Ford Inside News banner

Hyundai Sonata overtakes Nissan Altima for third in mid-size segment

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SobeSVT 
#1 ·
Hyundai is movin' on up. According to The Detroit News, the Sonata officially displaced the Nissan Altima as the third best-selling mid-size sedan in America last month. In August, the Korean manufacturer sold 21,399 units, falling just behind the Honda Accord at 22,506 and the Toyota Camry at a little over 30,000. Those numbers are just based on retail sales, not the vehicles that are sold off to rental fleets. The Sonata has been besting rivals like the Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu for a good while now, but this is the first time the car has managed to rattle the Japanese triumvirate that dominates the segment.

It seemed to be only a matter of time, though. The Sonata now wears some of the best looking sheet metal of any midsizer out there and its price tag comes in a good bit lower than both the Accord and the Camry. Throw in a snappy interior and very efficient drivetrain options, and suddenly you've got the attention of the car-buying public. The Detroit News says that since the 2011 Sonata debuted, the number of car buyers considering the vehicle has leapfrogged from 6.2 percent in January of 2007 to 19.5 percent recently.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/21/report-hyundai-sonata-overtakes-nissan-altima-for-third-in-mid/

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100921/AUTO01/9210315/1148/auto01/Hyundai-makes-its-move

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought the Fusion was closing in... wow that is huge for the Sonota... but remember they are selling well cause ther are still 2010's that are selling like crazy cause of discounts...

it will be interesting to see how it plays out next year

#5 ·
The Sonata is an impressive vehicle. Both visually and technically. It deserves the success its having.
True, but i too still see many 2010s on the lot. The dealers around here are trying to get rid of them by selling them at $12k.

#6 ·
True, but i too still see many 2010s on the lot. The dealers around here are trying to get rid of them by selling them at $12k.
Well, the 2010s are the "old" style Sonatas. If you don't care about the swoopy styling of the new model, this would be a great deal for someone just looking for a competent midsize sedan. Even though the restyle sacrificed a little practicality, there's no question it's a lot more eye-catching than the old model, and technologically, it's a much more advanced car overall.

#8 ·
Man, Fusion is not even in the game. Despite its being an Excellent car. I do not understand why soo many people buy the Ugly and outclassed Camry, and the noisy Honda Accord
The Fusion is pretty much in the game for its production capacity and output and is VERY profitable for Ford. It is up to Ford to decide if the want to reach Camry levels, for which they would have to create extra capacity somewhere, which at this point and under the current economy would be a very dumb thing to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.