Ford Inside News banner

Frankfurt 2011: Hyundai i30 (Elantra Touring)

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MKII 
#1 ·
2011 Frankfurt Auto Show: Hyundai i30 Revealed
By Mike Magrath
September 6, 2011
Edmunds IL

Hyundai has released official photos of what could be the next Elantra Touring, the i30. And you know what? It looks exactly like it did in the teaser sketch they released in August.

What we didn't see in those sketches was the interior and rear of the car. The official photos fix that problem. And it looks, especially the interior, exactly how you'd expect a new Hyundai to look, although an electronic parking brake in this class is surprising.

Full text at link

See less See more
#3 ·
I really hate that side wedgeline+front wheel arch

I hated it when Mazda did it - I hated MB's copycat version - I hate it now
it just looks like the front & rear are from 2 different cars imho

that downward curve on the rear-side bothers me too
AND worries me about the nextgen Fusion since there's a similar edge showing thru the camo - hope it's misdirection

interior is o.k. - tho I don't like framing the airvents as tho they were "Art" :yikes:

This is my size and general-kind of car but it does nothing for me

#4 ·
I really hate that side wedgeline+front wheel arch

I hated it when Mazda did it - I hated MB's copycat version - I hate it now
it just looks like the front & rear are from 2 different cars imho

that downward curve on the rear-side bothers me too
AND worries me about the nextgen Fusion since there's a similar edge showing thru the camo - hope it's misdirection

interior is o.k. - tho I don't like trim "framing" the airvents as tho they were "Art" :yikes:

This is my size and general-kind of car but it does nothing for me

#5 ·
I like it. I think Hyundai is set to have another hit on its hands in the compact segment. I wonder if some of the upscale exterior lighting elements will make it on the US version. I'm sort of doubtful, but Hyundai may surprise me. The current gen Touring was price above the last gen Elantra sedan, so I expect this new version to be priced above the new gen Elantra sedan.

All that being said, I am a little disappointed that this new version won't have vertical tailights like the current gen Touring and recently introduced Accent 5-door. I always like the vertical taillights and was really hoping that they would continue on the new version. :(

#6 ·
interior is o.k. - tho I don't like trim "framing" the airvents as tho they were "Art" :yikes:
I do find it strange that Hyundai was able to get the center vents in the upcoming next gen i30 in the correct location, but couldn't do the same for the Elantra sedan. On the Elantra sedan, there are big silver "wings" where the center vents should have been. I not interested in cooling off my knees in hot and humid summer weather.

#8 ·
This is not a version of the Elantra Touring known as the i30cw in Euroland or wagon (as called in Estonia) .

This is just a hatch Elantra known in Euroland as the i30.

I like the shot J.Mays made at Hyundai in his comments during the press launch speeches
Quote - "While some manufacturers have imitated kinetic design,
dare I say, even added more complexity to it…We are going in the other direction by simplifying
our design language. Showing the same amount of dynamic surface language but in a more
sophisticated, reduced form."

I love how J.Mays rolls, he talks a no bull **** game.

My 14 year old daughter is always asking why Hyundai's look like Fords.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.