Ford Inside News banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent really seen any posts about the big topic of tariffs yet. Trump is proposing a tariff on all vehicles imported to the US, this includes vehicles from American manufactures that are produced outside the US in Mexico and Canada. The tariffs on steel and aluminum would also have an impact on the manufactures as well. The automakers are all yelling that the tariffs will cause an increase in vehicle and parts prices which will be passed to the consumer, also could result in thousands of lost jobs. I'm curious to know whether or not people agree with the automakers on the gloom and doom prospects. Also do we think Trump will actually go through with these tariffs or is he just doing some saber rattling?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I havent really seen any posts about the big topic of tariffs yet. Trump is proposing a tariff on all vehicles imported to the US, this includes vehicles from American manufactures that are produced outside the US in Mexico and Canada. The tariffs on steel and aluminum would also have an impact on the manufactures as well. The automakers are all yelling that the tariffs will cause an increase in vehicle and parts prices which will be passed to the consumer, also could result in thousands of lost jobs. I'm curious to know whether or not people agree with the automakers on the gloom and doom prospects. Also do we think Trump will actually go through with these tariffs or is he just doing some saber rattling?
Trade tarrifs can be answered with more tarrifs, but when everything is balanced, most contries will realize they have more to lose than gain. If Europe/China drop the tarrifs on US cars, there will not be a huge rush to import more from the US, as all that takes planning and capacity. If they concede and reduce the tarrifs, they will not face new tarrifs on products they are exporting, thus their companies can continue as normal.
There is a bit a sabre rattling, but knowing the sabre is not stuck in the scabbard as it has been in the past, may convince some that fair trade is better than reduced trade.

Reactions: 70 Stang
1 - 2 of 2 Posts