Ford Inside News banner

Would You Like To See a Mustang Sub Brand?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Not sure what news big news you are referring to.

Some rather big news from Ford Europe regarding the Valencia Spain assembly plant

The Plenary of the Consell has authorized the signing of an agreement between the Ministry of Sustainable Economy and Ford Spain, which aims to carry out four innovation and development projects. The agreement, for the year 2018, has an amount of 6 million euros.

The amount of the aid is distributed according to the following investments per project: development and validation of a new vehicle prototype line V408 MCA, with 2.4 million euros; development and validation of a new line of I4 engine prototypes (GTDI), with 600,000 euros; development and validation of prototypes of a new vehicle CX482, with 400,000 euros, and developments on CD platform, with 2.6 million.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I meant about discontinuing sedans.

What do you want to see as replacements that are just as good if not better than their old cars?
What I want to see is a Whitespace vehicle than can match the price and fuel efficiency of the conventional car it will replace.

For example: A vehicle that starts under $20,000 that can deliver 40MPG (like a Focus with a 1.0 EcoBoost).

Crossovers/SUVs cost more, weigh more, are less aerodynamic and consume more fuel. Electrification is a costly solution.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Strangely enough, I think luxury vehicles will show the way, first. Taking risks on high-margin vehicles is an easier sell in the boardroom. The new Rolls is a huge, tall sedan, for example. If people are accustomed to bulk in their SUVs, a taller sedan won't throw them off. More leg and headroom than current sedans but better aerodynamics than the bricks. I expect the next-gen S-class Benz to be taller and more massive, followed by BMW's 7 and Audi's 8. Also, taller sedans will provide more space for a serious injection of battery tech for the eventual plug-in hybrid and BEV transition.

So Ford, take a chance and let Lincoln lead a tall 3-box sedan revolution.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Where did you get these from ? I mean the concepts, haven't seen them before
The silhouette images posted by Nihar Mazumdar?
The ones under "Compact Utilites": BMW 3-series Gran Turismo, BMW 6-Series Gran Turismo, Audi A5 Sportback, Audi A7 Sportback
The one under "SUV Coupes": Mercedes GLE Coupe, Mercedes GLC Coupe

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm content with what Ford is planning. Decades of meager profits or significant losses from sedans show Ford's plan makes sense. Ford doesn't owe it to me to make a $20,000 economy sedan that it would lose money making. Luxury hatchbacks that are slightly raised are a preposterous idea.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Ford realizes that they're receiving backlash from both directions, loss of sedan buyers and people who think it's a dumb short sighted decision on one side, and the investors on the other, so the logical thing to do would be to meet somewhere in the middle. The question is what that middle is.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The situation is different for people in different parts of the world and
outside of the US, Focus and Mondeo are continuing in ROW and China
so the idea that Ford is jilling cars everywhere is just not so.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A RWD sedan between the Taurus and Fusion. That would possibly help Ford regain its hold on police vehicles it once held. Lincoln would have its top of the line RWD. I would also like to see a midsize coupe (Thunderbird). Lincoln also get their Mark series again.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
A RWD sedan between the Taurus and Fusion. That would possibly help Ford regain its hold on police vehicles it once held. Lincoln would have its top of the line RWD. I would also like to see a midsize coupe (Thunderbird). Lincoln also get their Mark series again.
I do believe Ford still has the police vehicle upper hand, quite significantly.
All that has happened is that everyone wants a piece of that market, and competition is fierce. I can't imagine sales would bump much if at all, if RWD became part of the equation.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ford currently has over 60% of the LEV market, civilians aren't the only ones going away from cars.
I can only imagine the impact of next year's RWD Explorer PIU and it's hybrid version....

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's something I've been thinking about that would be interesting.

Should Mustang become a Sub-Brand for Ford? Why or Why Not? If Yes, what would you like to see in a Mustang Lineup?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.