Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Model E "family" of vehicles?. This is the first time i read something like that. Will be more than one EV vehicle from Ford? I is confirmed?
Ford confirmed the electric crossover at NAIAS, but also the powerpack for that is said to be used across a few vehicles. Someone recently provided some further info on that, but I don't remember where.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It's hard to top a Lexus driving former Boeing exec. who knows NOTHING about cars, coming in to run Ford, with regards to story.
Fields was like every other exec that simply focused on product, rather than making himself the news.
Mulally was not just some exec though, he was an engineer at Boeing, he knows both sides of the business.
One thing I want to stress, Mulally made Ford a true global brand, the improvements he did were felt around the world.

Mark Fields' plans and actions seemed much more isolated.

Here in Asia, Ford's lineup is still made up of Alan Mulally-era vehicles, in other words nothing new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also noticed that Toyota has recently announced breakthroughs in solid state battery design and internal combustion engine efficiency. Mazda has developed a compression ignition gasoline engine. Meanwhile what is Ford doing? 5.4% net as compared to GM's 10%.

I believe we are going to need more than a furniture guy. We are not developing anything new. We use aluminum to save weight and 10 speeds but our MPGs barely move. We are not as good as our competition in light-weighting.

We need more and better car guys and engineers.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Model E "family" of vehicles?. This is the first time i read something like that. Will be more than one EV vehicle from Ford? I is confirmed?
the Model(s) E are the reason Ford fought Tesla for the rights to that name,
making Tesla settle for Model 3 (a backwards E)(very "L337" :nerd: )

otoh
with much of Yurpland outlawing petrol vehicles, eventually most models from all Mfgs will be electrifried

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
We need more and better car guys and engineers.
Ford needs better management. It is management that forces the engineers to keep modifying, modifying, modifying decades-old heavy, auto platforms.

Can anyone justify that this is the year 2017 and Ford has yet to offer AWD on the only RWD automobile platform that they have? Can anyone justify that this platform is available for only one model?

These facts are not the engineers' fault. The car guys and engineers are there (they produced the Ford GT) but they are underutilized.

Management is why Ford and Lincoln don't create any buzz in their showrooms. OK, most car buyers aren't shopping for buzz (Mercedes & BMW shoppers are) but Ford/Lincoln seems to be betting that its shoppers don't want to be associated with it. Management seems to be uninterested in attracting new shoppers from other brands.

And then they put a cabinet-maker in charge. Big jump from Fortune 718 to Fortune 10.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Ford needs better management. It is management that forces the engineers to keep modifying, modifying, modifying decades-old heavy, auto platforms.

Can anyone justify that this is the year 2017 and Ford has yet to offer AWD on the only RWD automobile platform that they have? Can anyone justify that this platform is available for only one model?

These facts are not the engineers' fault. The car guys and engineers are there (they produced the Ford GT) but they are underutilized.

Management is why Ford and Lincoln don't create any buzz in their showrooms. OK, most car buyers aren't shopping for buzz (Mercedes & BMW shoppers are) but Ford/Lincoln seems to be betting that its shoppers don't want to be associated with it. Management seems to be uninterested in attracting new shoppers from other brands.

And then they put a cabinet-maker in charge. Big jump from Fortune 718 to Fortune 10.
I agree with your words, but regarding lack of AWD on one vehicle......there are many brands that don't offer AWD on all or most of their cars.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

All of the problems Ford has product-wise, and that's the one you're most concerned about?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Actually there's 2. You forgot the E-Series chassis which is RWD only. :-(

But you're referring to the Mustang and Camaro doesn't offer AWD either. Challenger just got AWD last year but only in V6 form.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Camaro is on a AWD platform but still does not offer the tech. Most Chevy platforms are capable of AWD but still don't offer it.

Mustang obviously can't go AWD unless the next platform is designed for it, and the question remains if going AWD will convert any northern climate shoppers.

Ford currently doesn't have an AWD system for a RWD car platform so unlike FCA and GM, they'd have to invest some big bucks to develop that tech for what might be fairly low volume...unless CD6 is a thing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Actually there's 2. You forgot the E-Series chassis which is RWD only. :-(
I did specifically write RWD automobile platform.

But you're referring to the Mustang and Camaro doesn't offer AWD either. Challenger just got AWD last year but only in V6 form.
You're making my point. The Camaro is built on the same platform as the ATS which does offer AWD. Theoretically, the Camaro could offer AWD; GM probably choses not to do so at this time. Both the Challenger and the Camaro shares its platform with other models and both GM and FCA have more than one RWD automobile platform. Thank you, Andrew.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree with your words, but regarding lack of AWD on one vehicle......there are many brands that don't offer AWD on all or most of their cars.
True but the fact that the platform I refer to is the only RWD automobile platform the company has and that it is reserved for only one model is the important fact that you're choosing to overlook.

·
Registered
866 Posts
All of the problems Ford has product-wise, and that's the one you're most concerned about?
Yep. Because I'm not in the market for any FWD-based car and I'm not interested in trucks. Also, using a platform for one model only puts paid to the idea of economy-of-scale.

Ford could have (imho, should have) allowed Lincoln a 4-door sports/luxury sedan built on the Mustang's platform. That would have given Lincoln at least one car in its inventory that Ford does not have in its inventory.

I am not alone in believing that this would have been a surprise hit for Lincoln and something that would attract other than "Lincoln customers" (like me) into Lincoln showrooms. My perhaps faulty understanding is that the newly formed Lincoln teams wanted to do it but were denied by Ford management.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
True but the fact that the platform I refer to is the only RWD automobile platform the company has and that it is reserved for only one model is the important fact that you're choosing to overlook.
LOL, if that was your point in the first place, then why did you not just say that?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I did specifically write RWD automobile platform.

You're making my point. The Camaro is built on the same platform as the ATS which does offer AWD. Theoretically, the Camaro could offer AWD; GM probably choses not to do so at this time. Both the Challenger and the Camaro shares its platform with other models and both GM and FCA have more than one RWD automobile platform. Thank you, Andrew.
Mustang outsells Camaro and EVERY SINGLE CADILLAC SEDAN COMBINED.

So, about that economy of scale you are so concerned about......

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Can anyone justify that this is the year 2017 and Ford has yet to offer AWD on the only RWD automobile platform that they have?...
yeah-imho
cuz Awd has been (and STILL IS, just barely) non-essential, therefore Luxury,
& as some of us lament,
they have not yet used the Stangineering for a Lux model

...Can anyone justify that this platform is available for only one model?...
no
explain: yes // justify: definitely no

...Ford could have (imho, should have) allowed Lincoln a 4-door sports/luxury sedan built on the Mustang's platform. That would have given Lincoln at least one car in its inventory that Ford does not have in its inventory.

I am not alone in believing that this would have been a surprise hit for Lincoln and something that would attract other than "Lincoln customers" (like me) into Lincoln showrooms. My perhaps faulty understanding is that the newly formed Lincoln teams wanted to do it but were denied by Ford management.
by *my*count* FLincmoco has been actively working on a STARstang sportsedan for maybe/close to 10 years = 3 generations of prototypes
but
I could only guess at what's keeping this in limbo (tho, many reasons imho)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Mustang obviously can't go AWD unless the next platform is designed for it, and the question remains if going AWD will convert any northern climate shoppers.

Ford currently doesn't have an AWD system for a RWD car platform so unlike FCA and GM, they'd have to invest some big bucks to develop that tech for what might be fairly low volume...unless CD6 is a thing.
electrifried VirtualAWD = no need for pretzel-driveshafts
put e-motors on the pair of wheels Not driven by petrol

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Yep. Because I'm not in the market for any FWD-based car and I'm not interested in trucks. Also, using a platform for one model only puts paid to the idea of economy-of-scale.

Ford could have (imho, should have) allowed Lincoln a 4-door sports/luxury sedan built on the Mustang's platform. That would have given Lincoln at least one car in its inventory that Ford does not have in its inventory.

Mustang's platform can't handle being made into a sedan. That's been said countless times.

Reactions: ehaase

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts

I remember with the launch of the current 'new' Mustang, that a Lincoln exec stated he wanted the Mustang platform for Lincoln. Whether it's for a coupe or a sedan, it should really not be an issue that makes it impossible for the 107.1-inch wheelbase Mustang platform to be modified for a sedan(new top hat and two more doors). Which is just 1.6 inches shorter than the current 3-series sedan platform. I wonder if it just was not done because of Lincoln's very slow/timid product launch plan.

Rear seats could even be pushed back a bit that are currently in place due to the low roof line of Mustang design. Point being is that there could have been a sedan based on the Mustang platform, but Ford just decided not to do it and next gen MKZ had better be a RWD sports sedan competing directly with C-Class and 3-Series.

41 - 60 of 182 Posts