Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM considers a countermove: Light-duty diesels

DETROIT -- Steve Kiefer, General Motors' vice president of global powertrain, said he is considering a diesel engine for the light-duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra to counter fuel economy improvements due on the Ford F-150 and Ram pickups.

He also said GM engineers are working to improve the cylinder cutoff system already on the trucks. The system turns off half an engine's cylinders when the vehicle is cruising.

The 4.3-liter, V-6-powered Silverado and Sierra are EPA rated at 24 mpg on the highway. That is better than the 23 mpg of the most fuel-efficient 2014 F-150 but is 2 mpg behind the V-6 powered Ram 1500.

GM's full-sized pickups, however, soon will be chasing the competition. A Ram powered by an available 3.0-liter diesel V-6 goes on sale next month with a highway EPA rating expected to be around 28 mpg.

Ford officials are shooting for the same or better when the redesigned F-150 arrives this fall. The aluminum-intensive pickup shaves between 550 and 700 pounds of weight and will be available with a new compact 2.7-liter turbocharged V-6.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...countermove:-light-duty-diesels#ixzz2qxw5HzzP

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I hear this it sounds to me like GM has done everything they could to squeeze out economy from their OHV V8s and need to start looking elsewhere.

I don't know about anyone else that frequents here but diesel is more expensive than regular unleaded gas where I live and has been this way for more than 3 years now. Also when there is a gas price war the price of diesel never drops.

I had a chance to drive a 2014 Silverado crew cab with the 4.3 and I am sure that the 4.3 will remain a fleet queen

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
So GM took the economical route financially with their full size trucks while investing heavily in Cadillac and full sized SUVs. Ford tool the economical route with Lincoln and SUVs while investing heavily in the F-150. As much as I wish both Lincoln and full sized SUVs got more investment at Ford the past few years I'm guessing this was the correct decision on their part.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So GM took the economical route financially with their full size trucks while investing heavily in Cadillac and full sized SUVs. Ford tool the economical route with Lincoln and SUVs while investing heavily in the F-150. As much as I wish both Lincoln and full sized SUVs got more investment at Ford the past few years I'm guessing this was the correct decision on their part.
they invest heavy in the F150, now is time to invest heavily in Full size SUVS and invest more heavily in Lincoln

1 - 4 of 4 Posts