Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
...I don't expect Lincoln to challenge Caddy anytime soon, they don't have a limitless budget, technology, or even the customer potential of Caddy...
otoh
I have a sneaking suspicion that Art&Science has attained its max. market penetration
& their sales will go NOwhere (other than new** markets - which GM will FLUBB) until they invent their Next Big Thing

** China is Not new anymore imho

...This decade../..In the interim, Lincoln is going to look very transitional and rough around the edges for quite sometime...
imhO,
that's the LAST 10 years not the next

...with the tepid response to MKZ and MKC...
...to figure that out and they shouldn't invest heavily until they do.
imhO
the problem has BEEN lack of investment, ex:
Z + C = 1½ decent vehicles
I rate the C as a ½ not due to shortcomings but to being INappropriate for Lincoln (imhO)

with more (number of) serious models and more serious models (to be taken seriously),
Lincoln is halfway around that "corner"
...just pray they don't "let go of the wheel" ... again

·
Registered
436 Posts
^ 2b2 I completely agree with everything you just said.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
no surprise, yet again, but I completely disagree with everything you said.

Lincoln is inching up on Caddy every month, with minimal product.
And Lincoln is hardly "waiting" around for 2018.
as I see the CT4= ATS, CT5= CTS, CT6, XT5= SRX
so new products are 4: CT3, and the crossovers (XT6, XT4, XT3)

A lot considering Caddy has a lot of products now.
Lincoln plans only 2 models until 2020 :facepalm:
What is Lincoln waiting for? What will they show in 2018?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Cadillac's sedans will continue to languish on the dealer lots if they stay with their current brand mission. They had something great with the CTS not terribly long ago, and they managed to screw it up.

They need to take the Escalade's formula and apply it to the rest of the line-up. It's been crystal clear (for years!) that people want Cadillacs from Cadillac!

If they were ballsy with their styling (Ciel, Elmiraj), had fantastic marketing, and used their heritage as an advantage, their showrooms would be very busy. They certainly have the talent, but the wrong people have been running the show.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
as I see the CT4= ATS, CT5= CTS, CT6, XT5= SRX
so new products are 4: CT3, and the crossovers (XT6, XT4, XT3)

A lot considering Caddy has a lot of products now.
Lincoln plans only 2 models until 2020 :facepalm:
What is Lincoln waiting for? What will they show in 2018?
Since Lincoln is loosing MKT, it's really only gaining 1 new product in aggregate. Which is fine, I think they are making products that they can sell to their customer and staying focused.

Lincoln is once again transiting to a completely new design, this is what I mean by rough edges. All of this is necessary of course, renovation is very messy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Caddy has 1-crossover right now, what happens when they have 4? Not to mention 5 sedans.

I don't expect Lincoln to challenge Caddy anytime soon, they don't have a limitless budget, technology, or even the customer potential of Caddy. This decade is about stabilization and building a company and brand to take it through to the next decade where they will hopefully be truly independent and capable of developing their own products. In the interim, Lincoln is going to look very transitional and rough around the edges for quite sometime. I still have my doubts about Lincoln which have grown even deeper with the tepid response to MKZ and MKC, right now I have a hard time imaging what it will take to make enough luxury car customers care about Lincoln to push it back from the brink, but I think they just need to stay alive long enough to figure that out and they shouldn't invest heavily until they do.
GM took the CTS, which alone sold in excess of 50K, split it into two cars, that now sell less than 50K total.

What makes you think the new XT5 will continue to sell 50K a year, and every additional CUV GM adds to the line will dramatically grow sales volume?

Yes, yes, I know "ATP's are up" welcome to 2015; everybody's ATP's are up, along with content & features and COGS.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep, I have the misfortune of wanting a fully loaded MKZ Hybrid. You can't get them to budge hardly at all on 2016's, and 2015's are not common in the loaded variety.

If I wanted a CTS instead, I could get a smoking deal pretty much anywhere on 2015's or 2016's. Yes, they keep bugging me.

GM is aggressively chasing sales numbers to try to prove to someone what their ego play is working. We know it isn't. Are they great cars................ sure they are. Unfortunately, you can get the same thing, for the same price, from BMW or Mercedes. Yet, they can't get that through their thick skulls.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
tho it's also another JOHAN-post (he's really making the rounds!)...
...there's product stuff... actually LACK of Product

Cadillac seeks more 'autonomy' from GM, de Nysschen says
Automotive News

Mike Colias
August 11, 2015

...he also acknowledged that there will be a significant pause in fresh product following the launch of a successor to the SRX midsize crossover. The new offerings won't arrive until early 2018 or later...

- - - - - - - -

& speculations @ GMI

-- So, basically almost three years before Cadillac gets a new product outside the CT6 and XT5? All while Cadillac is no doubt spending tons of cash on product development (new engines, and so on)?

-- This might mean that they have delayed the launch of the new CT3, and CT5, until 2017 (production in 2018)...
...Beyond 2021 we can expect.......the return of a Sport Wagon, 1 more Coupe and a Conv. (thinking CT4), not sure what the CT4 line up will be at this time, the CT8, XT8 strong ( strong feeling to be the Escalade replacement), CT9 ($250,000+) and the XT9 ($200,000+) then the Cien...

-- ATS and CTS have landed with a resounding thud... what's going to happen between now and early 2018 to boost sales?

-- 3 CT6 variants? what are the other 2?

-- Escalade as an expanded sub brand
Escalade Sport
Escalade Coupe
Escalade Convertible

-- Gee, I wonder why they're not doing that now.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

- - - - - - -

GM's ‘Whisper Diesel’
Jul 24, 2015 | James M. Amend | WardsAuto

...“This (1.6L) is much quieter,” he says, comparing it to the first-generation Cruze turbodiesel. “It will set the standard for noise and vibration in the industry when it comes to the U.S. When you drive this vehicle, it is transparent.”

That’s high praise for the newcomer, because GM’s first-gen, 2.0L turbodiesel won a 2014 Ward’s 10 Best Engines award in the Cruze. WardsAuto editors observed some NVH at low speeds, but found it quieter than its German counterparts and doted over its torquey performance and fuel economy that reached 46.7 mpg (5.0 L/100 km) during one long-distance test...

...One big change was moving the timing chain from the front of the engine to the rear, where the transmission can act as natural sound abatement. The camshaft cover is made of glass-fiber reinforced plastic instead of aluminum and isolated from the cylinder to prevent it from broadcasting unwanted noise. Sound-absorption material is added to the fuel rail and injectors, as well, along with “all sorts of other little details” Siegrist says he’ll keep to himself until it launches...

...Last year, the Cruze turbodiesel accounted for about 3.0% of the car’s 273,060 sales, compared with an estimated take-rate of 25% of the Jetta overall 160,873 deliveries, according to WardsAuto engine installation data...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"...Last year, the Cruze turbodiesel accounted for about 3.0% of the car’s 273,060 sales, compared with an estimated take-rate of 25% of the Jetta overall 160,873 deliveries, "

But now with ALL 2009 - 2015 Jetta diesel models sold about to be parked, and zero new 2015 or 2016 Jetta diesel models to be sold anytime soon. The Cruze has the spotlight and is in position to gain sales from those wanting a diesel and 'looked' at the Cruze diesel in the past. But it would be smart for GM to ask the EPA to re-certify the Cruze diesel so it's clear there are no surprises in the wake.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
since the gang @ GMi say it's a good article ....& it has a pretty graphic (TL;DR)

Aluminum-Steel Welding Next Step in GM’s Lightweighting Initiative
WardsAuto

David E. Zoia | May 19, 2016

In the initial aluminum-to-steel production program, GM will be moving cautiously, replacing only a couple of the rivets currently used to test the manufacturing process and prove part durability before moving on to more extensive applications.

What is in this article?:
Aluminum-Steel Welding Next Step in GM’s Lightweighting Initiative
Carbon Fiber Wheels, Magnesium Parts...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
swiping (about all I can do at the mo)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD1984 @ GMi

Future Automotive Products: Chevrolet SS
Automotive News - Pipeline

By Shiraz Ahmed - 07/12/2016

The future of the large, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan is in question as GM shuts its Australia manufacturing operations. The 2017MY could very well be its last hurrah. Until then, rumors out of Australia point toward next year’s SS coming with a 6.2-liter LSA supercharged V-8 engine tuned approximately like earlier Camaro ZL1 and Cadillac CTS-V models. There’s no official word from Chevrolet about the future plans of the SS nameplate, but rumors point to the possibility of a replacement being built off of GM’s Alpha platform, which underpins the Camaro and Cadillac ATS.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
in case anyone playing along at home needs to catch up (like me)...

Cadillac plays waiting game
AutomotiveNews

Mike Colias - July 18, 2016

Cadillac and its dealers have a painfully long wait as a slew of new models grind their way through GM development. Nothing is on the horizon until mid-2018, when a new compact crossover should arrive, the first of at least three new nameplates.

CT3: Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen has referred repeatedly to an entry-level sedan that would be slotted below the ATS as the answer to the Mercedes-Benz CLA, Audi A3 and other rivals. But given the shrinking sedan market, Cadillac is no longer eager to add to that part of its lineup, especially given the catch-up job it has on crossovers. The ATS and its eventual replacement will be the brand's lone small-car entry for the foreseeable future.

ATS/CT4: For the '17 model year, Cadillac is dropping the ATS' 2.5-liter engine, making the 2.0-liter turbo the base powerplant. Under Cadillac's evolving nomenclature, the CT4 nameplate is expected to be used for all variants of its compact car -- sedan, coupe and convertible.

A redesigned ATS sedan should get the CT4 tag in the second half of 2018. A coupe should arrive soon after. A convertible remains in the plans, but its timing is unclear.

CTS/CT5: A redesigned CT5 sedan should replace the current CTS in the first half of 2019. A coupe should arrive a year later.

CT8...

XT2...

XT3...

XT5...

XT7...

- - - - - -

adding/fwiw
Report: GM Most Likely To Leave UK Over Brexit (or use it as EXCUSE)
AutoVerdict

by Nick Saporito - July 18, 2016

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
coming to a Buick pricepoint near You...
2018 Cadillac XT3 – The newest luxury crossover coming soon!
The biggest competitor of Audi Q3

AutoSpies

cezarr submitted on 10/30/2016Auto Spies Photos Timestamp: 10:57:18 AM

...Unlike its larger cars which are all based on rear wheel drive platforms, the XT3 should get the same front-wheel based chassis as the Malibu. This would be smaller than that of its sibling, but it should give them more wiggle room as the smaller platform will also allow for better car-like characteristics. These are very important in a car as small as the upcoming XT3.
swiping a comment:
"...some rumors suggested that it may borrow a coupe-like design, something similar to the upcoming Audi Q2..."

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
What I like about this Riviera design is, it is not attempting to run away from the traditional Riviera styling cues that set it apart during the 1960's and 1970's. It seems to have presence, looks big and has the upward curves lifting up the passenger rear windows, that help's one to identify it as a Riviera. The rear window's tapering into the trunk reminds me of the boat-tail 1971-73 Riviera's. Although, I was not a huge fan of the boat-tail rear window of the 1971-73 Riviera's, I certainly think there's something to be said about reclaiming creative styling cues, that genuinely set American automobiles apart.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts