·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House committee looking into Ford's decision to pull bailout add
By Drew Johnson
Sep 30th, 2011
LLN

The House Oversight and Government Reform committee is calling on Ford to explain why it recently decided to pull its television commercial that was critical of the government’s bailout of General Motors and Chrysler.

The ad in question drew fire earlier this month for spotlighting the fact that Ford did not receive federal bailout money. The TV spot featured a man named Chris saying he was only going to “buy from a manufacturer that’s standing on their own: win, lose, or draw.”

Although stories vary, The Detroit News reported that Ford yanked the spot after receive heat from the White House. Rumors suggest President Obama didn’t want the bad memories of the GM and Chrysler bailouts to hurt his re-election chances.

Full text at link

·
Registered
607 Posts
For the same reasons that the man in the commercial bought his F150, I bought an '11 Explorer. I too am an American car buyer. I cannot in good conscience buy a vehicle from a foreign company knowing that doing so will put Americans out of work. Years ago, I bought a VW Fox only because if I had bought an American subcompact car, I would've been actually been buying a Daewoo, Suzuki, Mazda, or Mitsubishi as the Big Three only offered captive imports in that class. I'm all for competition as it improves the breed and the domestic automakers vehicles are now completely competitive in every way to their foreign competition. And, I'm also all for freedom of choice; I just choose to keep jobs here.

In researching a family vehicle, I looked long and hard at the competition including the Traverse, Acadia and the Durango, and even the Pilot and Highlander. None offered the cargo capacity, features, fuel economy, looks, roominess, ride, and comfort I wanted and needed. Having owned numerous new and used GM vehicles over the years as well as numerous Ford products, I chose the latter for the exact same reasons as the man in the controversial commercial. GM completely mismanaged itself into bankruptcy; to a lesser extent, Chrysler did, too. I preferred the Explorer and Durango over the Traverse and Acadia based on styling, features, room, fuel economy, and safety. But when I learned that the Explorer had the highest American content, I was sold. I now have over 10k miles on mine and I couldn't be happier. It's likely my next car will be a Ford Mustang convertible; regardless, it's certain my next new vehicle will be a Ford.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I've had an "LA share" of imports & strongly lean towards a domestic from here on...
...kinda mixed feeling about Chrysler -- I'm very attracted to a possible Fiat based smallish car - seems the Fiat 'Jet' engines could be a strong selling point
yet
(this may sound funny) that college girl being put thru (imho) a stupidly-unfair trial makes have 2nd thoughts about anything to do with Italy.
Anyone have similar feelings?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts