21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Kia to unveil stunning fastback concept at 2017 Frankfurt autoshow
MotorAuthority
- Viknesh Vijayenthiran - Aug 30, 2017

...Set to debut next month at the 2017 Frankfurt auto show, we’re sad to report the concept doesn’t preview a new model line. Rather, it signals a new body style for one of the Korean brand’s existing models, specifically the next-generation Cee’d compact car.

In a statement, Kia said the concept hints at design elements bound for the new Cee’d which goes on sale in Europe in 2018. The new Cee’d will be closely related to Hyundai’s Elantra/i30 and should include familiar hatchback and wagon body styles, and potentially a five-door fastback...

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
2018 Porsche Cayenne Debuts As Company Says Its More 911-Like Than Ever

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/2018-porsche-cayenne-debuts-as-company.html
By Michael Gauthier
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Porsche has officially unveiled the 2018 Cayenne ahead of its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Looking instantly recognizable, the redesigned crossover has an evolutionary front fascia with larger air intakes and new LED headlights. The familiar styling continues further back but Porsche says the Cayenne has a lower roofline which helps to give it a more athletic stance. Other notable changes include larger alloy wheels and new taillights that echo those of the Panamera Sport Turismo.

Bigger changes occur in the cabin as drivers will find a new center console which has a mix of analogue and digital controls. A more noticeable feature is the 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system which has internet connectivity.

Read more.....

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
The Cayenne is very nice, but is almost indisguishable from the old version. Note the screen for infotaintment... the same as in the Bentley Continental and Porsche Panamera. Very nice

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
AMG Proyect One hypercar concept in Frankfurt

Mercedes-Benz and AMG confirmed that a concept version of the new AMG hypercar, the proyect One, will be in Frankfurt. The Proyect One will show the progress in hybrid tech. This car will be a halo car for the Mercedes-Benz brand, like the GT for Ford, or the NSX for Honda/Acura.

here the link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/its-official-mercedes-amg-project-one.html

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Lincoln, this is how to properly design a rear hatch and full-width lamp. Please copy or move on. That is all.
Are you trolling or are you being serious?

There is absolutely nothing that stands out or is remarkable about the overall design of this new Porsche, and that goes for the rear hatch and lamps. I give them points for the thin strips inside the housing but this is nothing to hold against Lincoln as if it's some sort of new benchmark set.

I know everyone has opinions but come on man... The exterior doesn't even look like it has any sort of design theme.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I've always thought the MKX's center strip should've been thinner like the concept was.

If that was Borg's point, then I'd agree. Otherwise, I also agree that it's nothing spectacular that is the be-all end-all for full width taillights.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I thought he meant the KIA coupe-hatch
That'd be even worse - trying to say a rendering of a concept is the way to do it.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Re: AMG Proyect One hypercar concept in Frankfurt

Underpinings/mechanicals look interesting.

Power of the Project One will be provided by a 1.6-liter turbo V6 with hybrid assistance, derived from Mercedes-AMG’s 2015 W06 Hybrid Formula One car. Naturally, the system will be*thoroughly revised for use on the road, and Mercedes promises it will last 31,000 miles (50,000 kilometers) between rebuilds, despite its predicted rev limit of above 10,000 rpm. Supported by two electric motors directly and two more located on the front axle, the hybrid system has an output of “over 1000 horsepower.”
- https://www.motor1.com/news/178767/mercedes-amg-project-one-teaser/

·
Registered
866 Posts

I wonder how we define "Halo Car" going forward. I thought a halo car was supposed to attract buyers into dealer showrooms but I could be wrong. In any case, can we put the Ford GT, the Acura NSX and this upcoming AMG Proyect One into the same category?

The Ford GT was a homologation special that was designed to commemorate earlier LeMans victories. IIRC, The FIA allowed it to race, under a special arrangement, before it was produced for sale. It will never appear for sale on a Ford dealers floor, all copies having been ordered before production.

The NSX appears to be intended to be a true showroom attraction.

This AMG may be a limited-edition technology demonstrator that may never be seen at MB dealers.

I don't know. All I know is that Lincoln needs a "Halo Car" of some sort however it is defined.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts

I wonder how we define "Halo Car" going forward. I thought a halo car was supposed to attract buyers into dealer showrooms but I could be wrong. In any case, can we put the Ford GT, the Acura NSX and this upcoming AMG Proyect One into the same category?

The Ford GT was a homologation special that was designed to commemorate earlier LeMans victories. IIRC, The FIA allowed it to race, under a special arrangement, before it was produced for sale. It will never appear for sale on a Ford dealers floor, all copies having been ordered before production.

The NSX appears to be intended to be a true showroom attraction.

This AMG may be a limited-edition technology demonstrator that may never be seen at MB dealers.

I don't know. All I know is that Lincoln needs a "Halo Car" of some sort however it is defined.

Lincoln need a halo car ASAP. A very special type of halo car. Something different, not offered by others luxury brands. What? I don't know. But I think must be something that attract young people. This could be a very disruptive style, some new communication or connective technology, an interesting powerplant ( electric, hybrid ?) , an innovative body style (a high ride sedan or Coupe?) , I don't know exactly what kind of novelty needs Lincoln to offer, but clearly they need to do something to make noise in the luxury market and make the brand desired again.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

Lincoln need a halo car ASAP. A very special type of halo car. Something different, not offered by others luxury brands. What? I don't know. But I think must be something that attract young people. This could be a very disruptive style, some new communication or connective technology, an interesting powerplant ( electric, hybrid ?) , an innovative body style (a high ride sedan or Coupe?) , I don't know exactly what kind of novelty needs Lincoln to offer, but clearly they need to do something to make noise in the luxury market and make the brand desired again.
I think Lincoln has an 'opportunity' for a major leap in the luxury market with:

- refreshed MKX and MKC both offering a 30mile PHEV like Ford is offering on the Mondeo in China. And for Lincoln, they should come with an induction charging option so luxury owners don't have to plug in at home.

- but the big one would be next gen MKZ as a true C-Class/3-Series competitor, offering a 5-door grand coupe, coupe, and cabriolet, with PHEV option for each body style and a 300+ mile grand coupe luxury performance EV. This will get younger buyers into Lincoln dealerships.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

So I guess this could be a spiritual successor to the CLK GTR?

·
Registered
160 Posts

As an unashamed 13th/Gen X'er, I would love to see a full size, 4 wheel drive, next generation cd6 platformed, extended wheelbase, four-coach-door, (BMW type hard top) convertible, with a Lincoln exclusive 3.0 liter hybrid v6 or Lincoln exclusive v8, dispensing 600+ horsepower starting at a very American $70,000 and moving up to $105,000 depending on the options! >:):cool:0:)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Perhaps Lincoln can have a Halo car or special model once it becomes a much more profitable "Global" brand.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Perhaps Lincoln can have a Halo car or special model once it becomes a much more profitable "Global" brand.
How does Lincoln become a global brand? Which came first; the chicken or the egg?

The mindshare that attracts new, aspirational, luxury-market customers has to at least be hinted at by Lincoln before it can grow. Selling "developments" of a few existing Ford models will not push Lincoln forward.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts