Ford Inside News banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...C-Max wagon was not really a replacement for the Escape Hybrid CUV, but to compete with the new larger Prius V wagon in its same class. C-Max actually does well in the rest of the world as a petrol/diesel vehicle, along with the Energi model being imported to China and sold to fleet buyers(it's that number of 'OTHER' under imports on the Ford Export sales sheet...
wondering if the current China-bound C-maxes could be un-extended dumping...
...when does their mileage^minimum go into effect?? @Bloggin

...This is why I say there will be a new lighter(sharing much of the new Focus platform) more aerodynamic, more fuel efficient C-Max Hybrid, Energi and Full EV model(similar to what Hyundai is doing) coming with its code name being Model E internally. I doubt that Ford would actually try and market an electric vehicle with the name Model E when the #1 selling EV Global brand has Model S, Model 3, Model X and upcoming Model Y. That would really be in bad taste on Ford's part.

The Focus EV is another interesting one. With Ford finally going in house with its battery packs and drivetrain, a Focus EV can now be sold in volume levels. And just like the Fusion/Mondeo, I believe that Ford will do the ICE, Hybrid, PHEV, and EV or ICE, PHEV, EV for C-Max(the small electric cuv with 300 miles of range) and Focus, with PHEV coming for Escape/MKC, Edge/MKX, Explorer/Aviator, Expedition/Navigator. I think going forward, just hybrid itself won't do...it has to have a plug and 31 EV miles of range that China requires.
Lately, I've gotten the feeling that along with B-Max (trademark rumor), C-Max the Nomenclature might not be leaving along with the euro-hand-me-down MPV that bore it.
Which,
raises (for me) the question of the Model-E being labelled E-Max other than in adverts
&
thus a D-Max would not be out of the question either, imho.

My guess is that they will all be ultra-aero Cuvs, to:
• get away from sedan backlash
• offer better packaging-volume
• prevent Cuv-penalty eMpg-loss
tho
imho, IF the spacepod-Look of the 80-90's resurfaces (LUCID et al.), only the first Mfg to make that impression will 'get-away' with it & for only 1-&-a-half generations
(unless the mobility supporters take our vehicles away from the former middle class,
as my paranoia insists is the 1%ers fiendish plan)

- - - - - - -
Yes but could you imagine the ego on Ford brass if they had committed to Ranger, Explorer and Full sized Utilities like they did with F150 and Super Duty. Man, there would be no living with them because they would be making a fortune more than now with even less regard for the future.
At least this way, the brass know just how vulnerable the company is.
...Previously I thought Ford had an uncanny ability to see the future but they obviously quit...
back in post-2006 (mortgage-time) I decided Fomoco cornered the market on
• Karma (the good kind)
• Genius &or
• LUCK
maybe it was Luck?!?
...Obviously Fields was not part of that plan...
...they are sitting on a mountain of cash in preparation to make it all happen...
so (AFAIK) Mark Fields served his ^function^
...an era of leadership...
...innovation like Hybrids, EcoBoost, Sync/MyFord pre< [Mulally Era iirc] >post Aluminum trucks...
...(not sure about the timing of) a laundry list of niceties from the kick lift gate, capless fuel filler doors, adaptive cruise, automated parking features, and much much more...

...Now we are left with a Ford that has suddenly stopped dead in its tracks in every possible way...
I'll freely admit to favoring a wait-&-see approach last November -- still not convinced it's completely wrong
...one of the reasons I find the EcoSport so annoying, a severely compromised and uncompetitive product despite the fact that they are LAST in market...
"The EcoSport reminds me of" the C-Max = euro-Ugly ...face-lift did help a Little
:-(

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...What makes matters worse is that Ford released a video of their engineer talking about how the Fusion Energi was not even planned, but an afterthought. Someone said, 'what if we..." and they did it. Which indicates back in 2012 Ford had no plug-in Energi plan at all...
prolley cuz I believe more invention is Discovery than even perspiration let alone planned-development,
that "WHAT IF" actually gives me Hope :nerd:
tho the LACK of a mkZENergi might take it away again

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^...yeah....I think Ford will use the MAX brand name for a series of electrified vehicles, with a next gen C-Max as part of the plan. But not the boxy version we see today, but more sleek and sporty CUV type vehicles.

B-Max: sub compact EV (small 200+ mile cuv EV) - city car
C-Max: Compact PHEV + 200+ mile EV - wider market compact
E-Max: Midsize EV - commuter 300+ mile CUV

Take this S-Max Concept with it's lower sleek, clean, modern lines and expand that to three size models........that would be HOT!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ :thumb: had to rumage thru Mission2020...
old rendering found on the web, c.2004

- "spute"
- sportbrake, ref: Cadillac chop
Volvo Cars to go all electric - Jul 05, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eIaTikUXvQ
More... plus a longer video
was daydreaming about my ideal car and somehow started wondering what a C-Max would look like if it was re-skinned with the Macan? ...very rough&quick
...comtemplating a(nother) To Do List for FLincMoCo...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
dunno why they didn't post this on FB earlier...

Ford CEO Shares Vision With UAW Before Wall Street Gets a Look at the Goods
TTAC
- Matt Posky - September 8, 2017

Prior to outlining Ford Motor Company’s new strategy to financial analysts and corporate investors, CEO Jim Hackett wants to check-in with leadership from the United Automobile Workers. Hackett has been undertaking a summer-long assessment of the company’s current status and action points — established during Mark Fields’ executive tenure — with a mind to reevaluate the status quo.

However, before he announces his new vision for the company to Wall Street, Hackett is giving the UAW a peek. Jimmy Settles, the head of the union’s Ford department, called the move an important signal that the current boss is interested in putting workers first and starting things off on the right foot.

“Normally, it’s the other way around, if it happens at all,” Settles explained to Bloomberg on Wednesday. “Then people know that I care about you. You’re hearing it from me. You don’t have to hear about it from the media.”

Despite Ford having made plans to lay off roughly 10 percent of its workforce last month, Settles and UAW President Dennis Williams seemed pleased that Hackett had indicated no loss in union employment.

“He said, ‘Look here, my review is not to see how many heads I can cut.’ He made that perfectly clear,” Settles said of a recent meeting with Hackett. “He’s looking for innovation. We talked about upscaling. The jobs of today may not be the jobs of tomorrow, but let’s talk about that in advance.”

Hackett is expected to elaborate on Ford’s intention to accelerate the development of autonomous vehicles and boost the company’s sagging stock in a meeting with analysts and investors in New York next month. Settles says Hackett should be sharing some of those details with the UAW first — perhaps not everything but enough to give them a sense of what is to come.

“I hope he outlines the vision, the long-term vision,” Settles said. “Our members want to hear that. People want to feel secure.”

Ford’s share price fell 37 percent during Fields’s three years at the helm. It was the primary reason Hackett was tapped to replace him. As the former CEO of office furniture maker Steelcase Inc., he’s still getting accustomed to the automotive landscape but Settles indicated he wasn’t worried about his background.

“Hackett is obviously not a car man, but he knows manufacturing and seems to be very, very innovative,” he explained. “It seems when Bill Ford personally goes out and picks people, they seem to be the right people.”

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
“He said, ‘Look here, my review is not to see how many heads I can cut.’ He made that perfectly clear,” Settles said of a recent meeting with Hackett. “He’s looking for innovation. We talked about upscaling. The jobs of today may not be the jobs of tomorrow, but let’s talk about that in advance.”

That is the big take away from that article. Because it speaks NOTHING about autonomous vehicles or PHEVs, but of pure electric vehicles, that are much simpler to manufacture, with thousands of fewer parts, requiring fewer people to build them. But it does open new jobs in battery manufacturing, battery pack building, and building new electric motors and other electric components. More plug and play manufacturing.

VW's CEO did the same with its workers who were freaking out, to help them understand that many of the traditional combustion engine related jobs are going away, but new jobs in EV technology will take its place which will require retraining of current workers for more high tech positions. And Ford is expected to be following right in VW Group's foot steps but with more high tech jobs in the US, Europe, and China.

Volkswagen plans 30,000 job cuts, shift to electric cars

The plan calls for fewer employees and more high-tech factory jobs in Germany.
https://www.upi.com/Business_News/2016/11/18/Volkswagen-plans-30000-job-cuts-shift-to-electric-cars/5621479471752/

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
If there is one thing Ford is really good at, it's engine development and modular power pack systems that are compatible with all of their cars so they can scale and tailor at a global level. That likely applies to their next Hybrid systems which have to bolt-in like an engine and not be an integrated system dependent on the platform, but ideally they are likely developing new platforms for battery packs which takes longer.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
^...yeah....I think Ford will use the MAX brand name for a series of electrified vehicles, with a next gen C-Max as part of the plan. But not the boxy version we see today, but more sleek and sporty CUV type vehicles.

B-Max: sub compact EV (small 200+ mile cuv EV) - city car
C-Max: Compact PHEV + 200+ mile EV - wider market compact
E-Max: Midsize EV - commuter 300+ mile CUV

Take this S-Max Concept with it's lower sleek, clean, modern lines and expand that to three size models........that would be HOT!

All that is is an exaggerated sketch of the current S-Max.

Reactions: falcon lover

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
The Max nomenclature specifically refers to Europe's MPV-stype products, I'm pretty sure they plan to phase them out. That's very much a fading area of the market, they already dropped the B-Max. The Crossover is consuming all things from wagons to MPVs, to minivans and sedans, the convergence is really happening globally now.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The Max nomenclature specifically refers to Europe's MPV-stype products, I'm pretty sure they plan to phase them out. That's very much a fading area of the market, they already dropped the B-Max. The Crossover is consuming all things from wagons to MPVs, to minivans and sedans, the convergence is really happening globally now.
I think it was the B Max patent in the US that stirred the rumors about more MAX in the US, along with the current B Max ending production as we know it in Europe. But then again, we did just get the Expedition MAX in the US. And Ford does like to do things in groups or name things the same. Which could mean a new series/generation of Max unlike what we have today, could be on the way.

That's why I think the B-Max could be the new small/subcompact SUV EV(like the Bolt).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I think it was the B Max patent in the US that stirred the rumors about more MAX in the US, along with the current B Max ending production as we know it in Europe. But then again, we did just get the Expedition MAX in the US. And Ford does like to do things in groups or name things the same. Which could mean a new series/generation of Max unlike what we have today, could be on the way.

That's why I think the B-Max could be the new small/subcompact SUV EV(like the Bolt).
The Expedition Max was already in use in Canada all these years, I doubt there is any relation.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"At $991 million, Ford's profit was more than three times that of Tesla's. The electric carmaker's earnings, however, told a very different story than Ford."

- So I am not the only one that saw this as a big problem for Ford.

"There's no question that sedan sales have tumbled as millions of American buyers have shifted to sport-utility vehicles and crossovers. But key competitors, including GM, as well as import powerhouses Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Hyundai, are, if anything, redoubling their focus. And Stephanie Brinley, a principal analyst with IHS Markit, is skeptical of Ford's decision. "The sedan market isn't great, but it's still large and Ford simply didn't do what's necessary to compete" by letting once-strong models like the Focus and bigger Fusion go years without necessary updates, she said."

"Following the May 2017 ouster of Mark Fields, Hackett launched what was billed as an intense, 100-day deep-dive aimed at addressing Ford's problems. Yet, as 2018 rapidly comes to a close, the former CEO of furniture-maker Steelcase has offered relatively few, and often inscrutable, indications of what he has in mind, leaving not only outsiders, but insiders at all levels, trying to understand precisely what directions he wants them to move in.

"A lot of us are asking the same question," a senior Ford executive, who asked not to be identified, told CNBC. "I just have to work on rallying my troops and hope we're all moving in the same direction"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/27/ford-ceo-says-fixing-carmakers-problems-starts-with-identifying-them.html

So it's not just the consumers, investors and automotive/investor press that are confused about what Hackett's plans are, Ford's own senior management is clueless as well.

It really sounds like Hackett is blowing smoke up everywhere, and the Ford family is letting it happen.

If the Ford family lets this continue, it's not going to end well....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
THIS "The sedan market isn't great, but it's still large and Ford simply didn't do what's necessary to compete" by letting once-strong models like the Focus and bigger Fusion go years without necessary updates" I've been saying that. All of Ford's car offerings are older than dirt, with the Focus and Fiesta plagued by the DCT issues. If Ford wouldnt have let them languish for so long with such minimal updates they would be a lot more competitive. Also they are going to lose a ton of market share, but their thinking is that selling other vehicles at a higher profit margin will make up for the lost sales. Also they're banking on brand loyalty too much, that the people trading out of their Ford sedan will just go to a Ford suv/cuv.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Silence!

That's what I'm hearing on FIN since Peter DeLorenzo's latest "Moonbeam CEO" rant at AutoExtremist. He couldn't wait till his usual Monday or Tuesday deadline and published it on Saturday (2/23). I know you guys have read it.

Silence.

http://www.autoextremist.com

Remember, I'm a Ford fan at heart but even Ford apologists can't keep their heads in the sand for too long; sooner or later you have to breathe. Hackett is just a symptom of the problem. The real problem is that Ford is a family business and not an automobile manufacturing business. That means that the real problem is William Ford himself. As chairman, he is in the business of making certain that his cousins don't HAVE to have real jobs even though some of them may be taking paychecks away from others who might actually need jobs.

Bill Ford is not a car guy, he's a MBA and the company is run by bean counters. At least Porsche's kids became engineers but Bill couldn't cut it. I mean, he fired himself as CEO! You can't make this stuff up. He's ruining America's best car company. On the charts, his reign looks like a ski slope. Cutting R&D, focusing on share value and dividends, and NOT focusing on product has predictable results; the results we are seeing today. Ford would have gone the way of Studebaker if it weren't for the F-150, the only product that received any real attention and it didn't really need heavy R&D until the 21st century.

When I first started reading and posting on FIN, there was more activity on the Lincoln Discussion page than there is now on the whole site. I sense there's a reason for that. There is a malaise at Ford that is saturating the whole enterprise. I hope I'm wrong but I fear for the future of Ford as an independent company. It is a shadow of what it was before Bill Ford's reign. The new SUVs and BEV products had better be blockbusters, otherwise the Board of Directors are going to face a hard choice and Hackett won't be the target.

161 - 180 of 189 Posts