Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Watched the full video and here are a few things that stood out:

- Electrification means 'it has a battery', which means the 48-volt electrical systems, 60 volts hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and EV all fit.

- Hybrid Mustang was mentioned that it could have an electric motor tied to the rear axle

- The 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation 'could' make it to the US, and cylinder deactivation can work with constant speeds up to 70 or higher on a flat surface.

- 10-speed transmission is the max number of gears before benefits drop substantially for combustion engines

- Electrified vehicles would benefit from having a 2 or 3-speed transmission in the future.

I was waiting for them ask about combining the 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation with electrification, but it didn't happen. But it seems that electrification at lower speeds, and cylinder deactivation, just 2 cylinders at higher speeds, would boost hybrid and plug-in hybrid efficiency.

No questions about Ranger or Bronco????

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
- The 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation 'could' make it to the US, and cylinder deactivation can work with constant speeds up to 70 or higher on a flat surface...

...I was waiting for them ask about combining the 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation with electrification, but it didn't happen. But it seems that electrification at lower speeds, and cylinder deactivation, just 2 cylinders at higher speeds, would boost hybrid and plug-in hybrid efficiency...
ever since hearing about cyl-deact on the 3cyl,
I've wondered about using ^^^ on a 4cyl

thinking going from 4 to 2 by omitting EVERY-other combustion could be "smoother"?
also wondering
if the controls for cyl-deact are compatible with having part-time-Atkinson with(actually when NOT using:)TURBOS
?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's not a hard deactivation like GM's AFM, it's basically the computer going through the firing orde
r and cutting fuel to different cylinder s at different times.

Si yeah, it could be used on all engines up to the V8s. if needed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is not a promising story.

We don't make CVTs beause we are good at making step automatics? :confused:

For the Record 90% of Ford transmissions are JVs with other companies. The arrogance of that guy is astounding.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
This is not a promising story.

We don't make CVTs beause we are good at making step automatics? :confused:

For the Record 90% of Ford transmissions are JVs with other companies. The arrogance of that guy is astounding.

Wait, 90% is JV….based on what, volume or offerings? Huge difference there.

Ford engineers, tests and manufactures a lot of transmissions. He is right, they are just better at making step shift than CVT. How is that arrogance?
As far as JV goes, that is typical and just smart business, to share in the high $$ development costs of transmissions.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
For the Record 90% of Ford transmissions are JVs with other companies.
A transmission either works as expected at which point nobody particularly cares about it, or it doesn't, at which point it's an issue. Nobody buys a mainstream car because of its transmission, thus doing a joint venture to develop them makes sense and has literally no drawbacks.

Some things matter, some don't, but that never stops people from making ridiculous complaints about it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wait, 90% is JV….based on what, volume or offerings? Huge difference there.

Ford engineers, tests and manufactures a lot of transmissions. He is right, they are just better at making step shift than CVT. How is that arrogance?
As far as JV goes, that is typical and just smart business, to share in the high $$ development costs of transmissions.
The Arrogance in my mind is to A)state we are good (which BTW Ford has never been known for making amazing transmissions) B) because we are soo good, we have no need to try something new c) The powershift is a step transmission.

A transmission either works as expected at which point nobody particularly cares about it, or it doesn't, at which point it's an issue. Nobody buys a mainstream car because of its transmission, thus doing a joint venture to develop them makes sense and has literally no drawbacks.

Some things matter, some don't, but that never stops people from making ridiculous complaints about it.
The JVs make 100% sense, my comparison is when is the Focus EV, which Wasn't developed by Ford but is used as a measure of Ford's engineering prowess.

Reading between the lines:

No CVT because they don't have the means of the desire to invest in a transmission that will not be used in more profitable larger vehicle.
The next gen Powershift will be the 7DCT300 and available in mild hybrid as well as non-hybrid versions.
Ford is more focused on cost than competitiveness especially in Cars.

IMHO

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
The Arrogance in my mind is to A)state we are good (which BTW Ford has never been known for making amazing transmissions) B) because we are soo good, we have no need to try something new c) The powershift is a step transmission.

IMHO
He merely stated that Ford is "good" at step, relative to CVT.
That has nothing to do with arrogance.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
CVTs have a significant impact on fuel efficiency but it's not a transmission that fits as many applications as Ford needs. Ford is primarily a Truck company as the interview fully demonstrated. They really approach everything from that angle and that represents their core competency and transmission design definitely is not one of them unless it's truck related.

·
Registered
157 Posts
CVTs have a significant impact on fuel efficiency but it's not a transmission that fits as many applications as Ford needs. Ford is primarily a Truck company as the interview fully demonstrated. They really approach everything from that angle and that represents their core competency and transmission design definitely is not one of them unless it's truck related.

Is ford really a truck company? When the majority of its volume is still Transverse FWD vehicles, with < 220ft/lbs of torque?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Is ford really a truck company? When the majority of its volume is still Transverse FWD vehicles, with < 220ft/lbs of torque?
About 60% of Ford's US sales are F-Series and Transit and it makes up the most significant balance of their revenue and profits. That excludes the Expedition (or Mustang which shares drivetrain tech) and soon the Bronco and Ranger. And with Ford car sales evaporating and Crossover sales plateauing, they should be able to move over to 70% within the next 4-5 years.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Have I requested the 2.0 Twin Turbo Inline 6 lately? No? Ford, please attach two 1.0EB engines inline and put them in a new, small RWD sports car!

Thank you,

SP1966

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Have I requested the 2.0 Twin Turbo Inline 6 lately? No? Ford, please attach two 1.0EB engines inline and put them in a new, small RWD sports car!

Thank you,

SP1966
I like this idea.
An I6 that is downsized and boosted and high tech.
What's not to love. Smaller bore means total length should not be too bad.

·
Registered
511 Posts
yeahBUT
I've read that e-CVTs are fundamentally different from ordinary CVTs...

...dunno if that's true
nor what the diffs are...
The eCVT uses a plantetary drive to transfer power form the engine to the wheels
and is counterbalanced by an electric motor controlling the speed and direction
of the planetary gears and the output gear ratio to create the VCT effect.

If you could get the power usage of that small electric motor under control,
it may be a way of eliminating the need for 6, 8, 9 and t10-speed autos.

https://priuschat.com/threads/toyota-ecvt-vs-ford-hf35-transmission.127864/

1 - 20 of 67 Posts