - I've seen Yurps go by Focus refreshes - the cy2004½+ cars (S40 was first) were definitely "C1" )(my Fave is the C30 so far)
and
I still believe the next, real-next, C-platform will serve cars from B thru (smallish) D segments
PLUS "contribute" architecture for A.M.P. (could easily see a 'skateboard'(™GM) style floorpan with C2 upper structure for the mostly-electrified vehicles)

** not sure about the RS

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
BTW ... I know I have made this same mistake before, but C2 is the current platform, isn't it?
I agree with 2b2, theoretically the current Global C platfom would sort of be a C1.5 platform since it's just a modified version of the C1 platform used by the previous rest-of-the-world Focus Mk2 (which was also used by Volvo and Mazda).

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On a global scale, it seems to be VW that is 'openly' leading the way with electrification. And it will be VW that Ford will have to compete with globally, including China.

Consumers will be checking their lists to see who has what. So Ford, ready to launch their next generation hybrid/plug-in hybrid/EV technology, they need to leapfrog VW right out the gate. Just as VW has done coming years late to the EV game against Ford and Nissan.

Which means that the next gen, or hopefully refreshed 2017 Fusion hybrid and Energi models 'should' get a larger/more powerful battery pack, at least matching the 8.7kWh of the Golf GTE and coming to the Passat plug-in hybrid. Current Energi pack is 7.6kWh and EPA 19 EV miles. Ford need to get to at least 25 EPA EV miles before a new model to compete with the new Volt.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...the next gen, or hopefully refreshed 2017 Fusion hybrid and Energi models 'should' get a larger/more powerful battery pack, at least matching the 8.7kWh of the Golf GTE and coming to the Passat plug-in hybrid. Current Energi pack is 7.6kWh and EPA 19 EV miles...
at puterLab so don't have my handy textfile but (OK, googled) the Hybrid only has a "TINY" 1.4kWh battery
&
I've wondered for a while just how big a hybrid (NO plug-in) battery can USEFULLY be??
:ponder:
for a city like London that persecutes ...I mean penalizes... Any petrol use,
could someone driving a distance towards London set their system to charge a sizeable battery to provide significant electric-Only propulsion range withIN the city when they get there??

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
at puterLab so don't have my handy textfile but (OK, googled) the Hybrid only has a "TINY" 1.4kWh battery
&
I've wondered for a while just how big a hybrid (NO plug-in) battery can USEFULLY be??
:ponder:
for a city like London that persecutes ...I mean penalizes... Any petrol use,
could someone driving a distance towards London set their system to charge a sizeable battery to provide significant electric-Only propulsion range withIN the city when they get there??
YES.....I think all the plug-in hybrids have a EV Hold type option that holds the battery charge and runs on ICE until the other tells the vehicle to go into EV mode. But the question is how would the authorities know the vehicle was in EV mode unless there was an external indicator.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ yeahBut
a 'nother question (which I intended above) is
How MUCH juice can charging-while-driving really produce?
-- would it take forever to charge a 7-8-9-more kWh battery from the engine while it's powering the drive wheels?
-- would it KILL the Mpg??

as for the municipal cops/sheriffs/constabulls(sic) - imho That is THEIR problem
afterall
even with a Plug-In that could easily drive all the way across a city on electric (well not greater-L.A.)
HOW do officials know it CAN(ie is fully charged) or is IN electric(pure)mode?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts