Ford Inside News banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
So am I putting words in your mouth or am I questioning your ridiculous assumption that Ford’s strategy is to hope for Tesla failure? Me thinks the latter.

Digging a bit further, if you were to follow the thread, which is filled with Bloggin’s appraisal of Tesla who can do no wrong (as are pretty much every other thread even tangentially related to BEV), with projections for growth and profit and yaddayadda…..I threw out a simple business reminder, that when you no longer own the market share, and in fact it is flooded with competition, that things are quite different. My only mention about Ford earlier, is to correct another fallacy that blogging keeps perpectuating, that Ford will only have 1 BEV by 2022.

So please stop making this about me. That is just a convenient excuse for your rant.

You are welcome.
So, Wings; I know that you are a highly placed Ford insider. I do not know how highly placed you are. Perhaps you are so highly placed that you actually speak for the corporation; again, I don't know.

It seems that whenever I reference your statements you counter that I am writing things about Ford. Indeed, it would be a "ridiculous assumption" if I wrote that "Ford's strategy is to hope for Tesla's failure." However, I was not writing about what Ford was saying, I was writing about what you were saying. I quoted you not any Ford statement, unless you actually do speak for Ford. So it is about you, Wings. You wrote "0%."

I'm very sorry that you take anything but Ford fanboy fawning (I love alliterations) as a personal assault. I'm a Ford fan. That's why I hope so sincerely that they do better by all measures. That's why I will continue to rant if I believe that they are not making what I believe are the right moves.

I don't mean to hurt your feelings Wings but I'd "rant" here on FIN even if you weren't here.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
So, Wings; I know that you are a highly placed Ford insider. I do not know how highly placed you are. Perhaps you are so highly placed that you actually speak for the corporation; again, I don't know.

It seems that whenever I reference your statements you counter that I am writing things about Ford. Indeed, it would be a "ridiculous assumption" if I wrote that "Ford's strategy is to hope for Tesla's failure." However, I was not writing about what Ford was saying, I was writing about what you were saying. I quoted you not any Ford statement, unless you actually do speak for Ford. So it is about you, Wings. You wrote "0%."

I'm very sorry that you take anything but Ford fanboy fawning (I love alliterations) as a personal assault. I'm a Ford fan. That's why I hope so sincerely that they do better by all measures. That's why I will continue to rant if I believe that they are not making what I believe are the right moves.

I don't mean to hurt your feelings Wings but I'd "rant" here on FIN even if you weren't here.

"it seems that" ?????

Hmmm, well, I responded to your remark about Ford in a reply to me, when I clearly was not talking about them. I only pointed out a simple fact about Tesla.

I can't help how things "seem" to you.

And I am a simple development engineer, that's it. Stop putting this back on me please.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It is true that Ford of North America will have only one BEV arriving at the end of 2021 and internally it has been called the C-EV (CX727) since 2015 which Farley wants to dub Mach 1, but that apparently failed the media test so right now it's still C-EV as a tentative name until they settle on it. Model E was a name never used at Ford btw. More BEVs will follow beyond 2021 but nobody knows what they are at this point. When Ford speaks of their "EVs", they really are speaking in broader terms which includes HEVs and PHEV. BEVs is a longer term ramp-up and coordinated to follow a MASSIVE high volume Hybrid strategy which accounts for those seemingly impossible product numbers. So yeah, Ford will not have a BEV on the market for over 3 years in NA...BUT they have an ambitous transitional strategy which I think will make people forgive them for awhile. China is a bit different since they have partners producing BEVs for them to bridge the gap at Hybrid-only Ford.

The RWD Hybrid technology going into the Explorer, Aviator, F-150, and Mustang is pretty interesting. The Hybrid Generator is built into the 10-Speed Transmission and housed within the Transmission shroud which makes it very compact and modular so it can be used in a variety of applications and mated to various engines like any other transmission. The CD6 platform is also designed so that the front differential for the AWD system passes through the oil pan. CD6 is also a significantly lower platform so Explorer is going to look a little low and small compared to it's competitors, not going to be a great off-roader but it should be a screamer on the roads.

I know less about the FWD systems but I'm told it's very similar to what they are using now.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It is true that Ford of North America will have only one BEV arriving at the end of 2021 and internally it has been called the C-EV (CX727) since 2015 which Farley wants to dub Mach 1, but that apparently failed the media test so right now it's still C-EV as a tentative name until they settle on it. Model E was a name never used at Ford btw. More BEVs will follow beyond 2021 but nobody knows what they are at this point. When Ford speaks of their "EVs", they really are speaking in broader terms which includes HEVs and PHEV. BEVs is a longer term ramp-up and coordinated to follow a MASSIVE high volume Hybrid strategy which accounts for those seemingly impossible product numbers. So yeah, Ford will not have a BEV on the market for over 3 years in NA...BUT they have an ambitous transitional strategy which I think will make people forgive them for awhile. China is a bit different since they have partners producing BEVs for them to bridge the gap at Hybrid-only Ford.

