Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. terminated three Cadillac marketing executives and demoted the brand's former sales manager Ed Peper as part of this week's management overhaul.

Steve Shannon, Jay Spenchian and John Howell were dismissed Monday, said eight sources familiar with the moves.
The departures show GM's upheaval ran deeper than the 18 changes cited in the company's press release Tuesday. One of the biggest moves shifted responsibility for U.S. sales to North American President Mark Reuss from Susan Docherty, who remains U.S. marketing chief.

Reuss said he made the changes to flatten GM's North American organization, which he said was not moving fast enough to boost sales. Cadillac's 32 percent sales decline in the United States last year was the steepest of any surviving GM brand. Through February, Cadillac's 14 percent increase in 2010 sales lags the gains of Buick, GMC and Chevrolet.

On Tuesday, GM also moved Bryan Nesbitt back to design after seven months as Cadillac's chief. Instead of one boss, each of GM's surviving U.S. brands -- Cadillac, Chevrolet and Buick-GMC -- now has one leader for sales and service and another for marketing.
In addition, Peper, Cadillac's general sales manager since July, has been given a new title within the brand, the sources said. His new position wasn't immediately clear.

Peper will report to Kurt McNeil, named Tuesday as Cadillac's head of sales and service, two of the sources said. Before joining Cadillac, Peper was general manager of Chevrolet since March 2005. GM declined to comment. Shannon, one of the three Cadillac managers dismissed Monday, was executive director of marketing.

Chevrolet's general director of advertising, Kim Kosak, will replace Shannon but may have a different title, three of the sources said. She now will report to Don Butler, who picked up responsibility for Cadillac marketing Tuesday. He rejoins GM from Inrix, a telematics company. Shannon had worked for GM since 1982. In 2007, he was tapped to run Saab. In October 2008, Shannon became executive director of product and marketing for the "premium" Cadillac, Saab and Hummer lines. He was named Cadillac's executive director of marketing about two months later.

Spenchian, 51, was executive director of the marketing strategy support group. Howell was Cadillac's product director.
Shannon, Howell and Spenchian were part of the team that picked Publicis Groupe-backed BBH (Bartle Bogle Hegarty) in January as its new ad agency. The brand had been looking for a new shop since last fall. Incumbent agency Modernista opted not to defend the account.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100304/OEM02/100309923/1179#ixzz0hFiQAGuu

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I was going to post this elsewhere (one guess) until I read that Bryan Nesbitt's return to Design may have been part of the same political move that includes Bob Lutz retiring
but
I did wonder if maybe Mr. Nesbitt was given a 'taste' of Cadillac from the Inside
to better prepare him for a major revamp of Cadillac's approach to Lux
&or find out what it will take to inspire the dealer-teams...

...guess I'm an incurable optimist - goes with being a Mercury fan(atic)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Its about time. Cadillac is directionless.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Cadillac , really, is directionless: Volt-derived car on-off-on-off again.... no one at GM knows if Cadillac need or not an electric car... ATS on, off , on again...off again...on again, but not only a sedan, a coupe, a wagon and convertible too...oH , off again!! no one in Cadillac knows if the division need a compact RWD cars.....XTS tooooo late launch , or maybe not... say about the negligent executive board that lead (?) the GM luxury division .

I hope Mr M , at Ford, attack the Lincoln-Mercury dilemma very soon. Lincoln sales are very dissapointing, and Mercury need a new vision: an entry level luxury marque, with distintive cars and crossovers. Lincoln need a new cars, really new luxury cars: bigs, exclusive in the style and desing, with RWD , with exclusive features and equipment, with its own and exclusives powerful engines. With the glamour from the 50 and 60's Lincolns. The MK R concept car could be a good start: a real luxury 4 door sedan, with RWD. Plattform ?: Mustang modified........until a new, global RWD car plattform are ready to enter production

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
my 'impression' is the Flip-Flop "decisions" is GM-wide
- not just Cadillac
- not directionLESS > Too Many directions! sorta 'manic'

&
I *really-Really like* the XTS (from pix).
Think if Cadillac goes a bit overboard with tech (drivetrains/safety/toys) tasty-fully 'overboard'
and matches or beats the China SLS in interior ambience
the XTS will do quite well & quite-well for Caddy's image

1 - 7 of 7 Posts