Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda, Toyota lead reliability survey; Ford tops domestics
GM makes notable gains as Chrysler lags
Automotive News
David Phillips
October 26, 2010 - 2:00 pm ET

DETROIT -- Honda Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. dominate the list of most reliable 2011 models based on a survey by Consumer Reports magazine, with Ford Motor Co. tops among domestic automakers, and General Motors Co. posting notable gains.

Chrysler and many European automakers lag the overall industry, with many models below average in reliability, the magazine said.

The magazine found 83 percent of Chevrolet models, GM's major brand, now have average or better scores in predicted reliability. That is up from 50 percent last year.

“General Motors and Ford have taken different paths to improving reliability,” David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports Auto Test Center, told the Automotive Press Association today.

“Some of GM's redesigned vehicles have scored well. The company has also dropped many of its below-average models. Ford has put its emphasis on fine-tuning existing platforms and limiting the number of new-model introductions.”

GM, the magazine added, is “still a way from the top.”

Consumer Reports predicted reliability: 2011 models

Full text at the link

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ford and Lincoln both up... good news, though I would like to see them higher

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One interesting bit of info, for those who can't access the article is that Consumers Report mentions the Ford Fusion as "the most reliable mid-sized sedan tracked by the magazine"

·
Registered
1 Posts
The other finalists are the 2011 Ford Fiesta, which, without the benefit of any electrical assistance, gets 40 mpg; the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is estimated to return 37 / 40; and the 2011 Lincoln MKZ returns 41 mpg city and 36 highway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ford's top model had an EB engine. That's good to see given all the gloom and doom we read regarding the reliability of turbocharged engines...

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ford's top model had an EB engine. That's good to see given all the gloom and doom we read regarding the reliability of turbocharged engines...
Don't believe I have read any reliability issues on boosted motors. Have you?
Or are you referring to quality issues, recalls, none of which relates to boosting?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't believe I have read any reliability issues on boosted motors. Have you?
Or are you referring to quality issues, recalls, none of which relates to boosting?
I haven't read a thing that has caused me concern, I'm glad to say! I was referring to posts I've read in various forums from people who (for whatever reason) just don't have much faith in the reliability of turbocharged engines -- particularly Ford's. Guess they'll have to find some other reason to grouse!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts