Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, looking around the Mustang discussion board, and with the GT500 launching as we speak.....I don't even see any recent threads on it. Very little interest on a barely visited site any longer means I will barely bother to add anything.

In fact, I won't even add the link. It's out there. Google it.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I´m bored... i will put all that information here... Maybe all the others guys are busy reading about the new Chevy Ferrari >:)

Mustang Shelby GT 500:

5,2 lt V8 engine with cross-plane crankshaft, a 2,65 lt roots supercharger with air-to-liquid intercooler located between the blower and the engine.

760 Hp, 625 lb-ft of torque
Tremec dual clutch 7-speed automatic transmision
The biggest front wheels brakes in an american coupe: 16,5 inch rotors
Optional carbon fiber wheels
0 to 62 mph in 3,5 sec
Quarter mile under 11 sec
0-100-0 mph in 10,6 sec
74000$ (before dealer abusive overpricing... :grin2:)

.... and being that beautiful, who would want a Ferrari by Chevy?

P.S.: because I see it coming, to those who come to write that a Tesla model 3 accelerates faster than this car, I tell you at once that I am not interested. I like real cars, not electric refrigerators on wheels that can accelerate fast. :x

·
Registered
546 Posts
I´m bored... i will put all that information here... Maybe all the others guys are busy reading about the new Chevy Ferrari /forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

Mustang Shelby GT 500:

5,2 lt V8 engine with cross-plane crankshaft, a 2,65 lt roots supercharger with air-to-liquid intercooler located between the blower and the engine.

760 Hp, 625 lb-ft of torque
Tremec dual clutch 7-speed automatic transmision
The biggest front wheels brakes in an american coupe: 16,5 inch rotors
Optional carbon fiber wheels
0 to 62 mph in 3,5 sec
Quarter mile under 11 sec
0-100-0 mph in 10,6 sec
74000$ (before dealer abusive overpricing... /forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png)

.... and being that beautiful, who would want a Ferrari by Chevy?

P.S.: because I see it coming, to those who come to write that a Tesla model 3 accelerates faster than this car, I tell you at once that I am not interested. I like real cars, not electric refrigerators on wheels that can accelerate fast. /forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_kiss.png
...personally, I’d love to have one. GT500s have always been my dream car. That said, a 5 seat Model S with a giant hatch does 0-100-0 .4 seconds faster than this bad boy. Makes you realize how futile it is to withstand the coming tide.

God, if Tesla had the money, they could make a Roadster-looking coupe on the 3 platform that would roll the GT500 on the street...but couldn’t hold a candle to it on the track. ICE will own the tracks and trucks for a while longer, but the change is inevitable.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
P.S.: because I see it coming, to those who come to write that a Tesla model 3 accelerates faster than this car, I tell you at once that I am not interested. I like real cars, not electric refrigerators on wheels that can accelerate fast. :x
When your refrigerator is faster than your $70K sports car you should be impressed, or depressed.

·
Registered
620 Posts
When your refrigerator is faster than your $70K sports car you should be impressed, or depressed.
Eh...maybe "quicker" but not really "faster", as various tests show. That electric motor will run out of top end...and at that point, the power consumption will obliterate the range even more than the higher fuel use of the GT500 at high speeds.

It's kinda reminding me of a buddy who built his old F-150 up with really aggressive gearing and mods to the 300-6 it had. The truck was amazing...for the stoplight grand prix. Also, if you put your foot in it, you could watch the gas needle heading for E.

That's kinda how I see "performance EVs" right now. The tech is impressive, but the entire field needs the next battery breakthrough to really be a feasible replacement for ICE vehicles (to which, I'm sure, AOC is loudly opposed).

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Eh...maybe "quicker" but not really "faster", as various tests show. That electric motor will run out of top end...and at that point, the power consumption will obliterate the range even more than the higher fuel use of the GT500 at high speeds.

It's kinda reminding me of a buddy who built his old F-150 up with really aggressive gearing and mods to the 300-6 it had. The truck was amazing...for the stoplight grand prix. Also, if you put your foot in it, you could watch the gas needle heading for E.

That's kinda how I see "performance EVs" right now. The tech is impressive, but the entire field needs the next battery breakthrough to really be a feasible replacement for ICE vehicles (to which, I'm sure, AOC is loudly opposed).

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
...not necessarily. EVs aren’t faster top end because they are single speed transmissions. The new Taycan has a 2-spd and Getrag just introduced a 2-spd EV motor. All of that is coming as tech improves. There was only 1 real EV company doing any real R&D for nearly a decade and a half. Now that everyone is getting in the game, expect improvements at a faster pace.

That said, the Tesla will also go 345mi on the equivalent of 3gal of gas when it isn’t being rung out, 115mpge vs. 15mpg... and that is why it is the future.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Impressive numbers from GT500. I sense this will be the last of it's kind, ever from Ford.
I was thinking the same thing back in the 80's.

I would love to see Ford offer this as an appearance package on the standard Mustang GT, or maybe as a special edition Mustang. Keep it around $42K or so, and it will sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm among those awaiting the reviews/impressions. While I expect it to be amazing, it's a bigger class of car than the 'Vette, so those comparisons have never been apples-apples.

Reactions: germeezy1

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The conundrum now is for your approximately $75k outlay does one go with a GT350R track weapon or does one entrust the investment on behalf of the thrills of the GT500 base?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting...so one needs a GT500 to be on pair with the new Toyota Supra...

Super cool review from C&D: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a28783877/2020-toyota-supra-vs-2019-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350/

Somehow a 335hp Supra beat a 526hp Mustang GT350 0-60...crazy hey?!
You sound like a novice. You probably are considering how narrrow your view is.

Look at the whole picture.
Weight, torque delivery, gearing, and type of gearboxes, to understand why the Shelby is not only slower to 60 than the Supra but also slower than a few other modern hot 4s and 6s that are also cheaper.

For engagement, overall performance, enjoyment and desirability not many come close, regardless of price.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The conundrum now is for your approximately $75k outlay does one go with a GT350R track weapon or does one entrust the investment on behalf of the thrills of the GT500 base?
760hp + DCT driven hard would be surreal. The soundtrack alone (on both) would make either of these enjoyable even if driven by your gran.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Weight, torque delivery, gearing, and type of gearboxes, to understand why the Shelby is not only slower to 60 than the Supra but also slower than a few other modern hot 4s and 6s that are also cheaper.

For engagement, overall performance, enjoyment and desirability not many come close, regardless of price.
You forgot aero.
The Supra is a low slung 2 seat sportscar with more Torque than the tallish Mustang. It's not even a good comparison.

And a Shelby will easily retain it's higher price over time, as it continues to turn heads, that nobody seems to care about the Supra.

·
Registered
546 Posts

You forgot aero.
The Supra is a low slung 2 seat sportscar with more Torque than the tallish Mustang. It's not even a good comparison.

And a Shelby will easily retain it's higher price over time, as it continues to turn heads, that nobody seems to care about the Supra.
...the Supra will never be fast enough to outrun its grotesque visage. No brainer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting...so one needs a GT500 to be on pair with the new Toyota Supra...

Super cool review from C&D: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a28783877/2020-toyota-supra-vs-2019-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350/

Somehow a 335hp Supra beat a 526hp Mustang GT350 0-60...crazy hey?!

I am thinking practical, since I can’t drive 140mph every day lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts