Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future Vehicles: 2015 Ford Mustang

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/05/future-vehicles-2015-ford-mustang.html

Is this the 2015 Ford Mustang? Close to it, at least that's what a Ford insider told us recently. Set to be released about two years from now on its 50th anniversary, the 2015 Mustang will be much closer to a "world car" than any Mustang before it.

What does that mean exactly? Well, obviously it means this Mustang will be exported to markets outside the U.S., but more importantly, it means that the next-generation Mustang will evolve into a performance car for varying tastes.

For one, it will be smaller in many ways. Most other markets prefer sports cars with a little less metal and a few more curves. That means a sleeker, less bulky Mustang that should weigh less and cheat the wind better. The Evos concept was a hint of that look, but we were assured that the current Mustang's long hood/short deck proportions will remain along with several signature Mustang design cues like rear-quarter windows and triple-lens taillamps.

Another big change will arrive out back. After years of making the most of the Mustang's straight axle rear end, the Mustang will finally move to an independent setup. This will go down much better with European customers who are used to the precise feel of fully independent rear suspension setups. It will still do just fine on the drag strip, though, along with improved manners at tracks with turns.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Future Vehicles: 2015 Ford Mustang

THANKS for posting this, scford58

imho (& that's all it is) these are the closest renderings yet ...with a few exceptions...
total guesswork:
- the grille is wrong, too much based on the current and the face is too busy.
- same with the greenhouse, too much based on the current.

Where I think they're closer is the overall shape except imho it will be even more extreme!
I'm now thinking, instead of a 1-box or 2-box-or 3-box; it's going to use a 4-BULGE arrangement:
- engine compartment (actually the whole front 40%)
- passenger compartment
- two rear wheel bulges (with the center of the trunk-rearend kind of hollow/recessed between them).
with a few sharp creases connecting the lower parts.

Glad they have large versions of the rendering ... chops are at least 'possible'

pre-edit
since I'm desperately holding on to the belief in co-platformed Lincolns;
think a slab-sided design with "more formal" rounded-SQUARE themes, could work out really well
(the Simon Brook Mad Max concept
chops from Mission:LINCOLN
front - rear)

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

I honestly think the 2015 model isn't going to look anything like this. It's way too early to tell anyway. Once we see the spy pics, the renderings will be much more accurate.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

I think too many current/past styling cues have been added to this rendering. I doubt the production vehicle will carry all of these over.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nice tweek 2b2. However, IMO, I would like to see a different grill, maybe honeycomb with an updated "galloping horse" in the center. I'm not a fan of the horse with the red/white/blue stripes - reminds me of an old Buick.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ TY scford58
see below

I think too many current/past styling cues have been added to this rendering. I doubt the production vehicle will carry all of these over.
imho
(along with being a few inches less in length and hopefully almost as much less in height)
the most-basic shape could be different - I hope more rounded ... WITH some very sharp creases/ridges, as I said above (but will show others if I get to a rear view);
which will make the heritage cues look VERY fresh on an ALL-new, JUST-recognizable, Mustang
imho2
there's a lot of the Giugiaro Mustang in the rendering (no surprise considering the new Z is largely the MKR concept)

tweak ver 2.0

edit
it's funny seeing some posts saying, "the car itself is not Mustang enough"
Link

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I wonder if they will still do round fog lights in the grille for the GT models? Maybe that will be just a retro thing... makes me wonder how they will seperate the base from the GT, perhaps lower body kit? hood scoop?

Guess we won't really know till we see it

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You're a rock star 2b2. Tweak 2.0 is great!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ glad it pleases you, scford58

changed rear roof & mirrors too...
...after re-studying the rear pic, don't think it's a good donor for chopping :·(

I wonder if they will still do round fog lights in the grille for the GT models? Maybe that will be just a retro thing... makes me wonder how they will seperate the base from the GT, perhaps lower body kit? hood scoop?

Guess we won't really know till we see it
maybe they could put a few LEDs in a round housing for the fogs? imho need to keep any LEDs more subtle than (g)audi(y) ;)
&
I really hope one version (dunno which) has a very plain-smooth hood treatment...
sure they'd want to show-off a hi powered version and the base might need a bit of (over)compensation
but I'd like to see one go for Classy & refined

along those lines, with all the available powerplants coming-or-here,
wonder if a new LX model is possible?

& I also wonder if they'll keep everything top-secret until the autoshow reveal?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

^ glad it pleases you, scford58

changed rear roof & mirrors too...
...after re-studying the rear pic, don't think it's a good donor for chopping :·(

maybe they could put a few LEDs in a round housing for the fogs? imho need to keep any LEDs more subtle than (g)audi(y) ;)
&
I really hope one version (dunno which) has a very plain-smooth hood treatment...
sure they'd want to show-off a hi powered version and the base might need a bit of (over)compensation
but I'd like to see one go for Classy & refined

along those lines, with all the available powerplants coming-or-here,
wonder if a new LX model is possible?

& I also wonder if they'll keep everything top-secret until the autoshow reveal?
LX used to be Ford's top of the line trim, with GL being the base

now its
S
SE
SEL
Titanium

so I am not sure how an LX would fit in there

·
Registered
25 Posts
Motortrend's prediction on the 2015 Mustang

"The 2015 Ford Mustang has enthusiasts bursting with anticipation about what’s in store for the model’s next generation. That anticipation is so great that some just can’t wait until 2014 to see Ford’s next pony car. If you’re among those anxious individuals, these renderings might be enough to tide you over, as they show what a next-gen Mustang could look like."

View attachment 3211 View attachment 3212

Wow I really hope the next Mustang looks this good. Definitely the best rendering yet!

http://wot.motortrend.com/should-the-next-gen-2015-ford-mustang-look-like-this-198443.html

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Motortrend's prediction on the 2015 Mustang

Is it just me, or is everyone seemingly dropping the current car's greenhouse onto a modified "new" Fusion for their rendering?

I know, that's the only real styling hint anyone's gotten so far...but it seems like a race to render the "rwd Fusion coupe" across the car mag world...!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I would like to see a more contemporary approach to the 2015 Mustang. This looks like Motor Trend simply took the 2013 Mustang and added a few updates to the body. Why isn’t there more Evos in the mix?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ scford58, I agree with you (as usual
)

Is it just me, or is everyone seemingly dropping the current car's greenhouse onto a modified "new" Fusion for their rendering?

I know, that's the only real styling hint anyone's gotten so far...but it seems like a race to render the "rwd Fusion coupe" across the car mag world...!
imho the "mags" don't have anything else to go on
+
maybe they're still perplexed since the Fusion turned out so much like the Evos.

I posted a front chop in the other thread but still haven't found a good donor for a rear view

speaking of the other thread...
SHOULD WE MERGE THEM???

·
Registered
607 Posts

The rear axle looks farther back than it likely will be. MT has been saying that the new Mustang will be on a heavily modified and lightened version of the current model. If that's the case, this rendering is probably pretty close to the real thing. It's probably more accurate than many of the others we've seen with much heavier influence from the EVOS' styling. MT's has the pony running backward!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 95 Posts