Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Reason To Consider GM
Despite its few dynamic idiosyncrasies, we feel the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 represents yet another clear example of what GM can accomplish.

It appears that the General's got some new orders. We trace the beginning of this resurgence from the 2008 Cadillac CTS right up to the 2010 Buick LaCrosse that managed to outshine a Lexus ES 350 in a recent comparison test. The mandate has changed from "Good enough is good enough" to a more courageous, "Don't just make it competitive; make it better."

From its contemporary styling and class-leading features to its competitive pricing and miserly fuel economy, the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox is the right SUV for the times, and not a minute too soon for GM.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...Id=158086?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
**** hasn't frozen over here. GM has finally begun making product that really can compete within the market.

The new Equinox, GMC Terrain, and Cadillac SRX are very well designed, capable, and efficient CUVs. Yes, they are made by the new GM...but at least Inside Line is giving a positive review and a thumbs up to an American product, and not another Toyota, Honda, Nissan CUV...thing.

What this also means is Ford now has a better target when it comes to redesigning the Escape to compete and surpass the Equinox in terms of fuel-efficiency, styling, quality and over all performance.

So...**** is still hot as ****...and the World continues to turn.

Congrats GM...nice job on this one...now, if we can just get Chrysler to pay attention here.

Stay Fabulous!
RG

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
^^^ All new products from GM are coming from old GM. The economy sank GM. We will not see a new GM vehicle until 2014.
Everything until then is still old GM.

Ford is way ahead of GM in superior products, safe for Cadillac

·
Registered
120 Posts
It may be competitive in most ways but did any of you notice the FE Edmunds managed? The FWD I4 model they tested is supposedly the 32 mpg (hwy) model that GM is shoving down our throats in their ads. So far C&D managed 18 mpg and Edmunds managed 21 mpg. Those numbers are 4 and 1 mpg BELOW the EPA city rating of 22 mpg.

I understand that these tests involve quite a bit of lead-footing around. But they also included a good bit of highway driving and those FE figures are pathetic to say the least. Edmunds also noted that to achieve that magical 32 mpg on the highway you have to push the Eco button next to the gear shifter. Well, Edmunds did not like the way the 'Nox drove when in that mode and kept it off all the time. If it's so unbearable to drive it in that mode, what's the point of having it?

·
Registered
498 Posts
It may be competitive in most ways but did any of you notice the FE Edmunds managed? The FWD I4 model they tested is supposedly the 32 mpg (hwy) model that GM is shoving down our throats in their ads. So far C&D managed 18 mpg and Edmunds managed 21 mpg. Those numbers are 4 and 1 mpg BELOW the EPA city rating of 22 mpg.

I understand that these tests involve quite a bit of lead-footing around. But they also included a good bit of highway driving and those FE figures are pathetic to say the least. Edmunds also noted that to achieve that magical 32 mpg on the highway you have to push the Eco button next to the gear shifter. Well, Edmunds did not like the way the 'Nox drove when in that mode and kept it off all the time. If it's so unbearable to drive it in that mode, what's the point of having it?
Yes, lets see, Salom, Test track, drag strip, and then say, Gee, this car does not get as good mileage as advertised.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, lets see, Salom, Test track, drag strip, and then say, Gee, this car does not get as good mileage as advertised.
I think you're missing the point. They do drive it on the highway too and typically come close to the combined mileage rating in these tests (they even say so in the article). Only this time they were way off which isn't a good thing when the main focus of all advertising materials for this thing so far has been on its FE. 21 mpg isn't quite as bad as C&Ds 18 mpg, but it's still not stellar as GM is claiming.

·
Registered
120 Posts
GM has great product at the moment. name one recent launch that is sub par
Was the Camaro not recalled before they sold 100 of them? I agree the their product is better these days, but great? I don't see it. Ford has made its product better than the competition, which has been proven in reviews and tests, but GM product is still placing mid-pack or second-fiddle at best upon release. Even when they test/review well something bad comes up. For example, their pickups tested/reviewed well when released but then miserably failed some key crash tests. Note to GM, the entire vehicle has to be done well to compete in this day and age.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Was the Camaro not recalled before they sold 100 of them? I agree the their product is better these days, but great? I don't see it. Ford has made its product better than the competition, which has been proven in reviews and tests, but GM product is still placing mid-pack or second-fiddle at best upon release. Even when they test/review well something bad comes up. For example, their pickups tested/reviewed well when released but then miserably failed some key crash tests. Note to GM, the entire vehicle has to be done well to compete in this day and age.
If you think GM has subpar products, dude, you need to make your way to a GM dealership. They have some of the best product out there.
There is nothing subpar about the Camaro, La Crosse,Malibu, CTS, etc. If anything they are above imports. The only company I think now that can claim to be on the same level is Ford, but you got to remember, they share lots of suppliers and some joint developed things like the FWD six speed.
The delay in launch for the camaro was caution, not a recall.
Just drive a comparable Accord Vs. a Malibu. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you think GM has subpar products, dude, you need to make your way to a GM dealership. They have some of the best product out there.
There is nothing subpar about the Camaro, La Crosse,Malibu, CTS, etc. If anything they are above imports. The only company I think now that can claim to be on the same level is Ford, but you got to remember, they share lots of suppliers and some joint developed things like the FWD six speed.
The delay in launch for the camaro was caution, not a recall.
Just drive a comparable Accord Vs. a Malibu. Tell me what you think.
Compared to the competition most GM products are subpar right now. To name a few, Malibu (until an updated model is released), Cobalt, Impala, any Pontiac save for the G8, pickup trucks are subpar in safety, etc. Cadillac and Buick are on their game now and the rest are getting there, but I feel you are propping them up a little too high right now. And I have been in a GM showroom recently when I was shopping for a full size crossover this past Spring. A GM product did not win my money but it did come close. Not as close as an import that came in second for me, but closer than the rest.

You might want to check your facts on the Camaro. It was in fact recalled in May, shortly after it's delayed launch, for a defective battery cable that was causing shorts and fires.

Honestly I'm not a big import fan at all. The one we owned was very tin can-like to me and nearly every other one I've been in felt the same. So if I were to take your suggestion and drive an Accord then a Malibu I'd most likely pick the Malibu just based on it's more American feel. Then again I haven't been in an Accord for quite some time now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sub par, that is where you are wrong. I personally think that Ford has gained momentum by having a newer product line, but boy, GM is not sleeping either. Its products are very competitive, safe for the impala.
The Tundra gets seriously hosed by the Silverado and Ford was forced to MCE the F150 to keep it on top of its game.
A Malibu is way superior to a Camry, the HHR certainly cremes the Vibe easily. I have driven the back to back...
GM is not keeping its US sales crown by offering sub par products.

Knowing just how anti domestic Inside line is (check their stupid reviews of new Ford products) this unethusiatic approval of Equinox should tell you something about GM.

Compared to the competition most GM products are subpar right now. To name a few, Malibu (until an updated model is released), Cobalt, Impala, any Pontiac save for the G8, pickup trucks are subpar in safety, etc. Cadillac and Buick are on their game now and the rest are getting there, but I feel you are propping them up a little too high right now. And I have been in a GM showroom recently when I was shopping for a full size crossover this past Spring. A GM product did not win my money but it did come close. Not as close as an import that came in second for me, but closer than the rest.

You might want to check your facts on the Camaro. It was in fact recalled in May, shortly after it's delayed launch, for a defective battery cable that was causing shorts and fires.

Honestly I'm not a big import fan at all. The one we owned was very tin can-like to me and nearly every other one I've been in felt the same. So if I were to take your suggestion and drive an Accord then a Malibu I'd most likely pick the Malibu just based on it's more American feel. Then again I haven't been in an Accord for quite some time now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sub par, that is where you are wrong. I personally think that Ford has gained momentum by having a newer product line, but boy, GM is not sleeping either.
My opinion is wrong? I'm not sure where you got the idea that Ford's product line is newer than GM's. They way I see it Ford has just been more successful at wringing extra life out of its older platforms.

·
Registered
120 Posts
bottom line, whichever one slices it, the equinox is top of its class at this point in the market place
Exactly how did you come to that conclusion? Care to share any links or proof with us?

I'd take a new 'Nox over a RAV-4 or CR-V any day because I can't stand to look at the latter two. But despite what the EPA and the ads say the new 'Nox is not living up to GMs FE claims. CRs latest test has the AWD I4 'Nox getting lower FE than the V6 RAV-4 and I4 CR-V. That's not top of the class in any way shape or form. It's acceleration, in V6 and I4 trim, is bottom of the pack too. They may have nailed the exterior and interior but the powertrain still needs some work no matter what GM says in its ads.

Note that this is not my opinion presented as fact. You can read all about it in C&D, MT, and CR.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts