Ford Inside News banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I can't believe they do not celebrate this day in one way or another. As controversial as HF was, especially in the last part of his life, when I am sure he must have suffered some form of dementia, he remains the quintessential American industrialist and of course the founder of the Ford Motor Company and the foundation of the entire Ford family.

I have read several biographies on the man and his creation (they go hand in hand, always) and always find some detail and marvels me endlessly prior, during the creation and throughout the first decades of the Ford Motor Company, like how the second company he created (the Henry Ford Motor Company) ended up in the hands of Henry Leland and renamed Cadillac (so in essence Henry Ford started Cadillac) or how he locked a group on engineers in a barn until they came up with a buildable version of the affordable V8 engine he envisioned.

In his last days he sought to destroy everything he created but gladly his work was bigger and more powerful than himself. There were many casualties during those days, the most tragic his own and only son Edsel, a fantastic car designer and self-thought engineer who saw every single initiative truncated by a father that was convinced that through adversity he would make Edsel a better man. Gladly Edsel and his fantastic wife Eleanor Clay managed to produce a forceful third generation. Eleanor was instrumental in making Henry leave the company for good in 1943 and handing the keys to HFII, when she threatened to sale her stock to third parties.

A fantastic mad genius indeed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts