Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gm did first ride comparo againdt the expy. Seems the new gms ride better than the expy, but it does have air springs. That gap will narrow considerably if ford puts their air ride system to the expy/navi, which shouldnt be too difficult.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Initial indication is that GM copied a lot of Ford's IRS on the Expedition.
Turns out to be different.

Its closer to the Focus/Escape Control blade layout except it has trailing arms on bushings instead of a flexible trailing "blade" arm.

The Expedition's IRS makes use if lateral links and diagonal links, no trailing arms.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A better word is mimic, which gm did alot of with their new suv. They took most of what ford(and toyota) offered and said what can we do to make it better. Toyota already offers an adjustable air suspension, just not 4 corner. Both already offer sliding sec row seats, but gm didnt add the tilt function for whatever reason.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I would not even call it a mimic. I think that a robust IRS really designs itself, based on requirements put forth. GM went a bit further with a controlled air dampening system, which no doubt has it's merits, but that does not delegate coils to the dust bin. A comparison is welcome, and I am curious how they do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
True, the design for gms irs does look eerily similar to fords set up, jus diffierent positioning for the links. The japanese/euro setups look drastically different by comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts