Ford Inside News banner

Is Acura working on a premium minivan?

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
#7 ·
what amazes me is that Autoblog, Leftlanenews are more interested in spy pics of this thing instead of MKX, MKS :facepalm:
I think Borg said that websites don't want MKX pictures because they expect it to look very similar to the concept. As for the MKS, it may not even be out testing on roads yet.

#8 ·
There really haven't been any MKS spy shots to be had that give anything away from my understanding. As for the MKX the very early concept debut pretty much killed most interest in padded body mules.
true although the same happen with the MKC and we have a lot of spy pics of that CUV.......Borg said that the X are running almost camo free so it would be nice to have some pics of it

#10 ·
JUST FOR THE RECORD if anyone suggests Lincoln should compete with this.. thing.. then you need to leave now before I cut you! :angry:

#14 ·
I agree. Acura is descending into Buick and Mercury territory. That worked out so well for Mercury and Oldsmobile.
At worst they're Buick like, though I personally see them as at least a small step above Buick in product and a premium minivan would change nothing about my perspective. It wasn't all that long ago that the idea of a full size, truck based premium SUV was considered absurd.

#15 ·
At worst they're Buick like, though I personally see them as at least a small step above Buick in product and a premium minivan would change nothing about my perspective. It wasn't all that long ago that the idea of a full size, truck based premium SUV was considered absurd.
To me, it's not really about the product, minivans just have that stigma. Crossovers, whether its warranted or not, kind of get a break from that stigma.

#21 ·
Odd...wonder if this has anything to do with China since Buick sells posher minivans based on Opels. I can't help but wonder if this is actually some sort of Crossover mule, but it looks like a prototype.

As for the MKS, there have been no prototypes spotted yet, there are also much more revealing photos of the MKX now available but nobody is interested. I've reported on these photos in a different thread.

#23 ·
The Honda Odyssey and Acura MDX are underpinned by the same architecture so this"Frankenstein" of sorts could very well be a mule for either an upcoming Odyssey replacement or some type of systems testing for the MDX.

To me it would seem as though Acura would be talking out of both sides of their neck to have a revived NSX, the possibility of a new small sport coupe, and a minivan all sharing space in the same showroom.

#24 ·
To me it would seem as though Acura would be talking out of both sides of the neck to have a revived NSX, the possibility of a new small sport coupe, and a minivan all sharing space in the same showroom.
Why? Mercedes has that minivan like vehicle which is actually uglier than a real minivan. They also build some awesomely powerful sports cars. Considering how much talk and praise there is around here for Lincoln doing Luxury their own way I find it odd to see Honda bashed for doing Acura their own way.

#25 ·
Why? Mercedes has that minivan like vehicle which is actually uglier than a real minivan. They also build some awesomely powerful sports cars. Considering how much talk and praise there is around here for Lincoln doing Luxury their own way I find it odd to see Honda bashed for doing Acura their own way.

Oh you mean the R-Class that Merc has since discontinued selling because no one was buying it---which further proves my point that there isn't much of a market for a luxury minivan or minivan like car outside of livery use.

I'm not bashing Honda I just believe that from a logical standpoint, considering their overall position in the market, it would make more sense for Honda to continue to devote R&D to their best selling Odyssey minivan rather than canabalizing it's sells through the introduction of an Acura clone that no one will want.

#26 ·
I personally get minivans, had several myself, totally understand their functionality....to a degree...but luxury minivans I don't get.
But hey, knock yourself out Acura.

And a funny story that my wife and I still laugh about, is that in anticipation of kid #2 our next 2 leases in a row were minivans. Immediately after signing the second lease paperwork and driving off, we each criciized the other for wanting minivans and we both realized neither of us wanted one, yet thought the other did. LOL. We had to endure another 2 years with another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.