Ford Inside News banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A brief recap of what Ford announced at today's Go Further event in Amsterdam.
www.FordInsideNews.com
September 6, 2012
By: Nick Saporito, Austin Rutherford

Today has been jam-packed with news from the Blue Oval, particularly in Europe. Back in June Ford hosted a 'Go Further' event in the United States for the media, outlining the company's direction and vision for the future. Today they hosted a similar event at Ford of Europe in Amsterdam, where they outlined the next 16 months of new products for Ford's European market and showcased the strongest proof yet of their commitment to having 'One Ford'.

Hit up the below links to make sure you did not miss any of the details from the busy news day and get a snippet of what the news out of Europe means for Ford's North American lineup.

2014 Ford Fiesta Released
What FIN Says: Expect to see this same new Fiesta front-clip in North America sometime next year.​

Ford Reveals All-New Global Transit, Transit Connect
What FIN Says: The new Transit and Transit Connect will both end up on the U.S. market, with the Transit replacing the aging E-Series.​

Ford Mustang, Edge, EcoSport Coming to Europe
What FIN Says: There isn't much for North America out of this piece - Europe is getting two of Ford North America's bests.​

Ford Confirms, Reveals Transit Courier
What FIN Says: Don't expect to see this fourth Transit model in North America. It's small - based on the Fiesta platform.​

New Mondeo Wagon Shown

What FIN Says: This is basically a wagon version of the sexy 2013 Fusion. Unfortunately, there's no sign that this 5-door goodness will be coming to North America anytime soon.​

FIN's Amsterdam 'Go Further' Photo Gallery

After seeing so many new products, perhaps it was most perplexing what was not shown at the "Go Further" event. Many products that are due for refurbishing in the time frame were absent during the show.

Notable among the absent reveals were the next generation S-Max and Galaxy. The last time the Mondeo launched, these mid-sized MPVs launched around the same time. Where were they? We know the next S-Max will share its platform with the next Edge and MkX as all three will be on the CD4.2 platform. The Galaxy has been rumored to be growing in size to compete with bigger vans like the new Lancia Voyager.

The biggest question of all is the fate of the next Ka. Believed to have been previewed by the Start Concept, it was remarkably not shown. Instead, Mulally said to the effect that the Ka will still be engineered with Fiat past the middle of the decade! Why, in a time where Ford of Europe's plant capacity is at 63%, would they give production to Fiat instead of lifting up their own capacity? Meanwhile, VW Group is taking the city car market by storm with its VW/SEAT/Skoda triplets. If Ford wants to be a major player in the future European market, it needs a solid list of A-segment vehicles. Being held hostage by Fiat is not likely a viable solution. Ford not only needs a new Ka, but also an MPV and CUV based of an a-segment platform to compete with planned VW models.

Now of course, Ford could be holding back to save something interesting for their future European product plans. That being said, we hope to see the vehicles that were not part of today's event in the future. All-in-all, it was a remarkable day for Ford of Europe, and shows how Ford has learned from the North American crisis, and how they are applying it to the European debt crisis.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Re: Go Further Recap: What Was Reveal, What Wasn't

LED DRL on a Fiesta but not on a new Fusion - there should be a law!

·
Registered
30 Posts

I don't think the real surprise here is the lack of an S Max debut given the fact that this vehicle is part of CD4.2, but rather how closely together the CD4.1, CD4.2, and CD4.3 programs seem to be with regard to timeline. In each case we're barely going to find time to breath before the next wave of product hits. Truly impressive.

Ka, on the other hand, was a surprise.

Also impressive is just how solid and up to date the information you guys are getting in an era where tight lipped doesn't even begin to describe Ford. Genuinely great work.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Couple other biggies IMO that your report does not mention are
Mondeo Hybrid, & Mondeo diesel combined with AWD.

The EcoSport interior is not as high quality as the Fiesta, and was mentioned by a couple journalists at the show that this weakness will not be changed for the Euro market. And was compared to the new very low rent and priced Dacia Duster.
I do think this will be an issue for the large EU markets, but for Russia and eastern EU markets this will be a plus for Ford as long as the EcoSport price matches its economy interior.

Funny in the Q/A session at the end of the event, with a couple asking about the A segment Ka future plans, and Ford`s obvious uncomfortable reaction to this line of questions. Gave me the impression that they were caught off guard and had to do some quick
thinking on how to answer. With Mulally moving the conversation to B segment and its importance, almost like he is not familiar with this city size A segment market

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Funny in the Q/A session at the end of the event, with a couple asking about the A segment Ka future plans, and Ford`s obvious uncomfortable reaction to this line of questions. Gave me the impression that they were caught off guard and had to do some quick
thinking on how to answer. With Mulally moving the conversation to B segment and its importance, almost like he is not familiar with this city size A segment market
I'm not terribly surprised by Ford's lack of A-class plans. Growth of the segment worldwide is erratic and forecasts for it's growth are all over the place (despite what is believed).

The fact that Europe's carbon tax is based on displacement size also does not bode well for a-class vehicles. Ford has perfected small displacement for larger vehicles.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I'm not terribly surprised by Ford's lack of A-class plans. Growth of the segment worldwide is erratic and forecasts for it's growth are all over the place (despite what is believed).

The fact that Europe's carbon tax is based on displacement size also does not bode well for a-class vehicles. Ford has perfected small displacement for larger vehicles.
There has definitely been a lack of emphasis at Ford since the Start show car made the rounds with regard to A segment vehicles, that Ford has now basically confirmed by proxy that they indeed don't see the segment as deserving of emphasis right now doesn't surprise me at all. On the other hand, Ford has been pretty quick to get out of bed with most every rival automaker of late outside of those partnerships that are truly strategic in their importance. (like Chinese market tie ins) I suspected Start and the production car that pointed toward were as much a move to break production ties with Fiat as anything else, but it looks like the fact is that Ford isn't isn't in as big a hurry to break away from their A segment joint venture with Fiat as I thought. Either that or Ford really, really isn't placing any emphasis on future A segment plans in which case one has to wonder if there will be a Ka replacement at all, or at least a replacement that is a Ka as we now know it.

This really makes me wonder if the recent plans Ford announced to chase entry level cars for the third world and emerging markets might see a less expensive and more fundamental car than the Fiesta, but still B segment in size, take the place of the Ka in the global market. That would solve the question of how Ford plans to keep the lineup structure clean and simple and still service this market without creating another brand. Just a thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Fusion wagon looks soo good. Would people really NOT but it? I suspect its a cabalization concern for the Escape no doubt

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

nsap said:
I'm not terribly surprised by Ford's lack of A-class plans...
...This really makes me wonder if the recent plans Ford announced to chase entry level cars for the third world and emerging markets might see a less expensive and more fundamental car than the Fiesta, but still B segment in size, take the place of the Ka in the global market. That would solve the question of how Ford plans to keep the lineup structure clean and simple and still service this market without creating another brand. Just a thought.
like someone was listening to you guys^...

Ford mulls low-cost subcompact, Mulally says - AutomotiveNews
Luca Ciferri
September 9, 2012

AMSTERDAM -- Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally says the automaker is considering adding a low-cost Fiesta-based subcompact to sell globally...

..."We are looking around the world at opportunities to offer a car priced below the Fiesta," Mulally told Automotive News Europe on the sidelines of a company event last week.

The CEO said that the so-called "value B" model would be the same size as the Fiesta but cost less than Ford's top-selling model in Europe...

...Despite its interest in making a low-cost B-segment car, Mulally said Ford is not planning to create a separate brand to rival Dacia. "The eventual model will bear the Blue Oval," he said...

..."We do not have a firm plan at the moment** [for a global sub-B model], but clearly being competitive in every market segment is important," Mulally said...

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120909/COPY01/309099999#ixzz25zzHyryL

** ibid or something like that

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
UK based What Car First impressions of car's interiors - New Ford Ecosport, Fiesta and Mondeo models.

Ford wheeled out a string of new products in Amsterdam, and allowed enough access for early impressions on the cabins of the revised Fiesta, the all-new Mondeo and the new small SUV, the Ecosport.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/ins...whatcar+(What+Car?+News)&utm_content=Netvibes

Their comments about the new Mondeo's delayed release reflect my concerns from what I can garner from the new Fusion interior images.
My first thoughts when I first seen the new Fusions interior was that it would not meet expectations of current Mondeo owners.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ Thanks for posting that, MKII

but
this:
Inside the 2013 Ford Mondeo
Ford showed the greatest reluctance to allow access to the new Mondeo's cabin - a reflection, perhaps, of how early the cars on display were. Even Ford sources admit that the 'quality issues' have pushed this car's on-sale date back to the end of 2013. Still, we managed to sneak inside a Mondeo hybrid and while the finish was undoubtedly 'very early car' the basic layout felt sorted.

Ford Mondeo Estate review
The front cabin feels slightly more spacious than before, with a compact electronic parking brake switch instead of the old handbrake. The centre storage area between the two seats feels encouragingly large.

The large central screen is well positioned for viewing without taking your eyes far from the road, and as suspected, the Sony stereo and ventilation controls are flush and touch sensitive. We only hope the set-up works better than it does on the Chevrolet Volt - although of course, Ford's Sync will offer voice commands to control much of the infotainment anyway.

The rear cabin has enough legroom for six-footers to sit behind six-footers, although if they are any taller than that then the more dramatic roofline may give them headroom worries.
doesn't sound like they dissed anything but rear headroom
(not that I have any idea WHY the Mondeo has a big delay)

Why do YOU feel "it would not meet expectations of current Mondeo owners"?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Materials used on the door cards, leather covered steering wheel. seats, metal trim bits. Just in general looks like a downgrade compared
to the current Mondeo. Also with such a premium styled exterior, for me the interior is a let down.
I know a couple of new Mondeo owners that are happy they bought the current Mondeo just because the new Mondeo interior gave them the same impression that I am getting.
The MyFord Touch IP design is something that is getting lots of positives, and overall dash execution.
And for the new Mondeo exterior is getting lots of good comments, even in the German car forums and even more surprising in the Dutch car forums. But I do think Ford Europe is going to have to dress up the quality of the interior to compete over here.

But I really don't think it is an issue as this car is much more important for the North American market, in the sense that the midsize segment in USA is huge in comparison to Europe.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The Fiesta is a car with A LOT of potential.....

Hi 2b2, after a long time away, I am finally making it back. PM me to get filled in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts