·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford's Turnaround Continues to Impress
The Motley Fool

By John Rosevear
September 18, 2010

In just a few years, Detroit icon Ford (NYSE: F) has gone from being a broken has-been on bankruptcy's doorstep to one of the world's most focused and admired companies. Many elements have contributed to Ford's turnaround, but one of the most important is also one of the simplest: recasting Ford's far-flung holdings as one single company.

In a recent presentation, a senior Ford executive gave some details on the state of the company's "One Ford" turnaround efforts. Several points were of interest to investors.

A look at a work in progress
Jim Farley, Ford's chief marketing officer -- or, officially, "group vice president of global marketing sales and service" -- reviewed the key components of Ford's plan in a presentation to analysts this week. Some highlights:

Profitability on lower volumes. Ford has reduced structural costs by more than $10 billion and will have reduced its production capacity by 40% by the end of next year. Ford now has fewer factories, but each is producing more vehicles -- a development that has allowed it to be profitable at near-record-low sales levels.

That sea change is likely to make for impressive margins as sales rates continue to recover. And that hasn't escaped Wall Street's notice. A Barclays analyst upgraded Ford on Thursday, citing "the fundamental increase in Ford's earnings power even in a slower growth environment."

Migration to global platforms. In industry-speak, a platform is a set of common dimensions that apply to vehicles and manufacturing. Cars built on the same platform may be quite different from one another, but they typically share parts under the skin, cost less to develop, and can be built on the same assembly line. One of Ford's goals has been to reduce the number of platforms in use globally, to save on engineering and development costs -- and to make the best use of each engineering group's strengths, allowing Ford to sell its best products throughout the world.

Full text at the link

The last paragraph of the article is pure poetry. I can't not reproduce it as per FIN's policy to reproduce only up to half of the article to respect the original publisher's copyrights

·
Registered
607 Posts
We need a midsized coupe on the showroom floor! I'd love to see a two door Fusion called Maverick or one based on the Taurus called Thunderbird.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need a midsized coupe on the showroom floor! I'd love to see a two door Fusion called Maverick or one based on the Taurus called Thunderbird.
I keep on hearing rumors about a Thunderbird . . . but then nothing happens.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Last thing I heard was 2012 was the year of the Thunderbird... idk if anyone has heard anything else?

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Last thing I heard was 2012 was the year of the Thunderbird... idk if anyone has heard anything else?
As far as i know that got killed off when the first GRWD platform got shelved...though, another Tbird is said to be on, but wescoent has not given a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts