1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...811030365/1197

Article quote:

Jamie LaReau - Automotive News - November 3, 2008

DETROIT — General Motors executives are running the company "minute by minute" as they slash the product development budget to save as much as $1.5 billion.

GM's decision to delay key vehicles such as the Chevrolet Cruze as long as a year is a sign of desperation, analysts warn. The bottom line: Dealers won't get a timely delivery of the products that are supposed to ensure GM's recovery.

But GM executives are working to restore the Cruze to its initial intended launch date, the source noted. GM had planned to launch the Cruze in 2010 as a 2011 model.

Industry analyst Doug Scott says GM should do everything possible to protect high-volume vehicles like the Cruze, which has been tentatively delayed six months to a year. GM had planned to launch the Cruze in 2010 as a 2011 model.

"I find it difficult to believe that they would not bring the Cruze to market and put everything else on hold," said Scott, who is senior vice president of the consulting firm GfK Automotive in suburban Detroit. "This is an environment where a core model strategy is absolutely valuable, and that means you have to have two models on full throttle. You can't do it just on the back of the Malibu."

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Band? I do not understand this comment.
Its an historical reference related to the Titanic sinking. After it was clearly obvious that the Titanic was going nowhere but down, the band kept on playing until the bitter end. That is when you see this sort of train reck like GM is going through these days, is not uncommon to hear/read this quote . . .

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
. . . and the band played on.
Its an historical reference related to the Titanic sinking. After it was clearly obvious that the Titanic was going nowhere but down, the band kept on playing until the bitter end. That is when you see this sort of train reck like GM is going through these days, is not uncommon to hear/read this quote . . .
Things are bad over there, but I do not think they will sink. Rick seems to be loosing direction, though. He may just be overwhelmed they need someone from the outside, who has run something as complex as GM to come in.
Remember GM is unique in its complexity, so it is not enough to have managerial experience at high level, you need someone with a good financial and manufacturing back ground in a multi faceted organization to give a fresh look at things over there.

They could hunt from Toyota Japan, Northrop Grumman, GE, Perhaps VW/Audi or Mercedes, Boeing or Airbus, I can think of very few other companies that would give you a skill set needed to run GM.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Things are bad over there, but I do not think they will sink. Rick seems to be loosing direction, though. He may just be overwhelmed they need someone from the outside, who has run something as complex as GM to come in.
Remember GM is unique in its complexity, so it is not enough to have managerial experience at high level, you need someone with a good financial and manufacturing back ground in a multi faceted organization to give a fresh look at things over there.

They could hunt from Toyota Japan, Northrop Grumman, GE, Perhaps VW/Audi or Mercedes, Boeing or Airbus, I can think of very few other companies that would give you a skill set needed to run GM.
In the meantime though, the band is playing. Read THIS

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
In the meantime though, the band is playing. Read THIS
yeahbut
this is what's been going thru my head since I read your post, Sobe :mad:
;)
LOL. THAT WOULD WORK TOO, I GUESS :D
If you look month to month Average, GM is down 28% september, October with Ford about 32%, you got to look at longer periods to make sense of the numbers.
If you look at the YTD, you might be suprised that Even Honda and Toyota are no better than GM/Ford.

my point being, its gloomy everywhere. Like I said, Last months 2008 model fire sale did not help GM in october.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If you look month to month Average, GM is down 28% september, October with Ford about 32%, you got to look at longer periods to make sense of the numbers.
If you look at the YTD, you might be suprised that Even Honda and Toyota are no better than GM/Ford.

my point being, its gloomy everywhere. Like I said, Last months 2008 model fire sale did not help GM in october.
GM is the one company halting R&D and new launches. GM is the one that plunged 45% for october, not Ford, not Toyota or Honda. That they did a fire sale in September and that's why October sales were affected? sure but at a too high cost.

Its gloomy everywhere, yes. But at GM is dead-watch and its all Wagoner doing.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
GM is the one company halting R&D and new launches. GM is the one that plunged 45% for october, not Ford, not Toyota or Honda. That they did a fire sale in September and that's why October sales were affected? sure but at a too high cost.

Its gloomy everywhere, yes. But at GM is dead-watch and its all Wagoner doing.
Well, let us disagree on that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts