1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Siu
Feb 14
AutoGuide

In December 2011, Ford ended production of its Ranger, arguably America’s lost truly compact pickup truck offering.

Over the last year and change however, the American automaker has been working on figuring out a viable compact truck for the market, essentially a new Ranger or F-100 that could be approved for production. But it’s not so simple as just taking its F-150 pickup and downsizing it and making it more affordable.

As each new generation of pickup trucks enters the market, they’re more powerful, capable of carrying more payload, and have a higher tow rating – essentially, the trucks continue to expand and get bigger. Ford however, believes that there’s certainly a market still for compact pickup owners that look for size, price, and fuel economy at the sacrifice of payload capacity and tow rating.

So what does Ford believes it has to do? Essentially consumers are looking for a 1,000 pound payload capacity and a 3,000 tow rating. Combine those attributes with lowered fuel consumption, and they may even look past the fact that it’s a car-based pickup, so long as its durable.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The only way I could see this happening, is by using the Transit Connect and building it in the same plant.

Though I would love to see one based on the Explorer, I imagine this would be hard to bring out at a low enough price.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ranchero!!

To bad the Aussie Falcon is going the way of the Dodo as the ute variant would be welcome in my garage!!

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Great news! Hmm... What platform should it be on? Should it be RWD or FWD?

I still wish they can shrink the F-150 platform to make a midsize F-100. But for the compact Ranger, unibody will do just fine.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
well...
(not meaning to be contradictory)
imho just the F-name
what it looks like is completely another matter
- Taurus-face (like the n.g.Edge)
- Explorer
- Flex or n.g.Flex
- Fusion
- scale-model SuperDuty
- some Transit-whatever
or

Mark Stehrenberger chop @ FordTruckClub.com
Yes! I loved that chop! That's exactly what I was hoping the Atlas Concept would like. Please go with this design, Ford!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ford has so much equity in the Ranger name that I would hate to see it dropped. Whatever they call the new truck (if approved) I would consider buying one. The F-150 is just too big (imho) along with hard to park, etc. I love it but, just not for my needs. Bring me a new Ranger and I'm good to go.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I wouldn't mind 'Ranger' being used as a trim/package name - or maybe for a/the EB models?
otoh
...I don't think it should be part of the F-Series at all. Calling it the Ranger should guarantee success.
saw some interesting posts elsewhere:
"...see the quote from Ford? 1000 lb payload, 3000 lb towing, super fuel economy. That's the ticket and it's not a new Ranger."
"...Give me a PHEV light truck that has an electric range of 25 miles, and I'd pay a nice premium for it, because I'd go down to one vehicle."​
also
some were saying it should go truly/(sub)Compact - like maybe the Courier/Bantam
which
makes me 'if' about the Ford vehicle that's most larger-in-than-out...
...the C-Max... or maybe more specifically the Grand C-Max

Maybe if they'd made the G.C-M as wide as a Taurus it would've worked as a micro-peoplemover in the U.S.??
so
maybe they could
- stick a C-Maxish cabin on the CD4/CD4+3
- use the CD4+3's extra wheelbase length to support a bed
- & even make a Cuvlet version on the regular CD4 wheelbase?
((which
again
is close to another of my new Mercury vehicles, #8 the barely 3-row "metaSport"
where I cross an Edge/MKX + Mondeo-wagon + S-Max
throwing in Terrain Mgmt. & adjustable ride height...
(as well as semi-hybrid-EcoBoosts!)
...think I'll add that tie-in to The Mission
))

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
what about with a half-frame like iirc they use(d) on the(some?) Falcon Utes?
Thats a Ranchero, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't think it would be wise to water down the F-series brand for the sake of marketing. To me it would be just as bad as Jeep offering those crappy FWD economy cars, Trail Rated be damned. When you have a brand that is held in high regard you don't abuse it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts