Ford Inside News banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM takes a calculated approach to bettering their bread and butter vehicles.
www.GMInsideNews.com
December 13, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Speculation, spy shots and talking points have consistently leaked out details of GM’s next generation full-size trucks. Finally, the speculation can subside as the company has formally taken the wraps off the new trucks. The reveal sheds light on a largely evolutionary version of GM’s famous nameplates; incremental improvements to almost every aspect, with a few headlines thrown in.

Anchoring the 2014 full-size trucks is largely the same platform that the current GMT-900’s reside on. This means that, yes, the side rails of the frame remain fully boxed, and GM has actually increased the amount of the frame that is formed through expensive hydro-forming. Engineers have also taken efforts to isolate the cab from the frame to increase rigidity and quietness, which should translate to the trucks feeling more solid over harsh terrain. GM has also switched to in-laid doors on the cabins, which will also increase structural rigidity.

Resting on the revised frame will be three all-new engines, though their published displacements are very familiar. The base engine will be a 4.3-liter V-6, though it will not be the iron block, three-decade-old version in the 2013 trucks. Instead the new 4.3-liter is all new, borrowing nearly all of its technology from the new Gen V V-8 engines, including Active Fuel Management.

Leveraging the addition of a balance shaft; the 4.3-liter will be capable of operating on four of its six cylinders under specific conditions. It will also utilize direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and the same very advanced combustion system from the Gen V Small Block. With all of that, and an aluminum block, GM expects the new 4.3-liter to rival today’s 4.8-liter in terms of power and provide best-in-class V-6 torque. GM is also aiming for best in class towing with the V-6. Of course, both bragging rights are comparing to naturally aspirated V-6's only.

More...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I wish they differentiated the 2 more. I don't like how they have the same exact fenders and doors etc. It really begs the question what the point of GMC is when its just a different grille.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I heard that these trucks were going to blow away the competition, and that the GMC styling was going to be "cutting edge". Then this is what they had. LOL. LIke betting $50 grand on a pair of 3's. Another 7 years of boredom for GM fans. Glad I bought a 2013 F150.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
These trucks look horrible. No wonder why they weren't shown in Texas.

Ed Welburn along with the other clowns at GM like Dan Akerson need to fired pronto. GM needs to wake up and fully restructure(VAG's model).

Oh, Just wait until the all new F-150 is unwrapped.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The wood trim in the GMC looks AWFUL

·
Registered
306 Posts
I want you to stop and think about this for a minute.

You are now the CEO of Government Motors. You are going to spend BILLIONS of dollars to bring your full-sized truck lineup into a COMPETITIVE STATUS with FORD and RAM. Currently your Chevrolet full-sized pickup is INCREASINGLY being OUT SOLD by FORD. The month before your product launch your Chevrolet full-sized pickup truck was NEARLY OUTSOLD 2 TO 1 By FORD. The truck you are about to launch will be what you are stuck selling for 6-8 years. That means what you announce today will be selling into 2020.

What would you do?

And what did Government Motors end up doing?

- They merely RESTYLED the exterior. New front end. New tail lights. Same exterior as before with a couple tweaks to enlarge windows and to thin door frames for new seals. And supposedly you added 2 extra inches to the rear seat room.
- Added a corner bumper step for the rear access of box.
- Recycled your old truck engines and tweaked them and then insult Ford for using car engines that have consistently outperformed your current engines in sales and payload.
- Added a trick tailgate that doesn't make a noise when it opens.
- Spent more money on interior materials.
- Then reveal a design that looks as cheap as the old version.
- Instead of differentiating GMC from Chevrolet, they now look even more alike than before except for front end. They even share tail lights. Professional grade? LOL!
- Take NO STEPS to carve out 500 pounds of weight that would have enhanced long term viability in fuel economy. Remember 2020!
- Build a truck that is BARELY COMPETITIVE with the current F-150. In many ways it still remains uncompetitive - especially in the interior.

This is the bed that Chevrolet has made for itself through 2020. By the time the new Ford F-150 hits the market, it will have superior engines, fuel economy, payload, towing, and all creature comforts. What Chevrolet has just done is to surrender. If you were SERIOUS about building a GREAT TRUCK, you'd not even bother with this effort.

Government Motors should be ashamed at this miserable, lazy effort. Once again they rush a half-baked product to market and it is utterly underwhelming and third rate. This truck may not be good enough to even save Chevrolet from selling the WORST pickup truck on the market.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't doubt it. Dodge has been making great strides while GM is content resting on their fanbase. More & more are leaving Gm. I couldn't buy a GM pickup (stale, bland, boring) Looked at Dodge, and decided to stay with tried & true Ford blue! Bought a 2013 F150 STX 5.0.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can say what I didn't say at the sister site.

I think they are awful. They took the ridiculous wheelwell bulges and made them more ridiculous. If the tires and wheels even kinda filled them, it wouldn't be so bad, but with the square cut of the wells, you have to lift the truck a ridiculous amount to just get decent sized wheel/tires on it. Then it looks even more ridiculous.

The interior is awful also. I'm sure that the materials are worlds better than the current ones, but the design of the interior looks like something that would have come out of Pontiac in the early 2000's. That door panel is overstyled for the sake of overstyling, and GM needs to dump their investment in the largest plastiwood farm in existance............... so Buick and GMC don't look so phony inside.

Also, for all of the lamenting that the GM faithful have thrown at Lincoln, calling them rebadged Fords (which is very far from the truth), you have two trucks at GM that are almost identical to each other. As a matter of fact, they are less differentiated than the current versions.

The drivetrains had better be spectacular, or GM truck sales will continue to lag. There is nothing compelling about the new truck, that would make someone just have to have one. Especially considering that a current truck with a JC Whitney catalog thrown at it, would look about the same as the new ones. Of course, the GM faithful will fawn over it, and call it the best thing ever, and buy them in droves.............. just because they are GM trucks.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
I think it's safe to say that the growth of RAM sales has been at the expense of GM.
This silverado does not impress much at all visually. The interior, well, I think I have to see this one in person to judge. Looks interesting, but not in a great way because it is not what I associate with a truck look.

I think they will continue to lose sales to Ram.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
GM knows the F-150 will be a game changer, and they believe it will appear smaller and more aerodynamic to reduce more weight and gain MPG.
Knowing they could not make the same changes to their trucks, they must have chose the alternate route, making the Chevy/GMC twins will look much bolder and industrial looking, or truck-like.
They must be hoping the F-150 will turn off the customers who want the 'biggest and baddest' trucks, and hope their trucks will hit that target. Unfortunately for them, I doubt they will find many of these types of buyers around anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts