Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Infiniti QX30 Compact Crossover Concept Coming To Geneva

It’s been known for some time that Infiniti is planning a crossover version of its upcoming Q30 compact car, and today we have our first official look at the vehicle by way of a teaser. The teaser is for a thinly-veiled concept version that's set to debut next month at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show.

The new compact crossover will be called the QX30, and like the Q30 hatch, whose styling it will mimic, it will be based on the MFA premium compact car platform developed by Mercedes-Benz. Thus, while the Q30 will be similar to Mercedes’ MFA-based A-Class hatch, the QX30 will be similar to the Mercedes GLA compact crossover.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096643_infiniti-qx30-compact-crossover-concept-coming-to-geneva

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This will be awesome. Again, I don't really know why, but I love Infiniti.

That said, this design screams new Mazda to me

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
To me there is a clearly demarcated line in which elegant design falls to the left and extreme design falls to the right. In my mind that line represent the perfect balance, elegant and classy, yet not so bland as to induce narcolepsy. A product that sits on that line will excite the enthusiast buyer while not offending the taste of the more traditional buyer.

A brand like Audi falls clearly on the left, BMW of late has been more restrained and falls very close to the line itself, maybe a little left, Mercedes falls very close also, though a bit to the right. Cadillac with the first three CTS sedans started well to the right and has moved to a point just right of the line as they've toned down their A&S theme and softened the hard edges. The MKZ, MKC, and MKX all fall left of the line but not far left with the MKZ actually sitting very close to the line.

To my taste Infiniti has been the tiny dot over on the far right horizon. They're trying really hard to excite that 10% on the far right that crave excitement while obviously ignoring the 10% at the opposite far left end of the scale, and are still to far right for probably 75% of the middle 80% of perspective customers. There are aspects of Infiniti design that I absolutely love, but there isn't enough elegance in their designs to arrive at a good balance, not enough sweet to offset the heaping serving of sour.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
To me there is a clearly demarcated line in which elegant design falls to the left and extreme design falls to the right. In my mind that line represent the perfect balance, elegant and classy, yet not so bland as to induce narcolepsy. A product that sits on that line will excite the enthusiast buyer while not offending the taste of the more traditional buyer.

A brand like Audi falls clearly on the left, BMW of late has been more restrained and falls very close to the line itself, maybe a little left, Mercedes falls very close also, though a bit to the right. Cadillac with the first three CTS sedans started well to the right and has moved to a point just right of the line as they've toned down their A&S theme and softened the hard edges. The MKZ, MKC, and MKX all fall left of the line but not far left with the MKZ actually sitting very close to the line.

To my taste Infiniti has been the tiny dot over on the far right horizon. They're trying really hard to excite that 10% on the far right that crave excitement while obviously ignoring the 10% at the opposite far left end of the scale, and are still to far right for probably 75% of the middle 80% of perspective customers. There are aspects of Infiniti design that I absolutely love, but there isn't enough elegance in their designs to arrive at a good balance, not enough sweet to offset the heaping serving of sour.
double :thumb::thumb: post, SP!!

&
would you characterize Lexus as the roadkill (by suicide) that's spread all over everything?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
double :thumb::thumb: post, SP!!

&
would you characterize Lexus as the roadkill (by suicide) that's spread all over everything?
IMO Lexus began life well to the left of that line, but they do expose a weakness in my example. In theory Lexus would fall well left of Audi, yet at no time has Lexus every displayed the elegance that Audi does.

A better example would be a scatter chart with the centered vertical line being exciting at the top and boring at the bottom, the center horizontal line would represent elegance on the left, and tacky on the right.

So by this new example older Lexus products would fall just left of the vertical center line and well below the horizontal line, or in other words not very elegant, yet not tacky, not at all exciting, but very boring! New Lexus products would fall to the far right of the vertical center line but only slightly above the horizontal center line equating to very tacky, and not all that exciting, yet not boring either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts