Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wave ByeBye...
Ford won't bring Ka, Ranger to U.S. - autonews.com
Amy Wilson
Automotive News
November 9, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will not sell the Ford Ka minicar or the global Ford Ranger pickup in the United States, CEO Alan Mulally says.

Mulally previously had said both vehicles were under consideration for sale here. But the Ka, a minicar developed with Fiat S.p.A., has been deemed too small for American tastes. The Ka is smaller than the subcompact Ford Fiesta, which will go on sale in the United States early next year.

"Our view is that Fiesta is about the smallest vehicle that we think will be a real success in the United States," Mulally told Automotive News.

At 142.5 inches long, the Ka is about 25 inches shorter than the Fiesta. But the Ka is a few inches longer than its sister vehicle, the Fiat 500, which Chrysler Group plans to sell in the United States in 2011.

The global Ranger is a new compact pickup, different from the aging Ranger currently sold here. It was developed in Australia for worldwide markets.

Production of the U.S. Ranger is scheduled to end in 2011. Ford has been looking for options to fill the compact pickup segment.

Last year, Ford shelved a lightweight version of the F-150. It is unclear what product, if any, will fill the current U.S. Ranger's spot.

(quoted in full cuz their articles have a way of disappearing without subscription)
-----------------------

&
Report: Next Generation Global Ford Ranger Not For US - PickupTrucks.com
Posted by Mike Levine | November 9, 2009

^ for another chance to see their LUSCIOUS F-100 rendering and their speculation that it might be back on

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem with the KA being dissed ...for now... Not that I'm accepting that Ford won't EVER bring it but it's quite a ways off and afaik dependent on Fiatsler being willing AND dependable in joint-building the 500 & KA in NA.

otoh, T6... ...well maybe Ford is waiting to see
- how it turns out
- what happens with the chicken tax
- when/what happens with Oil/ga$ prices
- IF, should the pickup-T6 Not promise enough volume, IF other T6-vehicles could supplement it
- maybe even if a unibody-Explorer-based trucklet is possible for the nearer-term
but
imho down the road, all US truck mfgs won't have a choice but to invest in Lighter-Light-truck vehicles

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think those types of small cars are Niche markets and not much for volume. I think the Fiesta will be an amazing selling machine. I like the Fiesta because I had the Zx5 and loved it a lot. I have my opinions on the Fiesta and the Focus, but won't preach them again on here.

The Ranger on the other hand, my partner has one and I think that it needs to be refreshed and stretched to be a full Quad Cab. The seats in the rear SUCK and should be outlawed. I think there needs to be more planning in the next small pickup or get into bed with Nissan and clone the Frontier with a Ford look.

2b2, your mission is to make the Frontier a Ford....lol

·
Registered
919 Posts
^ oh No... My one & only MISSION forever&ever is

&/edit
could you maybe now 'Preach' about the Fiesta/KA, YZx5??? ;)

ps/edit
a certain insider that ausrutherford is fond of referring to has 'confirmed' that Ford is looking into an F-100 & new SportTrac
I think the Fiesta is on my short list of Ford's Family of vehicles. I know they are going to show it off in January and are looking forward to it when it does finally come to the light. I am just hoping they do not change a whole lot to the looks of what the Movement Drivers are driving now.

I also have the Mercury Milan and Hybrid, but since we just heard today that my partner might be losing his job/ is losing his job and my student loans will be starting with the new vehicle, then Fiesta is probably my best option.

I will obviously let everyone know, and I can guarantee it will be a FORD.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
- maybe even if a unibody-Explorer-based trucklet is possible for the nearer-term
well this has been a productive day if you're one who believes "internet insiders"...

...apparently not greenlighted but back under consideration is
1) the F-100 light(er) truck based on the F-150
&
2) a unibody-Explorer-based D4 SportTrac that could include a hybrid version -- since this could come about before the Eucd+CD# unification
- perhaps it's a quick'n'easy low cost temporary model that could be replaced eventually with a T6
- OR maybe I'm right that the D4 Cuvs (Flex & MKT too) might continue on an un-rumored-so-far "D5"?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The F-100 would make alot of sense if it comes out lighter and cheaper than the base 150, and can be built on the same line.

Unless, they consider using the F-100 as the base for a 7/8 size replacement for the Expedition/Navigator, and build it alongside the big SUVs.

The time for Ka has not come yet. Fiesta will help change alot of people's minds about small cars, and will sell very well. I don't see how going smaller could be profitable yet. I think you are going to see big MPG gains in cars of every size...People love to have room for stuff. Just check out the size of the newer refrigerators and washers & dryers. Once you are used to having space, it is hard to give it up.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The F-100 would make alot of sense if it comes out lighter and cheaper than the base 150, and can be built on the same line.

Unless, they consider using the F-100 as the base for a 7/8 size replacement for the Expedition/Navigator...
DITTO, as REPLACEMENTS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
282 Posts
Building it on the same line has very little to do with yje total vehicle costs.

Unless, they consider using the F-100 as the base for a 7/8 size replacement for the Expedition/Navigator, and build it alongside the big SUVs.
Actually the Expedition/Navigator are more closely related to the F250. A smaller Expedition is called an Explorer and we all know where that is going - unibody.

IMHO, a F100 based on a 7/8 (or even 3/4) F150 would not save enough cost to waarant the exercise. That and a F100 based iff off a shortened and narrowed F150 would have the addition cost of unique sheet metal and a unique interior.

The time for Ka has not come yet.
I concur with that statement

1 - 12 of 12 Posts