Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/15/gm-announces-clean-diesel-v8-for-pickups-and-the-hummer-h2/
Mark your calendars, because we're calling today a watershed moment for the advancement of diesel's acceptance in the U.S. General Motors has just announced a new 4.5L V8 Duramax turbo-diesel powerplant it plans to use in the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra half-ton pickups, as well as the HUMMER H2. The new oil burner is expected to produce at least 310 horsepower and 520 ft-lbs. of torque. It features dual-overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, a variable-vane turbocharger and aluminum cylinder heads with integrated manifolding that helps keep the overall package small enough to fit in the same space as the automaker's small-block gas V8s.

That's right, just imagine the possibilities. Wherever GM uses a small-block V8 gas engine, it could potentially use the 4.5L V8 Duramax diesel. In a few years we could be driving diesel Impalas, diesel Camaros, maybe even a diesel Corvette! To quote GM's press release, the engine's small size gives it "the flexibility to introduce this engine in a wide variety of vehicle applications should there be future market demand." Indeed.

GM estimates that the engine will improve fuel efficiency by 25%, reduce CO2 emissions by 13% and decrease particulate and NOx emissions by at least 90% in its GMT900 pickups and the HUMMER H2. Whoever said the HUMMER H2 was on its way out will likely be proven incorrect after this engine debuts. Scheduled to be built at the GM Tonawanda engine plant outside Buffalo, NY, the 4.5L V8 Duramax diesel will be 50-state emissions compliant and meet 2010 diesel emissions standards, as well. GM claims its new diesel will also have NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) levels approaching those of today's current gas V8s, though we'll have to wait and see if that wish comes true. That wait should end in a couple of years, as the automaker states the engine will be available in Silverado, Sierra and H2 models built after 2009.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like the motor will be pretty impressive. Hopefully the Ford diesel will be similar in power numbers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
With the higher CAFE standards, I could see these diesel engines being the only ones available in pickup trucks 10 years from now.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I hope the Ford Diesel is actually slightly less capable and far more FE. Or, at lease offer 2 seperate tunings, one for very mild duty (less boost) in an Expedition or Navi and one tuned hard for 1/2 ton trucks. An Expy or Tahoe does not really need 520 ftlbs and 22mpg. I needs about 400ftlbs and 26mpg. Of course, both would be nice, but reality does happen.

BTW, thats a small V8 considering it has DOHC.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The Small Block V8, is by far the most compact V8 out there. Its an impressive engine especially the LS 2, LS3 LS6 and LS 7. The power output is just about the best there is.

If they can make such a compact diesel, its really something

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The Small Block V8, is by far the most compact V8 out there. Its an impressive engine especially the LS 2, LS3 LS6 and LS 7. The power output is just about the best there is.

If they can make such a compact diesel, its really something

All pushrod engines are small, relatively speaking. Not really impressive in that respect, which is compact OHV architecture. GM will have a hard time when challenged to clean up their engines though. 2 valves is not a good path to PZEV or ULEVII. 4 valves will help you get there much easier. Does it really matter? Well, with so much emphasis on GW and automotive emissions lately, you tell me.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
All pushrod engines are small, relatively speaking. Not really impressive in that respect, which is compact OHV architecture. GM will have a hard time when challenged to clean up their engines though. 2 valves is not a good path to PZEV or ULEVII. 4 valves will help you get there much easier. Does it really matter? Well, with so much emphasis on GW and automotive emissions lately, you tell me.
I agree with you on this. But given GM is soo heavily invested in OHV, I would not put it beyond them to figure out a way to make it ULEVII.
After all they pulled off VVT on them when most people thought it could not be done.
We will wait and see. They seem to love the OHV enough to do anything to keep them alive

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I agree with you on this. But given GM is soo heavily invested in OHV, I would not put it beyond them to figure out a way to make it ULEVII.
After all they pulled off VVT on them when most people thought it could not be done.
Maybe it can be done, prob with expensive cat emissions systems or after-treatments though. Also too, are they not limited with their cam-in-block, intake only VVT system? Yeah, it works good, but DOHC allows you the freedom of exclusive int/exh valve control - further helping emissions.

GM has certainly mastered the OHV engine, but I am only really impressed when cyl displacement is large, like 6.0L or more. Is that really so impressive then I wonder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts