Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Chuck Stevens GM's chief financial officer said:
"...This is an all-new architecture. Our last three generations of truck were fundamentally of the same architecture with changes in sheet metal. So this is an absolutely all-new architecture, which requires all-new body shops..."
needing to greatly revamp a factory when switching METALS I can understand
but
WHY would it be required when building the same size, same material, same general form-factor??
afaik this isn't like switching from cars to planes & tanks during WWII
shouldn't ALL modern factories be more flexible than that??

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Maybe it's RAM that is doing this but I thought Chevy was going to maintain production of the older "Classic" truck? Ford did not change both factories at the same time either which the article implies.

The Aluminum F-Series is perhaps the greatest moonshot Detroit has ever done, it really was an incredible undertaking considering what was at stake and how unproven so much of that product was. It's amazing nothing catastrophic happened, let alone any minor quality niggles.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
needing to greatly revamp a factory when switching METALS I can understand
but
WHY would it be required when building the same size, same material, same general form-factor??
afaik this isn't like switching from cars to planes & tanks during WWII
shouldn't ALL modern factories be more flexible than that??
from dealer on BON
"Ford's manufacturing division can't even accurately forecast how many vehicles they can produce in a given week. Allocation for a scheduling week often results in a notice that the "Plant is Full" and that allocation will roll over to the following week."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts