Ford Inside News banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Maybe it is just a coyote engine for racing application. There is Roush-Yates 5.3 l v8 "cammer" which develops over 600 hp and has slightly larger than 5.0 l displacement (5.3)...but it is based on old 4.6 l modular..Maybe this is just same type of engine based on coyote v8.

· Mercury C557
22,902 Posts
I remember a LOT of extreme forum-interest when the BOSS 6.2v8 was arriving
AND practically silence on posters' part afterwards...

...wonder if that engine never lived up to expectations
& if this is (IN PART) a replacement

&
not only re: camless design,
thinking that "Voodoo" implies something 'original' if not down-right weird engineering-wise

· Registered
5,940 Posts

The sound of that engine is heavenly

· Mercury C557
22,902 Posts
^ Thanks for the links, guys
tho they will have to wait a while for me
BUT
...Maybe it could turn out to be a Lincoln performance badge...
seeing this^ again is making me think about a recent post I made at GMI
AND that maybe this is LONGer-range
imho, tho it might be meaningless to speculate this far out
but,
after bringing the shared-platform Lincolns up to where they ought to be,
I could still see Lincoln (or Lincoln-Continental) bringing out ONE high-end/6-digits:$150k game-changer...
...tho don't think it'd be strictly petrol-powered

...and thinking of more than ONE defeats even my imagination
so
could this engine be for a 2020+ drivetrain?
I gotta believe FLincMoCo is already feverishly work on that generation (not even sure how to refer to it!)
and
3rd-party initial phase reminds me of Magna doing the early work for the FocusElectric...

· Mercury C557
22,902 Posts
^ imho the nextgen Mustang is mainly LOWER than the current, including the engine compartment
tho
it won't surprise me if the engine-space is significant w-i-d-e-r along with both front & rear track (ie wheel flares std!)

&
autoblog says: "four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, likely displacing 2.3 liters, putting out as much as 350 horsepower"
ttac says: "new 2.3L Ecoboost I4 is said to make roughly 270 horsepower."
2b2 says: "gen 2 EBs will be capable of 140hp-per-liter in production trim"

&
got a strong feeling the only engines At Start of Sales will be the 5.0v8 and one of the 3.5/3.7v6s
edit: with an all-new body there's no financial gain to offer more than they have to ...until... sales need a 'boost'

&
re: the Voodoo
I still think it's gotta be "more-than-just-new" and I'm betting on computer-actuated valves OR something even more futuristic

· Registered
82 Posts
I still think it's gotta be "more-than-just-new" and I'm betting on computer-actuated valves OR something even more futuristic
Doubt it..this sort of engine would cost a lot and it is not proven tehnology so i doubt Ford would put this sort of engine in Mustang. Maybe some much more expensive car in near future..

· Registered
26 Posts
Also some info from Thetruthaboutcars.com
The SVT Cobra will have a 5.2L naturally aspirated V8 with no engine cover. The reason for that is because the new styling (and Euro safety regs) mean a supercharger is not feasible as far as fitting under the hood goes.
Saw this too and looks to fit in perfectly with what the OP's saying about Mahle Powertrain. 600hp with IRS and a lighter frame would not just be a Boss 302 replacement, sounds like this could be the best track trasher we've seen to date. I hope we see this in 2016 latest.

^ imho the nextgen Mustang is mainly LOWER than the current, including the engine compartment
tho
it won't surprise me if the engine-space is significant w-i-d-e-r along with both front & rear track (ie wheel flares std!)

&
autoblog says: "four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, likely displacing 2.3 liters, putting out as much as 350 horsepower"
ttac says: "new 2.3L Ecoboost I4 is said to make roughly 270 horsepower."
2b2 says: "gen 2 EBs will be capable of 140hp-per-liter in production trim"

&
got a strong feeling the only engines At Start of Sales will be the 5.0v8 and one of the 3.5/3.7v6s
edit: with an all-new body there's no financial gain to offer more than they have to ...until... sales need a 'boost'

&
Certainly sounds like it has to be something pretty outside the box. I agree with you that most likely won't see this until further out into the s550's life. Tho I'm hoping for '16. As for the design, I'm with you that it will be lower and some of the latest pics have shown wider track, possibly wider design / wider engine compart. like you said. The tighter engine compartment we saw in the early mule shots point to a more curved fascia so the wider compartment could be how they made up for that.....

21 - 40 of 56 Posts