Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my opinion hybrid and electric car market is one that has toughest competition in recent times. Word about Tesla Model 3 and Nisan Leaf are all over the internet, Prius is already an old story repeating itself every year. What about Ford C-Max? Where does C-Max fits in?

http://cardissection.com/2017-ford-c-max/

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Re: Is C-Max good enough to wrestle wit Tesla and Nissan?

C-Max is rumored to be exiting as Ford's hybrid/plug-in model when the 'new' hybrid, plug-in and EV arrives MY2018 on the new, lightweight Focus architecture with new battery packs. Next gen C-Max should still be offered in Europe as gas and diesel models, and may continue as hybrid or plug-in. It's just that that body-style does not do well in NA.

This is what the European C-Max looks like now, an update that did not come to NA.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Yeah, C-Max was an inferior effort and is going bye-bye in the US. "Model-E" on the new platform will show us what Ford is capable of.

C-Max nor Focus Electric are in the same leagues as Tesla or Volt. I'd buy Volt over either Ford in a heartbeat (and Model S over any of the others if I had the money).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ not disagreeing :thumb: just-imhos

C-Max - *might* have had a chance if it looked like an even sexier S-Max
...tho maybe with an X-road teratment;
instead of one with all its worst points condensed-exagerated

FocusBEV = WASTEofTIME! & $10k drivetrains belong in Lux vehicles

a Focus Hybrid would certainly have suited me (apt, no home charger)

[refrain] Lincoln MKZ-ENergi ASAP [/refrain]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

C-Max is near the bottom I think. It just doesnt have the wow factor to compete. Sure it's going to be gone from our market soon as from my understanding Ford is working on a dedicated hybrid/electric car.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Looking at USA C-Max sales history, it was doing IMO very very good up to August 2013 when Ford was called out on the loop holing game and voluntarily revised the FE.

Claiming poor looks etc doesn't make sense to me with so many buying the weirdo looking Prius and such.
The Leaf is quite an odd duck as well.

Ford facked any chance the C-Maxi's had in the USA with their stupidity.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts

Looking at USA C-Max sales history, it was doing IMO very very good up to August 2013 when Ford was called out on the loop holing game and voluntarily revised the FE.

Claiming poor looks etc doesn't make sense to me with so many buying the weirdo looking Prius and such.
The Leaf is quite an odd duck as well.

Ford facked any chance the C-Maxi's had in the USA with their stupidity.
In the US, the Prius sales was tied to bragging rights of the highest mpg. But now that plug-in hybrids looking much better offers even more MPG than a Prius, even with the new model, sales are sliding fast. C-Max had a sales surge at launch in 2013, Ford positioning it against the larger Prius v. Besting it in mpg for that time. But after Ford got busted for gaming the system, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid......C-Max never recovered and Ford still can't boast about hybrid mpg without the vehicle having a plug. The other issue is that the C-Max(Fusion) is a quite heavy retrofit for a hybrid. Just offering a hybrid drivetrain, without being purpose built to be a hybrid.

Ford's new hybrid, plug-in and EV coming should correct previous miss-steps. At this this point, Ford needs to put the same focus on this new hybrid/electric vehicle brand as they do with pick-up trucks. Reaching far ahead of the competition with super lightweight materials(aluminum/high strength steel/carbon fiber) for platforms and bodies, new more powerful battery cell chemistry, new lighter weight battery packs well integrated into platforms, new hybrid drivetrains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts