Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070610/...inton_korea_dc
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democratic front-runner in the U.S. presidential race, said on Saturday she would oppose ratification of a free trade pact with South Korea because it would harm the U.S. auto industry, among other things

While I value the strong relationship the United States enjoys with South Korea, I believe that this agreement is inherently unfair," Clinton said at an
event hosted by the AFL-CIO labor confederation in Detroit, home of the U.S. car industry.

"It will hurt the U.S. auto industry, increase our trade deficit, cost us good middle-class jobs and make America less competitive."

The deal with South Korea, due to be signed on June 30, would lower barriers in areas ranging from agriculture and manufacturing to financial services and telecommunications

Lawmakers from states with auto interests have argued the pact would give South Korea unimpeded access to the U.S. auto market without going far enough to ensure Seoul dismantles barriers to its auto market

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Congress need to make sure its fair to the US. US workers are competitive, they just need a fair playing ground.

Since Mrs. Clinton is in the Senate, perhaps she can get something in motion to discuss this and make sure its fair to the US worker

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I agree with her too. I just want her to do something

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I agree with her too. I just want her to do something
Well this is how its works. The White House can sign pacts with whichever country they want, in whatever terms they deem appropriate. However, as part of this magnificent system of checks and balances that the founding father designed, these pacts in order to become treaties with orce of law need to be ratified by the congress.

This means that congress has very little or next to nothing to say at the moment of creating the language of a this type of pact, but they have a lot to say before it becomes law. That is exactly what Senator Clinton is doing and her ultimate action against this pact if she thinks it is not in the best interest of the US is to vote a big NAY when the vote to ratify the treaty is called. There is not much else she or any other senator can do. BTW she represents NY in the senate, I would think senators Levin and Stabenow from MI are on the same page about this pact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts