Ford Inside News banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
tho no doubt about the Continental MKII

Remember, THAT car was not a Lincoln . . .
Well, as popular as it is, I don't see how Ford could justify the cost of a one-model RWD platform (i.e. Mustang). Why not spread the cost around to some other variants like a sedan? Everyone's saying how "anti-RWD" Mulally is. I don't think that's necessarily the case. I just think he's trying to make a business case for a RWD car chassis, and that plan hasn't yet come to fruition, or been made public.
Mulally is not anti-RWD, he is anti wasteful spending. If the business case for a RWD platform is made and solid it will go through.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Well, as popular as it is, I don't see how Ford could justify the cost of a one-model RWD platform (i.e. Mustang). Why not spread the cost around to some other variants like a sedan? Everyone's saying how "anti-RWD" Mulally is. I don't think that's necessarily the case. I just think he's trying to make a business case for a RWD car chassis, and that plan hasn't yet come to fruition, or been made public.
Business case? ok, here the variants ( and the estimate anual sales ) could come from the global RWD platform:

1.-Next Mustang (100000 units)
2.-Replacement for australian Falcon line (40000 units)
3.-rwd sport sedan for Europe ( to compete with BMW and MB midsize cars). This car could be the same Falcon replacement and could go to USA as upscale sport sedan (60000 units aditional to Australian production, 30000 in Europe and 30000 in USA)
4.- Lincoln sedans: one midsize and other fullsize (100000 units)
5.- Lincoln coupe (20000 units)
6.- Lincoln convertible (15000 units)
7.- New Thunderbird (25000 units)

Is not enough 345000 units per year a business case for a RWD premium platform ???? I think is enough. All those cars proposed must share multiple components and only will have different sheetmetal , interiors and equipments ( like the MK T and Flex) . And this numbers are very conservative. What do you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's not me you have to convince! :D I agree Ford needs a RWD passenger-car chassis. And I haven't heard anyone suggest that the Mustang's going FWD anytime soon. I think Ford's probably working on a global RWD platform, they're just not talking about it yet.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
It's not me you have to convince! :D I agree Ford needs a RWD passenger-car chassis. And I haven't heard anyone suggest that the Mustang's going FWD anytime soon. I think Ford's probably working on a global RWD platform, they're just not talking about it yet.

hahahahaha! I know is not you i need to convince. Is Mr M! I hope Ford is working now in that platform. if that is true, is the industry best keep secret hahahahaha!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't think there is an automaker better at keeping secrets than Ford. What does T6 look like? How many Focus spyshots were there before it was unveiled? Even Explorer and Taurus really only had two good leaks.

I'm hoping Lincoln gets both a D2C and E8 Sedan (and coupe/vert for the D2C model).

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are probably some mules running around with Taurus bodies on them. If anyone sees any doing a RW burnout, let us know! :D

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ Igotzzoom, howzabout that unusual looking camo'ed MKS from... ...a year ago?
there's an old thread around here somewheres

&
can't resist (re)posting my GRwdP lineup:
small-ish = Mustang, Lincoln coupe/cabrio and sportsedan (3 series-ish)
medium = Falcon (+ "formerly" COUGAR see sig)
large-ish = Continental & Constellation (sedan and 4d-coupe), + maybe Tbird or& Galaxie
^ Mustang & all Lincolns would be sold globally - - eventually

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
^ Igotzzoom, howzabout that unusual looking camo'ed MKS from... ...a year ago?
there's an old thread around here somewheres

&
can't resist (re)posting my GRwdP lineup:
small-ish = Mustang, Lincoln coupe/cabrio and sportsedan (3 series-ish)
medium = Falcon (+ "formerly" COUGAR see sig)
large-ish = Continental & Constellation (sedan and 4d-coupe), + maybe Tbird or& Galaxie
^ Mustang & all Lincolns would be sold globally - - eventually
Still not sure what the deal was with that MKS... it was already after the EcoBoost MKS was out wasn't it?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Still not sure what the deal was with that MKS... it was already after the EcoBoost MKS was out wasn't it?
OY! I made the supreme sacrifice and found the MKS thread (March'09)

& also the thread with that possible SECOND (coupe?) MKR (Jan'09)

a quick google seems to suggest that MKS-EB's were just arriving at dealers in May'09
but pretty sure it had been shown or at least announced at/by NAIAS'09

just now I don't have the determination needed to check on the times that Falcon testcars were spied in the U.S. but that might be an interesting data point to correlate too

speculation(s):
- imho the GRwdP was at least 90% completed, including LeftHandDrive, when the 'apocalypse' started
- FoMoCo is just waiting for it to get better-enough ... that ain't easy to figure ?when?
- wouldn't surprise me at all if FoMoCo has made a few test vehicles at various times to keep the program from mummifying

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It is interesting, the grill seems to be separate from the headlights, and a bit smaller?

Also if you look at the rear windows they are trying to hide the fact that it still has that little kick back

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It is interesting, the grill seems to be separate from the headlights, and a bit smaller?

Also if you look at the rear windows they are trying to hide the fact that it still has that little kick back
yeah & (IMHO) there were proportion differences TOO
but
this current thread has me wondering if it was a GRwdP mule now?
The small grille opening might have been to mimic the air-sucking performance of a car totally unrelated to the MKS

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
yeah & (IMHO) there were proportion differences TOO
but
this current thread has me wondering if it was a GRwdP mule now?
The small grille opening might have been to mimic the air-sucking performance of a car totally unrelated to the MKS
I really hope so, the MKS should have been RWD from the start... and even though its on a FWD platform I wish they would mouth the engine properly and make it AWD only

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hi Everyone. New here. I tried posting yesterday but for whatever reason, it didn’t take. Thought I could put my 2 cents worth in on the conversation.

Remember that Lincoln started life way back as a better Cadillac. Edsel Ford made sure the style was there and you could say Lincoln, Cadillac and Rolls Royce in the same sentence. Ford needs to bring Lincoln back to its roots. The beginning of the end was when Ford decided to make Lincoln "Entry Luxury" because at the time Jaguar said Lincoln was more luxurious. Well Ford is rid of the Jaguar/Volvo/Land Rover group so now it's time to take Lincoln back to the top where it belongs.

I have a few ideas so one at a time. Has anyone ever thought of the idea to merge the MKZ, MKS and MKX lines into one specific model? The new model would be somewhere within the Z and S in size and can be offered with a 2-door in addition to the 4-door and CUV models. It might lighten up some of the crowding and there would be less MK names to get confused. This would become one model name instead of 3. Alo offer a Long Wheelbase model.

The C Concept isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Lincoln needs a radical car to shake things up. (Yes, but radical done correctly) Remember the original Lincoln Zephyr. It started with a radical design from the Briggs Company. This concept is similar to the C Concept. Both are different and seat 6 passengers. Both look totally different but get the message across. All the C Concept needs is a little tweaking here and there and offer it in coupe, sedan, convertible and CUV. This could be the winner Lincoln is looking for IF done right.

We all know Lincoln needs the Continental back but for whatever reason, Ford does not want to do this. However, the new Continental would be the new flagship model. Look to the 1976 Lincoln Mark 4 and 1978 Lincoln Mark 5 for themes to use. Crisp, Sophisticated and Elegant would be the watchwords. After all the original Continental was patterned after the European cars correct? SO in addition to the traditional 2-door model, offer a 4-door coupe design but go a step further and offer in 4-door coupe form as well as a 4-door convertible. Very Classy. Cars today are too roundy looking. There's no character in the current designs. There’s some but not what is true Lincoln Style.

Look at the colors offered back in the 70's and 80's. You could pick from a wide selection of colors and 2-tone colors as well. Remember the Luxury Groups where you could create your own color combination? The Designers Series? How about the interiors? Remember the seating designs that looked the part. That is a problem with the current Lincolns cars. The current seating design is too bland. Any chance of offering a rich cloth interior with a classy design in addition to leather? There really needs to be a way to get the spare tire decklid somehow back in the design. Remember, style sells bland doesn’t. Leave the bland for Lexus and Acura. Give Lincoln something better. Lincoln Style. A modern take could be the “Coachbuilder Series” where famous Coachbuilders use there input for exterior trim and interiors. Offer color selections similar to the 1927 Bird ads Lincoln used. To look the part as the Flagship of the Ford Motor Company, you have to act it as well.

To compete with the V-Series Cadillac, Lincoln needs to revive the LSC name and apply to the high performance models. Perhaps a V-8 by Shelby or some other Tuner would help boost the image. Is there any chance of a DeTomaso in the showroom again like the Pantera? Has anyone ever tried a V-8 in an MKS? Or MKZ? WOW! This could send Cadillac running. LOL The twin turbo V-6 is ok but Lincoln needs to make a statement here.

Lincoln needs Substance. At this time Lincoln is a great "Mercury". Lincoln will be recognized as real player with the right Substance. Lincoln's 100th anniversary is only 10 years away. There needs to be a build up starting now so when the moment arrives, Lincoln is there. There’s a lot of Lincoln history so the substance is within. There needs to be a WOW factor here. That’s what gets results. There needs to bee some kind of mystique that keeps drawing you to the car design.

The current designers at Ford are too conservative. Ford needs to employ better designers. Any chance of a Lincoln designed by Pininfarina or Bertone? Ford owns Ghia in Italy. Any chance of reviving that coachbuilder to design some new ideas at Ford and Lincoln? Is there any way of getting the designer of the Continental Concept and the Mark 9 Concept to develop new and exciting designs for Lincoln?

Look at the years Lincoln had the most sales. What did they have/do that made them a success? What was the tag line used to draw you in. Remember the “Judge your car against our car” campaign in the 1970’s? Personally, I like “America’s Most Distinguished Motorcar” and “The Continentals. The Final Step Up”. These make a statement. Now all you need are the right vehicles and there you are.

Thank you, I hope some ideas here help and sorry if I sound too nit picky. If Ford spent as much time and money with Lincoln as they have with the Mustang alone, who knows where Lincoln would be today. At the top of course.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum, TurboS40!!

I have a few ideas so one at a time. Has anyone ever thought of the idea to merge the MKZ, MKS and MKX lines into one specific model? The new model would be somewhere within the Z and S in size and can be offered with a 2-door in addition to the 4-door and CUV models. It might lighten up some of the crowding and there would be less MK names to get confused. This would become one model name instead of 3. Alo offer a Long Wheelbase model...
this is something I've posted/speculated about in regards to the Fusion/Mondeo/Taurus/etc merger
which afaik is only about 2 years away - - specifically whether the Flex/MKT platform will be continued while the Taurus/Explorer/MKS would go to the elongated "CD4". DUNNO!

I'd REALLY *LIKE* to see a sedan version of the longer-wheelbase MKT!!!

Link

...We all know Lincoln needs the Continental back but for whatever reason, Ford does not want to do this. However, the new Continental would be the new flagship model. Look to the 1976 Lincoln Mark 4 and 1978 Lincoln Mark 5 for themes to use. Crisp, Sophisticated and Elegant would be the watchwords. After all the original Continental was patterned after the European cars correct? SO in addition to the traditional 2-door model, offer a 4-door coupe design but go a step further and offer in 4-door coupe form as well as a 4-door convertible. Very Classy. Cars today are too roundy looking. There's no character in the current designs. There’s some but not what is true Lincoln Style...
lately (since the 'Murder') I've decided that THERE IS NO LINCOLN - WITHOUT A CONTINENTAL. period
but
I firmly believe Ford will build one as soon as they can...
- afford to
- have a business case for it re: the EEKonomy
- can firm up which other models (besides Mustang & Falcon) will accompany it

...To compete with the V-Series Cadillac, Lincoln needs to revive the LSC name...
no offense but "LSC" is not a Name imho
&
if they're gonna do a hot model & stick with initials, I'd like them to have the guts to use HRL

...Lincoln needs Substance. At this time Lincoln is a great "Mercury"...
yeah
I sorta agree with our former member, the not-quite-ubiquitous "megeebee" that
Lincoln is just a Premier-trim Mercury (minus the bit-nicer waterfall grille
)

...sorry if I sound too nit picky...
imho, 2 words:
IM - POSSIBLE

...If Ford spent as much time and money with Lincoln as they have with the Mustang alone, who knows where Lincoln would be today. At the top of course.
ya know
I've kinda thought that FoMoCo would be better off KILLING THE MUSTANG - - it's been too much of a distraction & crutch!
Of course now that they're getting their act together (finally) that ^ no longer applies (I think)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
2b2 LSC was used on high end Lincolns for a very long time specificly on the Mark Series.. but the C I think stands for Coupe

on the LS they used LSE, E I guess was for "extra" or "enhanced"

Reactions: 2b2
21 - 35 of 35 Posts