The RWD Hybrid technology going into the Explorer, Aviator, F-150, and Mustang is pretty interesting. The Hybrid Generator is built into the 10-Speed Transmission and housed within the Transmission shroud which makes it very compact and modular so it can be used in a variety of applications and mated to various engines like any other transmission. The CD6 platform is also designed so that the front differential for the AWD system passes through the oil pan. CD6 is also a significantly lower platform so Explorer is going to look a little low and small compared to it's competitors, not going to be a great off-roader but it should be a screamer on the roads.

I know less about the FWD systems but I'm told it's very similar to what they are using now.
Thanks for the great information!!

So yes, no EV from Ford until 2021 and nothing else 'planned' yet. Ford is touting 40% efficiency with the RWD hybrid drivetrain, which offers 8mpg on the 20 mpg big trucks/SUVs, getting them close to 30 mpg for traditional hybrid. Waiting to see how much range a Ford PHEV will offer.

Now I remember reading a Ford release taking about the modular aspect of the CD6 architecture and that it can be PHEV and EV. Which seems to explain why it's 'lower' than expected, since a lower vehicle offers better aerodynamics and fuel efficiency....which is important for EV range as well. Which also hints at the direction Ford is going with their 're-invented' sedans that may go EV as well.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ford Announces It Will Skip The 2019 Geneva Motor Show

"Instead, the Blue Oval will host its own event in spring with an emphasis on new electrified models."

'electrified' meaning hybrids and maybe the Transit or Escape PHEV.
Smart move I think. Bringing people gently and evenly paced into electrified vehicles that can be produced on existing lines is the way to go. Technology is changing fast, and investing in the wrong tech could be a disaster. I hear there are lawsuits brewing regarding the re-igniting fires from lithium batteries. Better protocols need to be introduced.

You keep repeating over and over that Ford is late to the game. The truth is, the rules of the game have not even been decided yet.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Mercedes EQS Electric Flagship Spotted For The First Time
BY MICHAEL GAUTHIER | POSTED ONJULY 31, 2018
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/mercedes-eqs-electric-flagship-spotted-first-time/

"Mercedes hasn’t said much about the EQS, but EQC chief engineer Michael Kelz has previously dropped a few hints about the car. Back in April, he described the model as an S-Class level vehicle that is “top-of-the-line” and combines luxury with an electric powertrain. He went on to say the model would be entirely separate from the S-Class.

Little else is known about the car, but reports have suggested it will ride on the MEA architecture and could be launched as early as 2020."

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Hey bloggin,
if you ever has a child who takes their time getting through college.....will you be one of those parents that informs them every time one of their child hood friends has graduated? Not cool bro. Wrong thread for this announcement.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Hey bloggin,
if you ever has a child who takes their time getting through college.....will you be one of those parents that informs them every time one of their child hood friends has graduated? Not cool bro. Wrong thread for this announcement.
Waiting for Ford/Lincoln to announce what Team Edison has been doing. This is the perfect thread because Lincoln should be announcing something similar. But from a parenting perspective, it may be better for the parent to support their child as they find their way, instead of creating a competition between children.

Cars are not children, it's business.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just a few updates as I know them right now.

Ford's BEV is actually arriving Late 2020 as a 2021 MY product. Still no news on other Fully Electric vehicles on the US or EU calendars but they are beyond 2020 regardless.

2020 Explorer HEV 3.3L (AWD Opt) + 3.0L PHEV (Not in US)
2020 Lincoln Aviator 3.0L PHEV (US & China)
2020 Escape 2.5L HEV (AWD Opt) + PHEV (FWD Only)
2021 Lincoln Corsair 2.5L HEV (AWD Opt) + PHEV (AWD Std. with a rear axle Motor)

Right now it looks like Escape is the only US Ford brand PHEV on the schedule, Lincoln gets two. I'm hoping the Explorer PHEV happens in the US but right now it's flagged as global only. No PHEVs for F-Series or Mustang planned...which would make some sense. Ford is instead focusing on HEVs for the US up front which is going into just about anything with the 10-Speed and a V6. Ford is actually running out of applications for the new C2 Hybrids in the US at this point, the 10-Speed is going to be a much bigger deal.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The Corsair appears to be a 2021 MY product, sounds like a typical extended Lincoln changeover hiatus.

The Hybrids appear to be Job 2 products so they are arriving number of months later. I have specific dates but it's about 3-4 months.

I got further confirmation that the US Explorer is not getting the PHEV, just the HEV.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm hoping I'm wrong but I'm expecting that 5L hybrid to be under the Ford Performance umbrella, and not a GT.

So, Explorer is going proper global or just to China? Hoping we'll get it here in RHD markets.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
2020 Explorer HEV 3.3L (AWD Opt) + 3.0L PHEV (Not in US)
I do hope they export the HEV Explorer.
The Explorer Sport is quite popular in the Philippines despite its premium pricing. With the hybrids now enjoying lower excise tax rates, that Explorer HEV might become a hit here.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I do hope they export the HEV Explorer.
The Explorer Sport is quite popular in the Philippines despite its premium pricing. With the hybrids now enjoying lower excise tax rates, that Explorer HEV might become a hit here.
The key to making a car popular is a very simple one; make it look good. It is why it's popular.

My question is how serious is Ford when they say they're a global brand?

161 - 180 of 188 Posts