·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Falls Just Short of Catching Toyota in Global Sales
By: Phil LeBeau
24 Jan 2011
CNBC

They'll tell you in Detroit, being #1 isn't the most important thing. After all, it's profits not market share that matters. But you can bet GM wanted to pass up Toyota for the global sales title.

The numbers have been tallied and Japan's largest auto maker outsold America's biggest auto maker, just barely. Actually by fewer than 30,000 vehicles.

Toyota and its partners sold 8.418 million vehicles around the world last year.

GM and its partners sold 8.390 million.

Full text at link

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I dont care about sales numbers. Most important is profits. And Ford is on track to be the most profitable automaker.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I dont care about sales numbers. Most important is profits. And Ford is on track to be the most profitable automaker.
What do you mean "on track"? Today Ford is the most profitable automaker in the planet . . . let the two clay feet giants fight for the "most bloated" crown :)

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean "on track"? Today Ford is the most profitable automaker in the planet . . . let the two clay feet giants fight for the "most bloated" crown :)
Hmm...but wouldn't you like to see GM on top instead of Toyota?...

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
YES! But that could be different soon. VW is running at max speed to be the biggest, following by Toyota, GM, Hyundai-Kia and clossing the top 5, Ford. This could be the list by 2017 or 2018

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES! But that could be different soon. VW is running at max speed to be the biggest, following by Toyota, GM, Hyundai-Kia and clossing the top 5, Ford. This could be the list by 2017 or 2018
If you include Suzuki in with VW, they are the biggest. But for some reason, they dont. VW Group (without Scania, MAN, NEOPLAN, and Suzuki) sold over 7m last year. Suzuki itself, alone, sold around a million in India alone!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Assuming such rank is of any relevance . . . I guess. What I would like to see GM doing for real is generating enough goodwill so that the government can get rid of the stock they still hold without losing any money.

They fact that they are both handsomely out-earned by a much smaller (ad heavily indebted) company speaks volumes about the current state of affairs in those two.

From an strictly visceral point of view, yes I like to see GM ahead of Toyota . . . I am not sure of the wisdom in doing so by giving away Impalas and Aveos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts