1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford 'supersegment' gives new look at auto sales - The Detroit News
March 22, 2013
By Karl Henkel

Dearborn — Ford Motor Co. is looking at auto industry sales in a new way, lumping a handful of the most popular segments into one "supersegment."

The supersegment is the combination of four segments — subcompact, compact, midsize and compact SUV — developed internally by Ford to show dealers the biggest growth segments in the industry. Sales within those segments make up slightly more than half of all new-vehicle sales.

"We see this trend playing out over the next 10 years," said Erich Merkle, Ford's U.S. sales analyst...

...Ford — with its Fiesta subcompact, Focus and C-Max compacts, Fusion midsize and Escape compact SUV — had about 818,000 sales in the supersegment...

...The Dearborn automaker thinks it can conquest buyers and build a larger customer base through the supersegment.

Michelle Krebs, senior analyst at Edmunds.com, said the segment is "totally invented by" Ford, but "a different way to slice and dice the numbers. It is a way that looks at where we're going."...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At first I thought this was just a slow-news-pre-autoshow article
but
it does sound like this "SuperSegment" is something FoMoCo is thinking about & talking about & and likely using for future product planning
&
so I wonder if we might see more &or niche-models (finally) show up within these parameters
&
I'm struck by how the SuperSegment's target is the Bull'sEye of Mission2020's Mercury lineup

·
Registered
231 Posts
This would tend to support the rumor about the demise of the Taurus. CAFE will probably drive a nail or two into Taurus' coffin, as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ford Sees Sales Growth in Critical ‘Super Segment’ Vehicles
  • Small cars, small utility vehicles and midsize sedans represent Ford’s plan for growth in the United States
  • Two-thirds of all customers first shop Ford Escape and Fusion when they begin looking at vehicles
  • Since 2009, 38 percent of Ford’s growth has come from vehicles in the “super segment,” which includes Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and Escape
  • Super segment is half of new vehicle sales nationwide, compared to 35 percent in 2004
Excerpts from Ford's press release:

...Ford’s plan for growth in the United States is centered around four key vehicle segments: subcompact, compact cars, small utility vehicles and midsize sedans – together, what Ford calls the super segment.

These four vehicle segments, taken as a whole, represent just over 50 percent of total new vehicle sales in the U.S. As recently as 2004, super segment sales were only 35 percent of the market. Ford expects more growth in the super segment, as baby boomers continue to downsize their vehicle purchases and first-time millennial buyers enter the market. Combined, baby boomers and millennials account for more than 160 million people in the U.S.

Two of the four groups in the super segment are of particular interest – small utilities and sedans. Two-thirds of all buyers shop the Escape and Fusion when they first come into a Ford dealership.

“The super segment is where Ford plans to grow in North America,” said Amy Marentic, group marketing manager, Global Small and Medium Cars. “Escape and Fusion have gotten off to very strong starts since being all-new last year, and we expect continued strong interest in both.

“We’re encouraged that we have very new products across the lineup,” she added, “two of which – Focus and Fiesta – are best-selling vehicles worldwide.”

...Combined sales of Escape and Fusion totaled 51,985 vehicles in February 2013, edging out combined sales for Toyota Camry and RAV4 (44,599 sales) and Honda Accord and CR-V (48,667 sales). Escape has been the best-selling small utility in the U.S. for the past two months.

By heavily reinvesting in the car portfolio since the middle of the last decade, Ford has been able to build market share. From January through September of last year, Focus was the best-selling vehicle in the world (end-of-year data from all regions have not yet been reported), while Fiesta was No. 5 in global sales and the best-selling subcompact car in the world.

The combination of the newest lineup of super segment vehicles and increasingly competitive, fuel-efficient passenger cars is working: Ford’s brand share of the super segment is running at a record 12.7 percent through the first two months of the year, more than double its share in 2005. From 2005 to 2012, Ford brand sales in the super segment were up 123 percent.

Retail sales of Ford’s super segment vehicles nationwide are up 33 percent in the first two months of 2013, with strongest growth coming from the West, up 56 percent, and the Southeast, which reported a 38 percent increase.

Conquest sales are another indicator of success. Defined as the percentage of owners leaving another brand for Ford, conquest rates range from 54 percent on Focus, 52 percent on Escape and 51 percent on Fusion, all the way up to 63 percent on Fiesta and 67 percent for Fusion Hybrid. More than half of Ford sales in these four segments are conquest sales.

Ford also is outpacing overall industry growth in hybrids, which is included in the super segment. Last month, Ford’s hybrid and EV sales captured 17 percent of the segment, up from 5 percent in February 2012.

...Ford’s small cars are helping the company grow as well. Year-to-date Fiesta retail sales are up 24 percent from a year ago while Focus is up 3 percent. Year-to-date retail sales of Fiesta, Focus and C-MAX in California, the biggest small car state in the country, are up 43 percent this year, in addition to a stellar 54 percent sales increase last year.

Looks like Ford's on to something!

Link to the press release:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=37856

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would the f-series not be included in this segment.
afaik the SuperSegment is only for "cars"
ie not "cars" in an EPA sense (no Suvs, mostly no Cuvs)
but defintiely no REAL trucks

...altho...
now that you bring it up, George,
I DO wonder if a unibody, car-based itty-bitty pickup-ish-thingie might be included??

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
would the f-series not be included in this segment.
The F-series constitutes a super segment on its own.

I agree with falcon lover though...The Taurus falls outside that super segment and will lack the money it needs for good updates and advertising, making it that much harder to keep in Ford's good graces.

So much for my hope for a new T-bird as well.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The F-series constitutes a super segment on its own.

I agree with falcon lover though...The Taurus falls outside that super segment and will lack the money it needs for good updates and advertising, making it that much harder to keep in Ford's good graces.

So much for my hope for a new T-bird as well.
Talking about Thunderbird, why not a mini-supersegment of RWD cars for Ford and Lincoln based on the new Mustang platform? : Mustang, Thunderbird, medium size or big sport sedan for Ford, coupe and big sedan for Lincoln. Enough volume? I think Ford could have a big sales with all those variants...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Talking about Thunderbird, why not a mini-supersegment of RWD cars for Ford and Lincoln based on the new Mustang platform? : Mustang, Thunderbird, medium size or big sport sedan for Ford, coupe and big sedan for Lincoln. Enough volume? I think Ford could have a big sales with all those variants...
Sounds like a great idea but will it ever happen? I'm sure the Mustang rolls out first with the new platform before anything else. Could be a modern Fox-platform all over again giving us many vehicles that we want to buy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This would tend to support the rumor about the demise of the Taurus. CAFE will probably drive a nail or two into Taurus' coffin, as well.
I don't think it has anything to do with cancelling the Taurus. Allan Mullaly stated that the Taurus was seen as an aspirational vehicle, more of a personal car. It's there for those who bought Focuses and Fusions before and now have attained some career success and want to move up but, want to stay with Ford. I'm paraphrasing but, that was the overall intent of his statement. So, I believe it's here to stay. Plus, they'd be losing money in the full-size segment where Avalon, 300, Charger, Azera, LaCrosse, Impala, and Maxima live. Ford ain't lettin' that happen! :p

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Allan Mullaly stated that the Taurus was seen as an aspirational vehicle, more of a personal car. It's there for those who bought Focuses and Fusions before and now have attained some career success and want to move up but, want to stay with Ford.
It probably depends on which direction they take Lincoln. Will an aspirational Taurus take too many sales from Lincoln?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts