1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ct6???

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Impalla, Lacrosse, and XTS, all on the same platform. If the plant shuts down, they all cease production.
CT6 could be replaced with (and made on the same line) an extended CTS. If so, maybe Caddy will bring back real names.

Volt will give way to a newer electric, likely based on a larger than Bolt CUV

Sonic just doesn't need to be sold in the US anymore.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It's their second worst selling car with only 5397 YTD. Worst selling is the CTS at 5059.
But CT6 is a part of JDN's ultimate vision. Even then it sells around the same numbers as the Continental. Should Lincoln kill the Continental too?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
But CT6 is a part of JDN's ultimate vision. Even then it sells around the same numbers as the Continental. Should Lincoln kill the Continental too?
CT6 won't go anywhere. Not after what they've poured into it. If anything, CTS and ATS will be combined back into a single vehicle (like CTS used to be).

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
CT6 won't go anywhere. Not after what they've poured into it. If anything, CTS and ATS will be combined back into a single vehicle (like CTS used to be).
Exactly that's the plan as far as I have heard and that makes more sense.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Thanks for posting this @badhac :thumb: I couldn't decide which thread to use :nerd:
Found an article on Autoblog today http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/21/gm-may-kill-6-car-models-as-it-works-with-uaw-to-tackle-sales-sl/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-2
Stating that GM may kill off 6 models after 2020, those models are:
the Chevy Volt
the Chevy Impala
the Chevy Sonic
the Buick LaCrosse > Link
the Cadillac XTS &
the Cadillac CT6 > Link
...add:
the JdN
the Uwe > Link
:angel >:)

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I think autoblog may be exaggerating things a bit. Just as all consumers don't want a sedan, they don't want a CUV either, the sales decline in sedans is only about a 'sharing' of consumers for the same segment. Then there is the rapid transition from combustion engines to EVs(pushed by China's regulations) that will play a part as well.

Chevy Volt - not going anywhere and if anything it will be upgraded again to a full 400+ mile EV by its next generation. It is the Bolt that should be going away with the launch of a Volt EV.

Chevy Sonic - by 2020 this sub-compact will have grown into a compact size and redundant since that's where Cruze lives.

Chevy Impala - Major design problem with the 'new' Impala is it's too small wheelbase, now the same as the new Malibu at 111 inches. A large car on a midsize wheelbase = redundancy.

Buick LaCrosse - 'new' Lacross with it's longer 114-inch wheelbase(that Impala should have had0, just had an 87% sales increase for June.

Cadillac XTS - Another large car based on a midsize car wheelbase like Impala, just got redundant with new CT6.

Cadillac CT6 - not going anywhere and by 2020 a next gen more electrification should be launched.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I expect production of the Buick and Cadillac sedans to be moved to China where they are already made and are more popular. No sense building low volume prestige cars on two assembly lines. I expect the Impala, Sonic, and Spark to be dropped. I don't think the Malibu will be dropped. GM has only limited capital to invest in new product and no sense continuing to throw money into vehicle classes where its market share has declined year after year for 30 years.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Thanks^ badhac! :thumb:
so
the ATS, CTS, and XTS are "replaced" by the CT5**
EXCEPT
their entry-level ATS Really gets replaced by a smaller sedan to take on the A3 and CLA
>:) :facepalm: :angel

** I wonder if the CT5 will be closer in size to a 3er or 5er? :nerd:

edit:
just thought, since the "CT-minus" is targeting A3/CLA,
That^ means it'll be FRONTwd, right??
re-:facepalm:
re-edit:
Jollypop says,
"Cadillac is developing a car that would fit below the ATS, de Nysschen said, declining to put a time frame on its arrival.

Unlike the front-wheel-drive layout of the CLA — which is less expensive to develop and typically allows for more interior space — Cadillac plans to build its future entry-level sedan on the same rwd platform that underpins the ATS, codenamed Alpha.

"The cost and packaging advantages of front-wheel drive are appealing. But Cadillac is the challenger brand," de Nysschen said. "We want to build our reputation as a purveyor of high-performance drivers' cars … so it's better that we do it off a rear-wheel drive architecture." "

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Thanks^ badhac! :thumb:
so
the ATS, CTS, and XTS are "replaced" by the CT5**
EXCEPT
their entry-level ATS Really gets replaced by a smaller sedan to take on the A3 and CLA
>:) :facepalm: :angel

** I wonder if the CT5 will be closer in size to a 3er or 5er? :nerd:

edit:
just thought, since the "CT-minus" is targeting A3/CLA,
That^ means it'll be FRONTwd, right??
re-:facepalm:
If they go that route and make a CT4 or what ever I will guess it may be FWD based

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
^ "CT-minus™" >:)
&
see Jollypop update FWIW, above
Jeeze the ATS already had extremely small back seat room I imagine it would only get worse!

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I think Cadilac did most everything right with the ATS, except for the body design. Just shrinking down an old person's big car won't make it desirable to the sub 30 demographic. It's just a smaller old person's car. That concept only works when the larger or flagship model is desired by the younger buyer but they can't afford it, like an S-Class or 7-Series or Model S. No young person in their right mind would want an XTS, so a smaller version of that car won't appeal.

I hope Lincoln is paying attention, and don't make a new smaller MKZ(or whatever it's called) just a smaller version of the current Continental. However, a smaller more aggressive, more modern, RWD + Hybrid version of the Continental Concept would be going in a better direction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts