Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid Sedan Comparison Test: Camry Hybrid vs. Accord Hybrid vs. Fusion Hybrid vs. Jetta Hybrid

Tell someone you drive a hybrid and they will most likely assume there's a Toyota Prius parked out in your driveway. Generally, it's a safe assumption, as nearly 55 percent of the total hybrids sold in 2011 were Toyota Priuses.

Things are changing quickly, however, as an influx of new hybrid models from other manufacturers has cut deeply into the dominance of the Prius. In fact, more hybrids were sold in 2013 than ever before, showing that car shoppers are increasingly looking at hybrids as viable alternatives to more traditional vehicles.

Nowhere is this increased selection more evident than in the midsize sedan segment where hybrid versions are now available for some of the top selling models. With that in mind, we gathered up four hybrid sedans and set out to find how they compare and how much they'll really cost you.

To find out how they stack up, we subjected each hybrid sedan to 735 miles of fuel economy testing, with three different driving "loops" that simulated driving on suburban roads, rural highway and high-speed interstates. We also put them through our usual round of instrumented testing to get a complete picture of how these cars perform in the real world.

1st Place: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
As each editor climbed out of the Honda and into the Ford, it was a common refrain that the Fusion is much quieter, more comfortable and even more responsive from behind the wheel. Importantly, it draws less attention to the fact that it's a hybrid, doing without the Accord's excessive engine droning and the Camry's abundance of electric whirring noises. The fact that the Fusion is by far the best-looking and most involving to drive is icing on the cake.

Read more: http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion-hybrid/2013/comparison-test.html

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Re: Hybrid Sedan Comparison Test: Camry Hybrid vs. Accord Hybrid vs. Fusion Hybrid vs

Like the Accord, the Fusion topped the mighty half-century mark in the suburban driving segment at 52.9 mpg. It was also the most efficient on the rural highway route, returning 41.2 mpg, and a very respectable 3rd on the high-speed interstate leg at 44 mpg.

Now, the Accord was indeed cheaper to fill up overall, but the difference was a minuscule 0.5 mpg or 0.12 gallon per 100 miles of driving. That's a difference of 85 cents for the test or about $14 over the course of a typical year. As all things were essentially equal on that front, other attributes became the determining factor.

Among them was the Fusion's useful trunk layout. Though its numerical capacity in cubic-feet is actually less than the Accord and Camry (12.0 versus 12.3 and 13.0, respectively), there is more usable space. The battery chews up the lower quarter of the trunk's forward half, creating a shelf that a suitcase or other items can still sit atop. More importantly, though, the design allows for the 60/40-split rear seat to fold down.

Fuel-Sipping Family Sedan

The Jetta's does a similar trick but its shelf is bigger and the pass-through smaller; the second-best Camry provides the equivalent of a mailbox slot; the Accord an impenetrable wall. In this way, like the driving experience, the hybrid Fusion seems like less of a trade-off.

The cruise control was another best-in-test, fastidiously keeping speed both up and down hill. Less impressive is the Fusion's MyFord Touch electronics interface, but we've grown accustomed to it over time and preferred it to the Camry and Jetta's interfaces. In other words, we could live with it.

Which is a pretty good way to sum up the Ford Fusion Hybrid: for those who are new to hybrids, it'll be easy to live with. It feels the most like a normal car, while delivering the fuel economy you'd expect from a hybrid.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion-...AID=10364102&mktid=cj260233&mktcat=affiliates

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Re: Hybrid Sedan Comparison Test: Camry Hybrid vs. Accord Hybrid vs. Fusion Hybrid vs

Great news! Ford is earning a better reputation not only in hybrids, but across their entire lineup.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

What's interesting about the test is that it's all about driving a hybrid like a regular car, and not using any of the mpg improving technology like Break Coach for better break regeneration. Since most people are not going to change their driving habits, and expect the car to do it for them, it's good that Ford made the software changes to do just that.

Edmunds should do the same with the C-MAX Hybrid wagon and Prius v wagon.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My next door neighbor just purchases a Fusion Hybrid in Titanium trim. When she brought it home she was kind enough to take me for a spin since she know how much I love cars, mainly Fords. I have never fell in love with a car as quickly as I did with hers. Ford has done an outstanding job with the Fusion Hybrid which is verified with this 1st place finish.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's because it doesn't have this pesky blue colored oval thing on the front. :D

Drive both. The Accord hybrid powerplant has nothing on the Fusion. It truly feels half baked in comparison.

But again, there is that pesky blue thing.......................

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I would probably buy the Ford over the Honda because it is an American car but I find the Honda a bit more appealing on some levels. Truthfully neither the Fusion nor Accord offer me anything that would entice me to move me from my current car. I also find your commentary a bit astray because I own two Ford products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts