Ford Inside News banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I'm kind of curious what all will get the 9-speed. I cant imagine all FWD/AWD vehicles will get it as it doesnt seem like it would make a lot of sense in low torque applications like the Focus or Fiesta.
I have a feeling there will be several 'flavors' of the 9-speed transmission. I remember a comment about the 9-speed from someone at Ford calling it the 9-speed transmission 'family'.

For small cars, more gears offers the lower revolutions and better fuel economy, without having to go CVT like Honda and Toyota with simulated gear changes. Ford being more driver focused, like BMW, I expect a compact/sub-compact version, especially for the new Focus, C-Max and Fiesta.

I think the launch of the 10-speed with F-150/Raptor and possible 9-speed with Fusion Sport/MKZ 3.0t/Continental 3.0t is due to higher engine/trim costs that can absorb much of the transmission premium to increase the take rate. Which should drive the price down a bit so it's more viable for lower trim level models in the next year.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
^ & I'm still wondering about the 7-speed wet-DCT (esp for the smaller engines) if they'll ever use it or have already moved on?
I dont know, right now Ford and DCT and a couple words that shouldnt be used together, the Powershift has left a bitter taste in many peoples mouths. I know mine has pushed me nearly to the point a swore I'd never buy another Ford again. That didnt last :grin2:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
^ maybe use a germanic name for it instead of PowerShift or DCT?
...and illustrate the side-by-side gear sets (afaik) with a couple knockwursts?
:angel

GM plans stop-start fleetwide by 2020
Systems to earn CAFE compliance credits

AutomotiveNews

Richard Truett - May 23, 2016

...GM spokesman Tom Read tells Automotive News that vehicles equipped with the stop-start system will use absorbent glass mat batteries (AGM) and tandem solenoid starters to enable faster and smoother restarts...

..."Everyone will end up adding start-stop," says AutoPacific analyst Dave Sullivan. "Now there's a benefit in the EPA cycle, which there wasn't a few years ago. GM's new nine- and 10-speed automatic transmissions have been engineered from the beginning to incorporate start-stop. That will make it much easier and much smoother. That's what's been the holdup. First it was a regulatory issue, then it was a hardware issue."

The new transmissions, developed jointly with Ford, have accumulators that keep the transmission pressurized when the engine is off. That enables the vehicle to move away quickly the instant the engine is restarted...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts