Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a Lincoln compact FWD/AWD sedan come as early as MY2017?

Based a report from Automotive News that 'BMW has plans for a new front-wheel-drive entry-level sedan, falling in just below the existing 3-series sedan", and Lincoln's focus on targeting this entry luxury market, it's clear that an entry luxury FWD sedan is on the way.

With an internal working title NES (New Entry-level Sedan), this new FWD sedan forms part of a new range of front-wheel-drive models set to join the BMW lineup in the near future.

"The NES is integral to our growth plans," a BMW insider source revealed. "It will be an important pillar in the future 1-series lineup, particularly in the U.S. and China, where sales of small premium-brand four-door sedans are on the rise."

China is is also where Ford will be looking for a large portion of new Lincoln sales. Which could mean that a Focus based Sedan and Hatch should be on the way. And soon. Audi, BMW and MB already offer high volume compact luxury hatch models.

BMW wants a 1-series sedan to counter Audi's A3 sedan and the Mercedes CLA, both of which are based around similar front-wheel-drive underpinnings, German press reports have said in recent months. Like the competition, the new BMW model has been developed to support standard front-wheel drive and optional four-wheel drive.

This sounds like the platform for the Focus based MKC, with it's FWD and optional FWD. Which means creating a sedan 'top hat' or mini-MKZ should take less than half the development time.

Automotive News reports that the basis for the new BMW is the company's new UKL (Unter Klasse, or entry-level) structure. It will ultimately replace the 3-series sedan as the company's most affordable four-door sedan model. The UKL will make its debut underneath the new Mini hatchback at the Los Angeles auto show in November.

This also sounds like the Lincoln entry-level models, that would be positioned below an anticipated RWD Mustang based sedan/coupe/convertible that competes with the 3-series.

Due to launch in 2017, which is the same launch year of the new MY2017 Focus, the 1-series sedan will precede the third-generation 1-series hatchback, whose current rear-wheel drive will be replaced by front-wheel drive.

So what will be it first, the FWD Focus based compact sedan or the Mustang based RWD sedan/coupe/convertible?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
There was a white space vehicle scheduled for 2017 launch in Farley’s recent presentation to employees. He commented on it, but gave away no information. He also stressed the importance of the growth in China for Lincoln, so when you add it up, it sure seems to point toward something small.

I don’t mind a plan like that, as long as they give us something impressive in the MKZ and MKS. That would cover all three segment sizes nicely too.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
There was a white space vehicle scheduled for 2017 launch in Farley’s recent presentation to employees. He commented on it, but gave away no information. He also stressed the importance of the growth in China for Lincoln, so when you add it up, it sure seems to point toward something small.

I don’t mind a plan like that, as long as they give us something impressive in the MKZ and MKS. That would cover all three segment sizes nicely too.
I think that vehicle is the 4 door coupe we've been hearing about..... The timing sounds about right.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks for that, Wings. Funny thing is, I could speculate equally about either a smaller Lincoln or the "MKR" with China in mind.

A longer wheelbase, Focus-based sedan might work if that trend holds. I admit that I consider that to be a bizarre market segment, as the same money could buy a nice Fusion or something with more interior/power...but I never really got the "premium compact" segment, anyway.

The "MKR" doesn't really require any explanation beyond what so many have wanted so loudly for so long, the question is whether the new 'Stang platform has the chops to play in those M3-filled waters. I always want to think so....

But again, thanks Wings. I'm a mean ******* about Lincoln because of the Mercury thing and because of the years of unfulfilled potential from the brand...but it really is because I want The Lincoln Motor Company to grow into a true luxury brand. It would be as important for Ford's image as it would be for its engineering prowess.

Also, like 2b2, I'd like the segment just above Ford to clear out for the return of a beloved brand...:joyous:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for that, Wings. Funny thing is, I could speculate equally about either a smaller Lincoln or the "MKR" with China in mind.
You might be right 'ZanatWork' but I have to question a coupe for China. The three times I’ve had the pleasure of visiting China (and being the car nut that I am) I’ve noticed mainly sedans on the roadways. Also, a lot of these sedans were chauffeur driven. So a coupe might not be a good fit for the Chinese market. (imho) I would love to see a version of the MKR for sale in the states, rear wheel drive of course.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might be right 'ZanatWork' but I have to question a coupe for China. The three times I’ve had the pleasure of visiting China (and being the car nut that I am) I’ve noticed mainly sedans on the roadways. Also, a lot of these sedans were chauffeur driven. So a coupe might not be a good fit for the Chinese market. (imho) I would love to see a version of the MKR for sale in the states, rear wheel drive of course.
I think with China and high volume in mind, the small Lincoln would be a FWD Sedan off the Focus platform. A RWD Mustang based coupe/convertible would be more for the US and European markets.

Price and size wise, the MKZ will work well in China as an executive car, like the Fusion is positioned. Like the Escape, the rear seat cushions of the Fusion, and certainly the MKZ, have been reduced to offer more rear legroom.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln announced, after Mercury's demise, that it would take over the C-segment car in development that was suppose to launch with the new Focus. It recently admitted that a C-Segment SUV and Car was on the way, which would be the MKC and an unnamed car. So it's an absolute certainty that a Lincoln compact based on the Focus is coming soon.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Price and size wise, the MKZ will work well in China as an executive car, like the Fusion is positioned. Like the Escape, the rear seat cushions of the Fusion, and certainly the MKZ, have been reduced to offer more rear legroom.
Legroom may be fine, but MKZ headroom is tight, and it does not give the feeling of roominess the Chinese market is looking for.
I think the next gen MKZ should be a true 4 door coupe in style, and that the next MKS should be based off the same platform, but as an upright executive sedan with more room. The stretched version of the platform should offer an MKS-L and also a larger 4-door coupe. This should do until the next gen platforms arrive.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The conpact FWD luxury sedans will be the new sales battlefield for luxury carmakers. Lincoln could be the 1st in that market niche, when the Concept C was unveiled. But, now, is late. Merecedes-Benz ,with the spectacular CLA-Class, take the leadership in the segment. Soon, Audi, and BMW, and Infiniti, will enter the market too, so, Lincoln will be late for the party.

A Focus based sedan (with longer wheelbase) is a no brainer. A completly different body and interior is required. If this car is competitive in China, the succes is guaranteed.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The problem with Lincoln in this segment is that it tends to be geared toward younger, sporting, and more image conscious customers, what place does Lincoln have in that segment? Lincoln's approach sounds like the same one by the Buick Verano, which is nothing at all like the German or Japanese luxury marques. Lincoln could carve the space between, but it's not going to be terribly simple for Lincoln to pull it off successfully, we saw how well the ILX did for example.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The problem with Lincoln in this segment is that it tends to be geared toward younger, sporting, and more image conscious customers, what place does Lincoln have in that segment? Lincoln's approach sounds like the same one by the Buick Verano, which is nothing at all like the German or Japanese luxury marques. Lincoln could carve the space between, but it's not going to be terribly simple for Lincoln to pull it off successfully, we saw how well the ILX did for example.
What place did Cady have in that market a few years ago? And it appears that a major part of Lincolns Marketing & Ad strategy is aimed at younger and none traditional consumers of Lincoln. As far as a sporty 2-door I think s a great idea. They have a great platform in the focus. Make three versions, just like BMW 1 series. 2-door coupe, 2-door CC, and 4-door hatchback

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Although Lincoln wants to lower the average age of its demographic, it is not just youth that wants small luxury these days. The age group of Titanium Focus purchases is not 25-30 but more like 55-60. And it’s all about the product. If the product offers, then it will sell. I think a coupe would attract more youth anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Although Lincoln wants to lower the average age of its demographic, it is not just youth that wants small luxury these days. The age group of Titanium Focus purchases is not 25-30 but more like 55-60. And it’s all about the product. If the product offers, then it will sell. I think a coupe would attract more youth anyways.
agree with you wingsnut, a coupe will be a better offer

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
A coupe could atract young and older people... depends on what kind of coupe will make Lincoln. The traditional personal luxury coupe ( Mark coupe series,Thunderbird), atract older people. The Mustang tipe coupes atract young people. Maybe something in between the Mark and the Mustang could be the correct car for Lincoln now

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Since the cat is out of the bag regarding a Mustang based coupe, then I have to say I can’t wait to find out more about it. Powertrain options can obviously range from I4 GTDi all the way up to Coyote V8. Does anyone doubt that it will be very stylish and offer a heck of a lot of performance?

I don’t.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts