Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fusion to Move to Updated Modeo Platform
Since taking the reigns at FoMoCo, Alan Mulally has made it clear that one of the keys to Ford's resurgence is to leverage its assets abroad. Specifically, he wants to utilize the automaker's platform development in Europe to maximize engineering and manufacturing efficiency, creating several global models. While we're still waiting for Ford to ditch the old Focus platform for the Euro model's underpinnings, the next major implementation of Mulally's plan will come in the form of the next Ford Fusion, which will use the current Mondeo platform.

The CD3 platform, which is derived from the Mazda6 and underpins the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln MKZ, Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX, will be abandoned in favor of the Mondeo's EUCD platform and will be the foundation for Ford's global mid-size/CD-segment vehicle. Ford of Europe has been tasked with reworking the platform for the U.S., which has been internally dubbed CD4. Expect the Mondeo-based Fusion to arrive in the U.S. in 2012 for the 2013 model year
LINK

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Fusion to Move to Aging Modeo Platform

bull .. I do not feel like re-typing everything I already typed out but here is a link:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f37/next-fusion-utilize-mondeo-platform-74255/

and here is a key quote:
as usual platform info gets confused.

The 2012 Fusion / Mondeo will be ONE MODEL based on a refreshed EUCD platform.

Whether or not you call it a new platform depends. The platform will be "refreshed" - so what needs updating will be changed, the rest will be refined or left alone. This is what Ford did to D3 to make it D4 (MKS/FLEX/2010 Taurus/MKT) or what they are doing to C1 for the new global MkIII Focus. The undermiings get touch up, everything visible is all new.

The true all new platforms will come in the gen after next.

remember ford's new strategy: new top hat ever 5 years, new platform every 2 top-hats.

Igor
but they will be identical cars on identical platform - which will be globally up to date. No more orphaned platform for US ..

·
Registered
182 Posts
id imagine that they would differ in overall legnth. Much like the JDM and Euro Mazda6 compared to the NA 6. Mechanically and even on the exterior they are the same car. Differing slightly in powertrains and things that are hard to catch at 1st glance.

But this car would most likely be one of the first not associated with Kinetic or Bold American. This will be the new global design language.

·
Registered
432 Posts
there will be NO DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE EU AND US FORD MIDSIZE.

The EU Mondeo is already longer than the Fusion. There will be no differences. The Fusion/Mondeo will be ONE SINGLE MODEL - just bearing 2 names.

Igor

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
there will be NO DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE EU AND US FORD MIDSIZE.

The EU Mondeo is already longer than the Fusion. There will be no differences. The Fusion/Mondeo will be ONE SINGLE MODEL - just bearing 2 names.

Igor
Sounds good to me, I just hope the Milan gets redesigned & put on this new platform too or what would suit me, me only probably, is that when this transition takes place the Milan name be replaced by the Sable name & become Mercury's mid-size sedan again. :D

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Sounds good to me, I just hope the Milan gets redesigned & put on this new platform too or what would suit me, me only probably, is that when this transition takes place the Milan name be replaced by the Sable name & become Mercury's mid-size sedan again. :D

uhhh sorry for the Mercury fans, but i suspect that the Milan is the next dead car at Mercury.... No Milan or Sable after 2012... and no more Mercury

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
uhhh sorry for the Mercury fans, but i suspect that the Milan is the next dead car at Mercury.... No Milan or Sable after 2012... and no more Mercury

Nah! I feel pretty confident that the Milan & Mercury as a brand will be sticking around for quite sometime. Sure you're right about the Sable being gone after the middle of this year, but everyone knows that & theirs always hope that the Sable name may return in the future.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I am sorry for your predicting abilities but Mercury isn't going anywhere but up. Milan will very likely go on but even you will be impressed with what Mercury has in store for the near future.

Keep your eyes open for Chicago and the New York, where SobeSVT will be attending during PDs.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I am sorry for your predicting abilities but Mercury isn't going anywhere but up. Milan will very likely go on but even you will be impressed with what Mercury has in store for the near future.

Keep your eyes open for Chicago and the New York, where SobeSVT will be attending during PDs.

I hope my predicting abilities be wrong..... But why the Focus based Concept car for Lincoln-Mercury is the Lincoln Concept C? why not a Mercury Bobcat or Comet??
Maybe ( i know that he knows) SobeSVT has information that can't or dont want to share with us....
Will be a compact car for Mercury and for Lincoln, too?
Will be a compact sedan for Lincoln and a coupe-convertible and a mini crossover for Mercury?
How much compact cars for Lincoln-Mercury will be: 1 or 2 sedan, 1 coupe-convertible, 1 or 2 minicrossover, 1 monospace...?????

Will be, really, a new cars for Mercury????

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Going forward, he (Derrick Kuzak Ford's global product chief) said, Mercury will continue to offer improved versions of its Mariner crossover, Milan mid-sized sedan and a new as yet unnamed compact. That car will go into production in 2010 and will share a common platform with the new Ford Focus that will also enter production that year. In addition, Mercury will offer hybrid versions of the Mariner and -- starting at the end of this year -- the Milan.

DEARBORN, Michigan Date posted: 12-04-2008 — The Mercury Sable, the longtime stablemate to the more high-profile Ford Taurus, will be discontinued in April, Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer confirmed on Thursday for Inside Line.

"We've been very clear about getting our product down to our market share," Schirmer said. "You can't keep cars that aren't selling well."

Schirmer said letters have been sent to dealers confirming the demise of the Sable.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Why must you tease????? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts