1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford will make next Mustang look smaller

Rick Kranz

Automotive News | June 2, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

NEW YORK — In an environment in which a big car might be viewed as a gasoline hog, Ford Motor Co.'s intention to make the next-generation Ford Mustang look smaller may be politically correct.

"We have a car which I think is more suitable for the times than the Challenger and the Camaro," said Peter Horbury, Ford Motor's North American design director. "Especially the Challenger — it is a huge car when you see it on the road."

The restyled, re-engineered 2010 Mustang goes on sale early next year.

The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 went on sale this spring.

Overall, the Challenger is 10.1 inches longer and 1.8 inches wider than the 2008 Mustang. The dimensions of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro have not been released, but the Camaro concept is 1.4 inches shorter and 5.7 inches wider than the 2008 Mustang.

Speaking of the 2010 Mustang, Horbury said the overall length and width are the same as those of the 2008 Mustang

"By cleverness in design, we've been able to make it look like the wheels are further out, further forward and further rearward," Horbury said during an interview at a Ford event last month in New York.

"The center line is the longest part" of the next Mustang, he said, "and the widest part of the car is the middle. From there on, you can tuck it in and bring the apparent size down."

Ford’s Peter Horbury: “We have a car which I think is more suitable for the times than the Challenger and the Camaro.”

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080602/ANA03/806020357/1144/TOC&template=printart

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Mr.H. said:
..."We have a car which I think is more suitable for the times than the Challenger and the Camaro," said Peter Horbury, Ford Motor's North American design director. "Especially the Challenger — it is a huge car when you see it on the road."
Ditto!
tho imho the Mustang coulda shrunk a bit on the outside (Not the Inside for god's sake!)
maybe they'll make it lighter anyway - that'd be nice:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I for one wouldn't mind seeing it drop in size for real in the interest of reducing weight. Nothing huge, just an inch or two in length maybe if that can be translated to a weight savings. I think the key to the Mustang having an edge over the Challenger or the Camaro is being lighter and more nimble. We don't know how the Camaro will compare weight wise, but the Challenger is a done deal. I remember a recent comparo that Edmunds did which compared the Bullitt Mustang to the Challenger SRT-8. The Challenger outperformed the Bullitt but only barely, which doesn't say much for a car with a 110 horsepower advantage and a premium price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts