Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GMC officially unveiled the GMC Sierra with a laundry list of innovation and surprises not seen on the Chevy. Including the optional Carbon Fiber Bed and "Multipro" tailgate which is incredibly brilliant. Ford certainly needs to pay more attention to bed utility and features which is something they never touched with the last series of updates but have been high priorities for GM and RAM. The "Man Step" now looks like a ridiculous solution compared what GM has done, not to mention solving an obvious fault with Aluminum in the pickup bed.

GMC's powertrain story still remains unremarkable like the Chevy but they are adding a 3.0L I6 Diesel and 10-speeds for all.

Looks like no panoramic like the Ford but better safety tech.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/01/2019-gmc-sierra-revealed/

https://youtu.be/cjY_Sj9wPcU

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Something to think about with the carbon fiber truck bed idea...

'Carbon fiber is different from metals. Pound for pound, carbon fiber is stronger that steel or aluminum. But it behaves differently when it is overloaded in an accident or impact. ... In an accident or impact that does not visibly break the carbon fiber part, the carbon fiber could still have internal or hidden damage.

So when do you know you have a carbon fiber truck bed weakness? Based on GMs demonstration, all the pounding of sharp boulders dropped in the bed might not show external damage, but internal damage building over time will go unnoticed....until it breaks.

I see Ford doing a counter commercial using an x-ray to show damage/fractures to the truck bed carbon fiber the owner wouldn't know they had.

GM's new trucks look like they are trying to hard to stand out, which means they will not age well.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
This truck looks amazing. The appearance is impossing. Is exactly what the typical american truck buyer want: big, squared, with gigantic grill . And it looks more premium than the Chevy. The powerplants are very competitive. The interior looks dated and is not at the same level as the Ford trucks. That smart tailgate is very innovative . I´m sure Ford will respond soon with its own improved version. Carbon fiber bed? I´m not sure this feature could attract more customers than that big grill...i think is an expensive feature that will not be appreciated by the customers.

In 2018 the F series will have strong competition . It will not be easy to mantain that broad hegemony.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Not sure I get the point of the dual tail gate but I will say I am not loving this design nor the design direction from GMC. In the past I always preferred GMC design to Chevy but lately that has reversed, GMC design looks very pigish to me.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There is no question that both the newest RAM and GMC Denali WAY outclass Ford's luxury pickups which is where I think Ford will suffer the biggest customer loss when these trucks come out. But the problem with all the novelty items on the Sierra is that they are all unique to the high-trim Denali which are less likely to see the work these features were designed for.

GM is scheduled to unveil their HD trucks in a few months (Texas I think) which is another big piece of the profit puzzle and right now it certainly looks like they are poised to compete. And in about a year we should see the new Large utilities.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
There is no question that both the newest RAM and GMC Denali WAY outclass Ford's luxury pickups which is where I think Ford will suffer the biggest customer loss when these trucks come out. But the problem with all the novelty items on the Sierra is that they are all unique to the high-trim Denali which are less likely to see the work these features were designed for.

GM is scheduled to unveil their HD trucks in a few months (Texas I think) which is another big piece of the profit puzzle and right now it certainly looks like they are poised to compete. And in about a year we should see the new Large utilities.
RAM MAYBE. But really? The Denali, which is the same as the Chevy "WAY outclasses"? Ok...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RAM MAYBE. But really? The Denali, which is the same as the Chevy "WAY outclasses"? Ok...
Adaptive suspension, HUD, Carbon Fiber Beds, MultiPro Tailgate, and of course every other feature the Ford has except for the panoramic roof and a not-column shifter. Ford truck suspensions are the same across the board, meant for work and durability but the ride and handling on F-Series is largely considered worst in class which is why critics have been largely unimpressed. I think if you want a luxury truck, you probably want a little more luxury in the ride. But you can't fault Ford's success either way so I'm sure they've made the right choices for their customers.

There's actually a TON more innovations in this truck, the HUD appears to be identical to the system in Lincoln.

https://youtu.be/Psm5ntIDs6Q

·
Registered
500 Posts

"WAY outclass" ?????

The new Ram and GM Trucks, do catch them up; but they are brand new, so by definition, they should........ This will enable them to "claw-back" some lost sales, but who thinks Ford is going to stand-still?

HD's are about a year behind the 1/2 tons, so Texas (State Fair) would be the soonest, full-size SUV's, about right, but what does that have to do with anything? Ford's Super Duty and full-size SUV's are BRAND NEW Today!

The Grille, the Grille! BIGGER = Better?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"WAY outclass" ?????

The new Ram and GM Trucks, do catch them up; but they are brand new, so by definition, they should........ This will enable them to "claw-back" some lost sales, but who thinks Ford is going to stand-still?

HD's are about a year behind the 1/2 tons, so Texas (State Fair) would be the soonest, full-size SUV's, about right, but what does that have to do with anything? Ford's Super Duty and full-size SUV's are BRAND NEW Today!

The Grille, the Grille! BIGGER = Better?
Chevy announced the HDs would be shown at the Texas State Fair. Remember the Ford SuperDuty took 2 years to catch up to the 2015 F-150 so GM's timeline is still considerably faster.

As for luxury trucks, there's no question the RAM and GM trucks make Ford look like they are standing still, from design to amenities to sophisticated suspension systems, if you want to pay money for an expensive truck you definitely shouldn't be looking at the Ford this generation unless it's a Raptor. And of course, RAM has two hybrid drivetrains which might kick the pants off of EcoBoost for economy and torque. And that's where GM is definitely behind Ford, engines. Ford has the best gas-burners in the world.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Chevy announced the HDs would be shown at the Texas State Fair. Remember the Ford SuperDuty took 2 years to catch up to the 2015 F-150 so GM's timeline is still considerably faster.

As for luxury trucks, there's no question the RAM and GM trucks make Ford look like they are standing still, from design to amenities to sophisticated suspension systems, if you want to pay money for an expensive truck you definitely shouldn't be looking at the Ford this generation unless it's a Raptor. And of course, RAM has two hybrid drivetrains which might kick the pants off of EcoBoost for economy and torque. And that's where GM is definitely behind Ford, engines. Ford has the best gas-burners in the world.
They make Ford look like it's standing still? Really? Come on man. You have some good points sometimes, but others like this, you take the exaggerations to the extreme.

Again, I would hope that the truck that's all new just revealed a few days ago (and a month ago for the Ram) would leapfrog the truck that dates back to a 2015 full redesign and 2018 refresh.

If there's one segment where Ford is never "standing still", it's the trucks. They'll be all new in 2 years as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts

And GM will continue to make the truck Ford's 20 year Super Duty outsold for another 15 months..........

The T1XX 2500/3500's won't be sold in-mass until late Q3, Q4 2019.

They make Ford look like it's standing still? Really? Come on man. You have some good points sometimes, but others like this, you take the exaggerations to the extreme.

Again, I would hope that the truck that's all new just revealed a few days ago (and a month ago for the Ram) would leapfrog the truck that dates back to a 2015 full redesign and 2018 refresh.

If there's one segment where Ford is never "standing still", it's the trucks. They'll be all new in 2 years as well.
Silao, where all the 1/2 ton Crew-Cabs come out of, doesn't start making T1XX's until the 3rd week of December, it's easily a year from today before GM starts selling a lot the the T1XX's (Crew Cab) we saw at the NAIAS 2 months ago (and Sierra last week).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Assimilator your way off on the ride quality. It’s clear you have not driven a 2018 F150. In all of the reviews the 2018 F150 comes out on top and, Car and Driver clearly stated that the 2018 F150 is the best compromise in ride. Chevy is dead last in ride quality. My diehard GM friend bought a GMC Z71 and that has to be the roughest riding truck I have ever been in period. Ford has had more advance technology in their trucks that the other two are just getting around too. With automatic braking to name just one thing. When talking the safest Truck, the Ford is the only one to past the insurance highway safety institute test. The Chevy and Dodge both failed the IHSI test. Now Ford has the upper hand in large SUV's with the new NAVI and Expedition beating the GM twins in all the test. Its Dodge and Chevy that needed to catch up and they are still behind. Will not know how these new 2019 GM and Dodges pan out for a few months and Ford's 2019 is not out yet either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Assimilator your way off on the ride quality. It’s clear you have not driven a 2018 F150. In all of the reviews the 2018 F150 comes out on top and, Car and Driver clearly stated that the 2018 F150 is the best compromise in ride. Chevy is dead last in ride quality. My diehard GM friend bought a GMC Z71 and that has to be the roughest riding truck I have ever been in period. Ford has had more advance technology in their trucks that the other two are just getting around too. With automatic braking to name just one thing. When talking the safest Truck, the Ford is the only one to past the insurance highway safety institute test. The Chevy and Dodge both failed the IHSI test. Now Ford has the upper hand in large SUV's with the new NAVI and Expedition beating the GM twins in all the test. Its Dodge and Chevy that needed to catch up and they are still behind. Will not know how these new 2019 GM and Dodges pan out for a few months and Ford's 2019 is not out yet either.
I can't speak for the 2018 changes in the frame and steering, but he is dead on for the 15-17 models. I do think at the moment they are the best trucks out there......especially safety wise......but there were corners cut in going to the aluminum trucks....or at least it feels like it. I've always wondered why more though wasn't put into the beds of trucks.....now it looks like it will be happening. If you use your truck as a truck, the new tailgate system on the GMC can be useful.....of course we don't know until we see it in action......but there is much room for improvement there over a step. The new trucks will surely put some pressure on Ford.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I can see where this tailgate could be useful, but the more moving parts, the more likely something will bend, break, or get clogged with debris.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts