Ford Inside News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Odd, that article itself points out that people don't purchase the available Z71 off road package on their SUVs in volume, yet GM believes thats how those trucks are used? There is a world of difference between todays SUVs and the Blazers, Jimmy's, Ramchargers, and Broncos of the past.

I think what this boils down to is GM attempting to find way to compete with the Raptor while also creating their own niche. The funny thing is GM is in better position than Ford to put together a great factory built offroader with their next mid-size truck platform. Bigger isn't equal to better when it comes to building a capable off road vehicle and the mid-size platform gives them the ability to build a proper Jeep competitor. If you want to build a go anywhere truck that is where you start, however I understand we have a full size truck fetish in the US which says otherwise.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's good business sense for GM to pursue this course of action. The tricky part will be to make the business case for going full-on gonzo with it like an SUV-Raptor or whether to do more of a Power Wagon thing. Either way if they take the plunge I'm guessing they'll be looking for conquest sales as opposed to current buyers upgrading with their next purchase.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Ford has absolutely no excuse for allowing the Expedition to die on the vine as it has, and for not offering a Raptor Expedition variant.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Once again, it all boils down to a business case. Ford's product emphasis is quite different than GM's, as evidenced by the EcoBoost F-Series and reliance on unibody SUVs. It may well be the case that the Expedition will go the way of the Excursion and Explorer (I'm guessing the Explorer, but never mind). In that case, a hardcore off-roader would require a much different approach than the Raptor.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Ford has absolutely no excuse for allowing the Expedition to die on the vine as it has, and for not offering a Raptor Expedition variant.
It sure is easy to say that freshening a product would increase sales…..but do you believe that changing a products life cycle (effectively moving it ahead of a pre-planned schedule, which always affects other programs/timing/budget/etc.), is justified for ROI….keeping in mind the lack of consumer interest in that class & the fact that the competition is not doing anything either during same period? Remember, the justification has to be calculated during the move ahead period, let’s say 6 years instead of 8.

It sure is easy to say wudda-cudda-shudda….but let’s be smart with our justification.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Raptor has been an unexpected sales success for Ford, and as such a Raptor Expedition variant should inevitably lift the flagging sales of the Expedition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts