1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
German brands widen lead in U.S. luxury auto market - Detroit News
Mercedes, BMW pulling away from Cadillac, Lincoln

By Christine Tierney - May 14, 2012 at 8:37 am

As Germany's luxury carmakers battle among themselves for global leadership, they have widened their lead in the U.S. over other premium brands that have been left to breathe their fumes.

BMW and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz are the top sellers of luxury cars in the U.S., while Volkswagen's Audi brand is growing fast and aims to boost its U.S. sales by more than 50 percent in six years...

...Detroit's premium brands — General Motors Co.'s Cadillac and Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln — are falling behind, despite big comeback plans.

Competition in the increasingly crowded upscale segment is set to increase as laggards and newcomers compete against the revitalized Germans...

..."The Germans have gone berserk with product proliferation," said George Peterson, president of AutoPacific Inc., a consulting firm in Tustin, Calif. "They have models for every segment and every subsegment."

From Audi's new A7 Sportback to BMW's compact X1 SUV and ActiveE electric cars, the Germans are filling in gaps and testing new engine technologies.

In the first four months of the year, BMW, Mercedes and Audi have expanded U.S. sales by 15 percent or more, while the leading Japanese and U.S. brands are treading water or retreating.

Cadillac's sales are down 23.9 percent this year. The drop reflects the end of production of the STS and DTS sedans that are being replaced by the soon-to-be-launched XTS, said Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell.

Lincoln sales are flat, and analysts say both of the U.S. premium brands have been hurt by a dearth of investment during the recent financial hardships...

...said Mark Templin, general manager of the Lexus brand at Toyota Motor Sales USA...
..."There's going to be more competition in the luxury space than ever before."

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Lincoln sales are flat, and analysts say both of the U.S. premium brands have been hurt by a dearth of investment during the recent financial hardships...
Well, the 2013 MKZ isn't available yet so I'm curious what the writer of the article is expecting...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just makes the mkz have even a bigger role to play in boosting Lincoln until other models are completely redone, but also makes me wonder what the industry will look like when Lincoln and Cadillac have their newest models out.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2b2 said:
Well, the 2013 MKZ isn't available yet so I'm curious what the writer of the article is expecting...
imho, all thing considered ...among them Cadillac being down so much...,
"FLAT" is practically amazingly Good!

&
tho I don't want Lincoln or Cadillac to try to beat the Germans at the own game 'directly'
(ie going "berserk with product proliferation")
I sure wish Lincoln had more than ONE and a HALF cars :wink:
and ONE and Two-Quarter Suv/Cuvs re-:wink:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
tho I don't want Lincoln or Cadillac to try to beat the Germans at the own game 'directly'
(ie going "berserk with product proliferation")
I sure wish Lincoln had more than ONE and a HALF cars :wink:
and ONE and Two-Quarter Suv/Cuvs re-:wink:
I'm quite optimistic that Lincoln will get there. If every other model in their line-up receives an up-date like the MKZ did, they are back in the game.:thumb:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I will spot Lincoln one point against Lexus, that being when its ES hybrid shows up, Lincoln will have been in that segment for a couple of years already. Beyond that, the Germans mad model proliferation goes past the fact that there are many segments of the luxury market in which Cadillac and Lincoln presently don't even bother to compete, or they do so with short lived efforts like the Allante and XLR. On top of building four door "coupes", the Germans still build coupes. Cadillac builds one, but with the choices in equipment available, it doesn't compare well with the BMW 3 series. Lincoln doesn't build any. Coupes, convertibles and roadsters are still sexy, and a recent trip to a Mercedes dealer revealed that, for example, the C class coupe sells better than expected, as even some older people are tired of four door sedans, it would seem. When I discovered that between the lower payments on leasing one, and the upper 20s miles per gallon I could expect, I am looking at the idea very seriously. At that rate, let's face it, having your cake and eating it in a single, satisfying gulp would be so nice. Too bad I'd have to wait for three years (about the term of a lease) for a similar Cadillac or Lincoln.

I did consider a Lincoln, a MKZ hybrid, the only current Lincoln interesting enough for my consideration. The lease payments looked similar to the purchase payments, and at that dealership, they tried selling me a Kia Optima hybrid as well. Uh....no.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Cadillac builds one, but with the choices in equipment available, it doesn't compare well with the BMW 3 series...

...the C class coupe sells better than expected... When I discovered that between the lower payments on leasing one, and the upper 20s miles per gallon I could expect, I am looking at the idea very seriously...

...Too bad I'd have to wait for three years (about the term of a lease) for a similar Cadillac or Lincoln...
hi Max,
imho the CTS is only similar to the 3er in price, in size it's like the 5er, the ATS will be 3-sized (as I'm sure you know)

will you check out the 3 series too? - considering (at least) that it outsells the C-class

the new Mustang is just under 22 months from intro/on-sale. Tho I doubt it, Lincoln could bring out a version a bit earlier

·
Registered
384 Posts
I tried out the new 3 series pretty much the same time I tried out the C Class. Perhaps the salesman fiddles with a few too many buttons while I was driving it, but in some way I was not as impressed. Besides, somewhere along the line, I decided I was tired of four doors in something where someone my size would have his knees pretty directly in my back, and the new 3 series coupe is next year. You're right about the CTS, and the size of it. Also, while the CTS coupe isn't bad looking, it's simply not as sexy as the next bigger BMW coupe, to wit, the 6 series.

If Lincoln could pull off a coupe in less time than the new Mustang is expected, that would be most interesting. Because I've had reason to delay things, if I thought for sure that something better was really just over the horizon from Lincoln, I'd wait. But I suspect that unless we see something at the next major American auto show, I'd be at the end of whatever lease I might get when this new Lincoln hits the streets. I'd be out of that car, and into the Lincoln, if they've done it right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's good to know that Cadillac has been steadily improving its products. As many are aware, Cadillac has worked on the ATS sedan, with the stated intent of giving the BMW 3 series a black eye. The ATS cost has just been publicized at $33,990 and the car hits car dealerships this summer. I found the repor there: Cadillac ATS price finally announced at $33,990.

·
Registered
997 Posts
the new Mustang is just under 22 months from intro/on-sale. Tho I doubt it, Lincoln could bring out a version a bit earlier[/QUOTE]

2b2, I would think it makes more sense for Lincoln to bring out the new technology/innovations etc on the new RWD vehicle before the Mustang is introduced............unless Ford thinks more of the Mustang "Brand" than Lincoln?? (Look at all the Mustang special editions)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Well..the Mustang 'brand' offers more model variations, sells more cars, and it certainly sells more merchandise than Lincoln.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well..the Mustang 'brand' offers more model variations, sells more cars, and it certainly sells more merchandise than Lincoln.
and also as of right now has a better reputation

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
had a little free time so...

sales 2011
85,643 Lincoln Brand
70,438 Mustang

imho Lincoln could triple its numbers with the right models, doubt the Mustang can.
Of course it'll cost a Lot more to develop Lincolns than versions of the Mustang
but then the Lincolns COULD be priced even higher than Shelbys (imho)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts