Ford Inside News banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford throws no punches with the 2013 Fusion.
www.FordInsideNews.com
January 12, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

During the rather elaborate Ford press conference this week at the North American International Auto Show the company made its intentions clear. The press conference introduced the all-new 2013 Fusion sedan, Ford's new entry into the cut-throat midsize sedan segment. While the car made it clear that Ford intends to be a leader in the segment by its own merits, Ford added a little bit of background information about the Japanese competition that made Ford's lofty confidence shine, and the competitions shortfalls gleam.

A fair amount of the introduction was spent with Ford playing a presentation about the "battleground" that is the U.S. midsize sedan segment. While some of this presentation was spent informing the audience on statistics of the segment, the lion's share of it was spent dissing the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. Ford appears to have pulled data between 2007 and 2011 for the information, based on the fact that the U.S. economic recession began in mid-2007. Their point? The Camry and Accord never did recover when the bottom fell out of the automotive marketing in the U.S.

In particular, the video mentions that both Camry and Accord sales have declined over 30-percent each between 2007 and 2011. It's worth noting that Camry and Accord both saw further sales declines last year at 7-percent and 14-percent, respectively. Ford also claims in the video that Camry and Accord have seen dramatic increases in incentive spending in recent years.

Interestingly enough Ford has slightly edited the presentation for YouTube. During the press conference it got as gutsy as to mention the Japanese earthquake, confirming that both Camry and Accord market-share were declining before the tragedy.

The presentation was gutsy, no question. Add in the somewhat happy-toned voice and the situation was almost awkward for those in attendance, both a testament to the decline of the Japanese super sedans and Ford's mile-high confidence in their latest midsize sedan. It's probably safe to say that the downward trend for the Camry and Accord will continue thanks to the new Fusion.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...The presentation was gutsy, no question. Add in the somewhat happy-toned voice and the situation was almost awkward for those in attendance, both a testament to the decline of the Japanese super sedans ... It's probably safe to say that the downward trend for the Camry and Accord will continue...
hmm
that must have resembled some forums I belong to
where THE DEATH OF TOYLETTA is frequently met
with

tho of course many of us know that the Crummery Never Was a super sedan (tho decontenting has made it even worse)
that was just consumer brain-washing coupled with Detroit not even trying

for the sake of completeness,
I've never hated Honduh
just look down on any variety of 'sheeple'
and feel sorry for HondAcura's blind designers and design-approvers

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am very impressed so far with the new Fusion...one big thing I worry about though is resale. That's why I went Accord last go around because I wanted it to be worth something in 5-6 years. Can't wait to see this car in person though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts