Ford Inside News banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found a(n unusally) well informed thread @ BON about what capabilities & structure may/should/need to happen for the nextgen global Fusion.Edge.Mondeo.S-Max platform

since my engineering knowledge is more "theoretical" ;)
here's:
...I would guess that this new car will pick up the best of the litter, and try to reduce cost at the same time.

Body Structure
  • The body structure likely will be unique, but will borrow heavily from both existing platforms.
  • It has to meet US safety requirements (including IIHS) and European safety requirements.
  • It has to package a hybrid system, and with the new California requirements, might have to go PHEV which might means even more package space for batteries unless Ford goes lithium.
  • It has to package the 3.5l V6, and the US engine mounting strategy
  • It has to package the I5 (unless FoE goes all I4/EBI4 which is a possibility)
  • It has to package AWD
  • Ford will have to consider weight reduction opportunities to reduce fuel consumption
  • It has to be compatible with the S-Max and Galaxy derivatives
  • It has to avoid a major plant tearup in Hermosillo and Genk
  • It should try to keep the suspension mount points of the chosen carryover suspension and let the sheetmetal float around those points if necessary (like you noticed on the Volvo -- BMW does this all the time).
  • If possible with the constraints above, it should try to re-utilize as many stampings as possible, particularly underbody and structural, but my guess is there will be a lot of "all new".

Suspension
  • The front suspension likely will be a lift from the Mondeo. Struts don't have as much potential as SLA, but they are cheaper, FoE makes them work, and they are consistent with Ford's competitive set.
  • The rear suspension likely will be a CB lift from Mondeo. It's cheaper than the Mazda rear and it works.

I don't have any direct knowledge on the above, just guessing, but this will be fun to watch.
some of my main interests are
- how size-flexible the new platform will be (Jetta>>Accord OR Edge>>Taurus?) and
- what the darn thing is gonna be Called
(was thinking 'ACE' AmericanCthruE; now 'C-C/D-D' ...CCDD or C2D2 for short :))

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
wouldn't call EUCd better than Cd3 - but because it is based on C1 - it will be used as the key part. EUCd already supports AWD and hybrids (C1 does), and so Ford will have less work to do that people think.

remember this is all new TOP HAT, tweaked platform stage for Ford - not an All new vehicle - that wil lcome in around 2018-2020.

Igor

·
Registered
182 Posts
wouldn't call EUCd better than Cd3 - but because it is based on C1 - it will be used as the key part. EUCd already supports AWD and hybrids (C1 does), and so Ford will have less work to do that people think.

remember this is all new TOP HAT, tweaked platform stage for Ford - not an All new vehicle - that wil lcome in around 2018-2020.

Igor
regardless though, they have alot or requirements to equally mesh the needs of the American and Euro pacific consumer. I bet Ford is realizing the challenges of having a new Global Ford. But I have faith they will execute the car for all differing markets.

·
Registered
432 Posts
regardless though, they have alot or requirements to equally mesh the needs of the American and Euro pacific consumer. I bet Ford is realizing the challenges of having a new Global Ford. But I have faith they will execute the car for all differing markets.
what challenges? the cars are already the same size and a car that drives well in Europe will drive well in US well (OK give ussofter springs).

The biggest challenge will be redesigning the engine bay for Duratec V6, and uniting the wiring, computers etc.

That said- all that will be done for the Focus (EUCD and C1 are related) - so for the Fusion.Mondeo all they have to do is add the V6, and AWD to the mix.

BTW - this will make Ford hybrid possible for EU, and Ford Diesel much more likely for US (all they will need is market demand).

igor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts