Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Is nice to see Cadillac starting a plan to regaing sales volume. The CUVs will give them the volume they need.
Lincoln is doing that rigth now...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here you go!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Watched it this morning; my thoughts/comments.

He pretty-much confirmed GM needs more engineering staff. - His comment about not focusing on existing models, and deciding to shift engineering focus on future products.

As if engineering wasn’t working on future products before? - This may mean quicker re-freshes, something we’ve been promised for years, but also means an increased number of the simple improvements/fixes on existing models will be ignored.

Looks like this was filmed about 3 weeks ago…….. “I saw gas prices of $2.45 the other day” – Around here, gas was $2.45 2nd week of December.

“Surprises” beyond the Volt………. (hinting at something else EV/Hybrid?)

Really starting to squirm now………… (talking about Cadillac, sales and its move to New York)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
GM to Spend $12 Billion to Fund New Cadillac Models by 2020 - Bloomberg
By David Welch
2015-01-12

General Motors Co. (GM), working to revive its slumping Cadillac luxury brand, plans to spend $12 billion to develop eight new models by 2020 and two more in the next decade, the brand’s chief said.

Cadillac will focus on the so-called crossover sport utility vehicle segment, Johan de Nysschen said today at the Detroit auto show. Cadillac currently has just one, the SRX, while rival BMW has five and Audi has three in its lineup. De Nysschen said GM will add three SUVs as part of the expansion...

...Cadillac will add two SUVs below the size of the SRX and one above it. GM, based in Detroit, is also planning a large flagship car for Cadillac...
...a large, prestige sedan that will sit above the CT6 sedan, which goes on sale this year. Since the CT6 is close in size to a BMW 7-series, the future sedan should serve as a style showpiece for the brand, said Uwe Ellinghaus, chief marketing officer for Cadillac.

Luxury Car
Once Cadillac re-establishes itself as a top premium brand in the U.S., GM would like its luxury line to make a push in Europe, Ellinghaus said. Cadillac is considering a luxury car that would be smaller than the brand’s compact ATS sedan and coupe. Smaller luxury cars are a must for European cities, where parking is tight and fuel is often heavily taxed, he said.

“We will not go to Europe until we are strong and we are not yet strong enough,” Ellinghaus said. He added that there is a “high probability of a car below the ATS.”...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Caddy's focus: Plug lineup holes - AutomotiveNews
Entry-level sedan and small crossover are de Nysschen's priorities

Mike Colias
January 19, 2015

DETROIT -- Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen has had about five months since taking over the brand to assess the gaps in his vehicle lineup. He has found a lot of them.

Two in particular, he says, are hurting Cadillac's sales (down 6 percent last year) relative to competitors: the lack of a small crossover, and an entry-level car priced below the ATS to fend off the Audi A3, Mercedes-Benz CLA and others.

He intends to fill those holes...
...the small crossover would come first, in early 2017...
...A sub-ATS car is to come later, probably in 2018.

Both vehicles are included in a $12 billion, multiyear capital-expansion plan for Cadillac that de Nysschen disclosed last week, spanning new vehicle platforms, powertrains and other technology...

...Explaining why Cadillac is pushing an electric vehicle down its priority list, he said: "There are so many priorities, and there are obvious gaps in our product range in conventional cars that we should fill first, because those cars can immediately be profitable and help to finance our longer-term aspirations."...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
via EJD1984 & majicbz07 @GMI

GM gambles on quick car redesigns in shifting market
Automotive News

Mike Colias
June 22, 2015

DETROIT -- General Motors wants to raise its game in the car space so badly that it's thrown the kitchen sink into the next-generation Chevrolet Malibu sedan, from automatic braking to a hybrid version that will return the segment's best fuel economy.

GM executives are confident that they'll reap more than $1,000 in extra per-vehicle profit from the 2016 Malibu when it goes on sale this fall, simply by offering head-turning features and options rather than fire-sale prices. They expect the same from the redesigned Cruze, scheduled for an unveiling here this week.

Changing the equation
For years, the midsize sedan segment has been the largest in the U.S. and the de facto place where mainstream brands showcase new powertrains, safety features and design direction. The intense competition forces a compressed product cadence, typically five years or fewer between redesigns. The arrival of credible Detroit 3 entries, including the current Ford Fusion and Chrysler 200, has raised the stakes.

By rule of thumb, the extra cost of building a crossover body vs. a car on the same platform is roughly $1,500 per vehicle, says John Krafcik, president of TrueCar and former CEO of Hyundai Motor America. The average transaction price of a small crossover in 2014 was nearly $5,000 more than that of its small-car platform mates, he says.

Battle for share
GM's aging car lineup has been particularly hard hit. Its retail car sales fell 19 percent through May. Pending redesigns of several key nameplates should help -- the next generations of the Malibu, Cruze, Volt, Camaro and Spark are due out in coming months. But it's a tough time to count on higher car margins, Krafcik says.

Even so, Krafcik adds another factor that could pinch car sales even beyond 2020: mobility services such as Uber. Should those eventually replace large numbers of personally owned vehicles, as some observers expect, Krafcik predicts that "three-box sedans" are the most likely to go, rather than crossovers, pickups and other, more versatile vehicles.

"The crossover is the winning architecture for the modern car buyer," he says. "The industry needs to retool to produce more of them."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
majicbz07:
"From the article, now we know approximately when to expect the next gen Equinox and Traverse

Cruze 1Q 2016
Malibu 4Q 2015
Equinox 1Q 2017*
Traverse 1Q 2017*
"

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
"The crossover is the winning architecture for the modern car buyer," he says. "The industry needs to retool to produce more of them."
I agree with this 100%! Having rented the much maligned Chevy Captiva while on vacation and finding it to be a very compelling vehicle given it's price I cannot see why anybody would go from a small sedan. I could see there coming a point in the future where small sedans are no more.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
meanwhile...

Chevy preps a Cruze hatchback for the U.S.
Automotive News

Mike Colias
June 22, 2015

DETROIT -- Chevrolet plans a hatchback version of the next-generation Cruze compact sedan for the U.S., targeting a niche segment that could be ripe for growth.

Chevy executives showed a hatchback Cruze to dealers last week at a national meeting in Las Vegas, according to three people who attended. The car was billed as a 2016 model, although its launch date is unclear...

...Chevy already sells a hatchback Cruze in overseas markets, including Australia and China. GM product chief Mark Reuss has called the omission of a Cruze hatchback for the U.S. "a pre-bankruptcy planning mistake."...

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is a little off topic but I didn't know anywhere to post it at. I took my Lacrosse in today to the local Buick-GMC-Cadillac dealer for an oil change and while I was waiting I decided to walk around the lot and I noticed that Cadillac or it may be just this particular dealer is offering a whopping $16,000 discount on the CTS. I couldn't believe it. Cadillac must be doing worse than I thought to offer a discount that big.

(( that^s fine here, Thomas :thumb: but I copied it to CTS Down 41% In 2015
:joyous: ))

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks 2b2! Much better in that thread anyway.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
UPDATE: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

Cadillac cooks up more alphabet soup
Automotive News

Mike Colias
July 20, 2015

Cadillac's next wave of product introductions and redesigns will gradually usher in the brand's new naming system, with sedans taking the prefix "CT," crossovers using "XT" and numbers designating their size and position in the hierarchy. The new entries aim to position Cadillac for more head-to-head competition against German luxury brands.
click for über large^
Small sedan (CT2?): Cadillac boss Johan de Nysschen has cited the lack of an entry-level sedan as a key reason for Cadillac's sales slump. But Cadillac's answer to the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz CLA will arrive much later than he'd like. Cadillac hopes to get an edge on those front-wheel-drive rivals by offering rear-wheel drive on the sedan, which isn't expected until the first half of 2018.
Subcompact crossover (XT1?): A small crossover -- think Buick Encore-size -- isn't expected to go into production until the first half of 2019, ceding a huge head start on a fast-growing market to the likes of the Audi Q3 and BMW X1. GM plans to make the petite crossover at its Orion Assembly plant near Detroit, industry sources say.
Compact crossover (XT3?): A compact crossover, slotted below the SRX, is due sometime in late 2017 or early 2018.

more...

- - - - - - - - - -

Buick UPDATE

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Re: UPDATE: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

ROOM FOR FOUR
Chevrolet clears space for a new crossover
Automotive News

Mike Colias
July 20, 2015

DETROIT -- General Motors plans to add a new Chevy crossover that will be slotted above the compact Equinox and below the full-size Traverse, according to three people familiar with the plan.

The move underscores how mainstream brands are following the lead of luxury marques by finding inventive ways to fit more flavors of crossovers into their showrooms...

The coming Chevy model, on the other hand, will be inserted in the middle of the lineup...

Step one will be to downsize the popular Equinox. It will shrink a bit when the next generation appears in early 2017, shifting to the same global compact platform that will underpin the redesigned Chevy Cruze and Opel Astra cars, due out early next year.

That creates more room for the new three-row crossover to slide in between the Equinox and the Traverse, which also is scheduled for a redesign, in mid-2017. The new vehicle will be a short-wheelbase version of the Traverse, the sources said...

...With the new entry, Chevy would have three crossovers that roughly line up sizewise against the potent Escape-Edge-Explorer trio from Ford.

The strategy extends beyond Chevrolet, though. The shorter wheelbase also will underpin the successor to the Cadillac SRX, called XT5, when it arrives by next spring. And it will serve as the bones for the next-gen GMC Acadia, which will shrink to a three-row midsize when it is launched in mid-2016, the sources said...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

also
Chevy / GMC article

Attachments

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Ford has an empty space there to fill: XS or subcompact crossover . The next EcoSport must will go to USA... That market niche is growing

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
via new member, "lwyes" on GMI :thumb:

&
paul8488 said:
Hmmm, can't read much, the first character above the CT3 and XT3 means 'small', the first character above the CT6 and XT5 / XT6 means 'middle', and the first character above the CT7 and Escalade means 'large'. Clearly the CT4 and XT4 are between small and middle (or medium) size, and the CT5 and CT4 coupe and convertible are 'tweener' sizes (like how the Cascada is Astra based but sized between Astra and Insignia).

I'll see if I can figure some more out, but there are no numbers or dates on the sheet. The very last two characters in the title mean future.
:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Caddy's product onslaught is going to crush Lincoln this decade both here and in China, especially with this many Crossovers. Chevy also has the potential to overtake Ford brand in the US this decade. It's going to be very interesting, but this is clearly GM's moment and Ford is waiting for 2018 to start their next phase as many of their core products age toward the end of their lifecycle. The next couple of years are going to be pretty dull around here, just a couple MCEs and discontinuations while Chevy is launching all-new products and entering more segments.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Caddy's product onslaught is going to crush Lincoln this decade both here and in China, especially with this many Crossovers. Chevy also has the potential to overtake Ford brand in the US this decade. It's going to be very interesting, but this is clearly GM's moment and Ford is waiting for 2018 to start their next phase as many of their core products age toward the end of their lifecycle. The next couple of years are going to be pretty dull around here, just a couple MCEs and discontinuations while Chevy is launching all-new products and entering more segments.
no surprise, yet again, but I completely disagree with everything you said.

Lincoln is inching up on Caddy every month, with minimal product.
And Lincoln is hardly "waiting" around for 2018.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Do-What!?

:banghead:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
no surprise, yet again, but I completely disagree with everything you said.

Lincoln is inching up on Caddy every month, with minimal product.
And Lincoln is hardly "waiting" around for 2018.
Caddy has 1-crossover right now, what happens when they have 4? Not to mention 5 sedans.

I don't expect Lincoln to challenge Caddy anytime soon, they don't have a limitless budget, technology, or even the customer potential of Caddy. This decade is about stabilization and building a company and brand to take it through to the next decade where they will hopefully be truly independent and capable of developing their own products. In the interim, Lincoln is going to look very transitional and rough around the edges for quite sometime. I still have my doubts about Lincoln which have grown even deeper with the tepid response to MKZ and MKC, right now I have a hard time imaging what it will take to make enough luxury car customers care about Lincoln to push it back from the brink, but I think they just need to stay alive long enough to figure that out and they shouldn't invest heavily until they do.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts